Video Capture / Editing Hardware Question

vbimport

Hey guys. I just bought my first DVD burner. I want to hook up my VCR and convert my old home movies to DVD. I have an old video card lying around that has video-in jacks to capture video. I was thinking of simply hooking that up to my computer and using that.

Question - It’s an old card. I believe it is a “RAGE FURY PRO 32MB w/Video-in and TV-out”. My system itself is fairly powerful (Athlon 2400, 1 gig ram, 80gb hard drive). Does the card itself make a difference in the quality of the video, or the speed in which it is processed? Also, does the speed of the video editing program rely on the video card, or the cpu, ram, etc.?

If it matters, how much of a difference does it make, and what would be a good recommendation for a new one, keeping in mind that I want to spend as little as possible? :stuck_out_tongue:

If this would be better answered in another forum, please direct me. Thanks!

I don’t think there will be a performance problem just because it is an older graphics card, it is designed to handle NTSC video and that is what you are trying to capture. It should do just fine. Perhaps trying to capture a larger, non-standard video type might be a problem with an older card. Findng current drivers (for Windows XP) however may be an issue. Check the ATI site…

What could cause problems with the video conversion is the speed of the host system, in other words your CPU/hard disk and possibly the slot for the video card. The analog video data is recieved by the ATI RAGE FURY PRO, stored in on-board graphics memory, the on-board DAC chip converts the analog video to digital (the RAGE FURY PRO has a 300 MHz DAC), the video is then transfered over the AGP slot to the system memory and then written onto your hard drive.

What causes dropped frames or out-of-sync audio/video is when the CPU or hard drive is not fast enough to keep up with the video, for example if the hard drive is fragmented, or the CPU or HDD is busy performing another task. Just ensure that no other programs are running while you are capturing the video (check for programs running in the background like an anti-virus program) and that the disk space you are capturing to is (ideally) a separate, defragmented hard disk or partition.

If you are capturing a long segment of video (several hours), to be safe, you might want to break up the capture, stop the video tape at an appropriate point, save the video file, then start a new capture. You will be able to edit (join) these seperate file slater in Adobe Premiere.

Yeah, what he said. Basically the most important thing is to have a dedicated HD just for transferring video to/from. And ensure that you don’t have any unnecessary background tasks running. You won’t get professional quality with that card, but it should be good enough for home use…

The set-up you have should be adaquate. I have the ATI AIW pro 9000. You can capture to avi mpeg 1/2 on the fly with this card. The captures are really good and you can apply filters to clean up the video as you capture.