Video camera to DVD

vbimport

I am having terrible trouble getting my video files from my JVC HDHDD (TOD files) to play properly on DVD. I abandoned the software that came with the camera as it is far too involved for an old girl like me - and purchased Corel VideoStudio Pro X2 Ultimate as it was one of the few that I could find that supported TOD files. Now I can get the files transferred to the DVD but for some reason the whole lot of the files cannot be viewed…the DVD freezes all the time…not at the same place each time. I am so mad with it I feel like throwing it out the window!! VHS was so much easier!! Can anyone help me - any advice would be graefully received.:frowning:

Vicki

Hello Vicki. Can you tell us a little about your computer. What version of windows is it, if it’s a store bought pc, what brand and model. What program are you using to burn the files to DVD? What brand of blank DVD’s are you using? Do you know at what speed it is burning the DVD’s? Give us a little more information please and we might be better able to help.

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. It is a Dell Dimension 5150 - store bought with XP Professional. I am using Corel VideoStudio Pro X2 Ultimate and using Verbatim DVD-R Gold Archival - Printable DVDs. I chose the Corel software as it seemed to be one of the very few that supports TOD files. As far as the speed it is burning, I think it might be 8X but I would need to confirm that with my son who has been helping me - we have been using his Dell computer, but in the future I will use my Lenovo (IBM) laptop with Vista Business but we need to get it sorted on the Dell computer first before we start trying another! I really appreciate your help. Vicki.

Well, there doesn’t seem to be too many others jumping on this thread and it really isn’t my area of expertise, but we’ll do what we can.
I think we can eliminate the disks and the burn speed as being part of the problem. When you played the DVD was it on the computer or on a stand alone DVD player? I’m guessing that Corel Studio creates a standard DVD video structure and vob files. lf you put the DVD in the computer DVD drive and click on My Computer and right click the DVD drive and select Explore, do you see a video_ts folder? And if you double click that folder do you see a video_ts.bup, video_ts.ifo and some files with a VOB extension? That will tell you that it’s a valid DVD video structure. If you still have the files on your hard drive, the same ones that you burned, you can try playing them with a software video player like VLC or even windows media player. If they do not play smoothly or at all, then something is not right during the creation process and perhaps there are some settings in Corel Studio that need to be changed.

You might try renaming the “File name.TOD” to “File name.MPG” ,Then a whole host of free video converters should work.

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2190550]You might try renaming the “File name.TOD” to “File name.MPG” ,Then a whole host of free video converters should work.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are right, she could just run them through ffmpeg for the proper conversion but I thought that since Vicki already has two software programs to work with, adding more options would just add to the confusion, maybe not.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I now just have to wait for my son to do this for me - he will take a look at it at the weekend. Can you both just keep an eye on this thread for me over the weekend and I will let you know if your suggestions work. I really appreciate your help!
Vicki

[QUOTE=vicbobby;2191111]Thank you so much for your suggestions. I now just have to wait for my son to do this for me - he will take a look at it at the weekend. Can you both just keep an eye on this thread for me over the weekend and I will let you know if your suggestions work. I really appreciate your help!
Vicki[/QUOTE]
Sure can

Hi again…I have just been talking to my son on the phone (he is away on holidays until Sunday and will be able to give me more information on his return) he said to tell you that the DVD has ISO files. It will play in my DVD player, but when we play it on the computer it gets half way through and just stops and disappears off the screen. In my brother’s DVD player it will play half way through and then freeze and when he tries it again it will only go about a third of the way through and then stop. Anyway, I will send a message to you again when Jimmy gets home on Sunday - I may get him to talk to you as he is so much more computer savvy than this old girl!! LOL
Thanks again, guys…I am assuming you are guys!!!:slight_smile:

Me again…Whappo, I did what you asked and checked the video_ts folder and all those files that you asked me to checkare definitely there: video_tsbup, video_ts.info etc and also VOB extension. So it looks as though you may be right and something is going wrong during the creation process…BUT why will it play on my DVD player and not on others? Very strange indeed.

Vicki

It’s me yet again!! I am gathering as much information as I can and even though you guys may not check this thread until the weekend I am sending this info through just in case you check beforehand. I just had an email from my brother to whom I sent the DVD and he says: " I played the DVD in my laptop and it stopped about a third of the way through…I then played it on the DVD player connected to the TV and it stopped about half way through (a little further than the laptop)…but when I put it in the desktop computer it would not play at all." This is very interesting compared to my experience with the same DVD which would play all the way through on my DVD player which is connected to the TV, but stopped half way through on the desktop. The plot thickens!!!
Vicki

Well, it doesn’t appear to be anything with the making of the video files, if they play on some players and not on others it’s usually an indication of low quality media or too fast a burn speed. Plus the age of the stand alone DVD player, but since it won’t play correctly on the PC, I am just guessing that it’s the burn speed or the burning program. Make sure to burn at 8X and check the results. If that doesn’t help we can try another burning program, Imgburn, when your son gets home this weekend.

Hi guys…some more information from my son, Jimmy. He says to tell you that he burnt the first DVD using Corel VideoStudio Pro and he also created an image at the same time. When the DVD from Corel gave him problems on playback, he tried burning the image using Imgburn. He actually played the image file (that he burnt using Imgburn) through VLC Media Player on his PC to confirm that the file was not currupted and it was fine - it was totally successful. Now to add to the drama - I have just played the DVD again in my own DVD player which is connected to the TV - it played through perfectly earlier in the week but today it freezes about 10 minutes into the DVD - sits there for a while and then starts all over again at the beginning. It’s all very strange.
Vicki