Video card going or is it something else?

vbimport

A few weeks ago when I would boot up, my monitor would hum. The humming stopped, but around that time I notice that some of the text looked odd, like it was very low definition. Some lines of text would look OK and the next looked weird. Sometimes it was fine other times not. I assumed it was the monitor, so when I saw a nice BenQ on the 'egg, I bought it. The monitor looks great, but the text issue persists. Now I’m wondering if it’s my video card (ATI Radeon HD 4870). The device manager says it’s working properly. Any ideas? I already spent money on a monitor I didn’t need and I don’t want to start replacing things willy-nilly. Thanks.

Do you have any relatively modern games? If so, a modern pc game will stress the card and show up any weaknesses.

And you might check the card itself first. See if there is any dust built up in the heatsink, whether the heatsink is still connected well, and if the fan spins up under stress.

There is also Furmark, but I’d be a little wary of running a GPU stress test on equipment that you are a bit dubious about to begin with.

[QUOTE=ricoman;2681066]A few weeks ago when I would boot up, my monitor would hum. The humming stopped, but around that time I notice that some of the text looked odd, like it was very low definition. Some lines of text would look OK and the next looked weird. Sometimes it was fine other times not. I assumed it was the monitor, so when I saw a nice BenQ on the 'egg, I bought it. The monitor looks great, but the text issue persists. Now I’m wondering if it’s my video card (ATI Radeon HD 4870). The device manager says it’s working properly. Any ideas? I already spent money on a monitor I didn’t need and I don’t want to start replacing things willy-nilly. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Check your drivers to see if they are up to date…otherwise it does seem to indicate since you try a new monitor that the GPU is reaching it life span usage. Beyond growing dust bunnies and if that is the case taking it out and blowing out the dust bunnies will help cooling but if the GPU is ready to take a retirement no amount of cleaning will do and you will end up getting another GPU in the end.

Drivers are up to date, blew out system. If issue persist or gets worse, do you have any recommendations under $200? I’m not really a gamer, just occasionally, I do video and some CADD. System info:
Win7 Professional
Intel i7 Quadcore
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
2x 1TB WD + multiple externals
8 gb ram
ATI Radeon HD 4870
Pioneer BDR-205 & 115D, BenQ 1640, LG4167B

For gaming, a good mid level card would be something like the Radeon HD 7850. For HD video I’m still fine with my old 4850, so I doubt you’d need anything that capable for just watching video or even light editing work.

For CADD? Beyond my knowledge.

Thanks, that’s what I was looking at, the Radeon HD 7850.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2681232]For CADD? Beyond my knowledge.[/QUOTE]

That’s always hard to know unless you can tell us the specs that you need to use for CADD. But Kerry56 suggestion should suit you for some time to come and casual gaming…

after reading other peoples anectdotes on the 1gb 7850, i would suggest getting the 2gb version. although, depending on the sale you can get the 7870 for roughly the same price As a 2gb 7850.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2681257]after reading other peoples anecdotes on the 1gb 7850, i would suggest getting the 2gb version. although, depending on the sale you can get the 7870 for roughly the same price As a 2gb 7850.[/QUOTE]

1G or 2G if the software doesn’t use it that just a waste of money. If the software isn’t made to full usage of the GPU memory your just tossing away money for nothing when they can get a higher GPU that will run circles around a 2G card. The 7870 will run circles around older card regardless of what one may think…Newer GPU Nvidia or AMD will always outperform older GPU at the higher end chipsets…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2681264]1G or 2G if the software doesn’t use it that just a waste of money. If the software isn’t made to full usage of the GPU memory your just tossing away money for nothing when they can get a higher GPU that will run circles around a 2G card. The 7870 will run circles around older card regardless of what one may think…Newer GPU Nvidia or AMD will always outperform older GPU at the higher end chipsets…[/QUOTE]

Gamers have complained about the 1Gb version of the 7850. The OP said he plays games. And he said he was looking at it. Therefore, I suggested the 2Gb version.

[There are also] decent newer video card like the HD7770 or GTX 650, which are both around $100 or lower with sales, rebates, or coupons.

Changed the video cable?
Not wrapped around the power cables or vice-versa?

[QUOTE=debro;2681322]Changed the video cable?
Not wrapped around the power cables or vice-versa?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess that’s worth a try before I spend money on a gpu. I’ll have to run out and get a dvi cable.

[one post edited, one post removed. I’m quite fond of the idea of working together to help the original poster; I’m significantly less fond of people snipping at each other for no reason.]

[QUOTE=Albert;2681505][one post edited, one post removed. I’m quite fond of the idea of working together to help the original poster; I’m significantly less fond of people snipping at each other for no reason.][/QUOTE]

Yes! :clap:

If you haven’t resolved your video card problem and are still looking for a new one, you might want to check The Egg. These deals are only good for 48 hrs.

MSI Twin Frozr 2Gb HD7850 $169 after rebate with Free Bioshock and Tomb Raider+3D Mark:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127663&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL031913&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL031913--EMC-031913-Index--DesktopGraphicsVideoCards-_-14127663-L010A

GTX 650Ti 119.99 after rebate with $75 game coupon that you could flip on eBay:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130839&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL031913&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL031913--EMC-031913-Index--DesktopGraphicsVideoCards-_-14130839-L010B

http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en - might be useful to check, a program designed to check not the GPU, but the graphics RAM, in similar fashion to Memtest for system RAM.

It sounds like some of the graphics memory may be bad.

Are you sure it isn’t the monitor? I had a monitor that made the same issues you just explained and it went out a few weeks later maybe it lasted longer can’t remember.

[QUOTE=Matth;2681922]http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en - might be useful to check, a program designed to check not the GPU, but the graphics RAM, in similar fashion to Memtest for system RAM.

It sounds like some of the graphics memory may be bad.[/QUOTE]

Tried it, it didn’t show and errors.

@Dr. Who: I changed monitors, still no joy.

Well, after some more researching, I don’t think it’s my video card or monitor after all. It’s my browser Foxfire! For anyone who might hear of a similar problem who is using Foxfire, go to Tools>Options>General and uncheck Use Hardware Acceleration When Available. It seemed to take care of the weird text issues. I’ll post in 3 days to let you know if the problem has come back. Sure is aggravating that my browser would be the problem, seems like Foxfire has had a lot of bug the last year or so. It was crashing regularly until a few months ago, fixed after a few updates. Now I have 2 monitors and my desk is really too small to set them both up. :doh:
I guess I’ll save some money on a video card, but I was just warming up to the idea of an upgrade.:bigsmile: