VidCoder (Updates)

I’ve been doing some conversions lately with ffmpeg.
I have also done a couple with VidCoder.
When I wasn’t able to get ffmpeg to add any subtitles to a .MP4 I decide to try VidCoder at this.
VidCoder only allowed one subtitle in the .MP4 & it hardcoded that subtitle.
I was using h265 for this…
MPC-HC with LAV filters added will play the VidCoder .mp4 & .mkv files.
The ffmpeg ones too.

VLC player even the nightly builds don’t play them correctly.
There are some grayed out frames & also pauses.
.mkvs with a resolution 1536x864 or less wiil play OK but sometimes have pauses.
Larger like a strait copy from a blu-ray such as 1920x1080 have the problems .

Just wondering if anyone else has tested a h265 conversion with VLC .

[QUOTE=cholla;2742762]I’ve been doing some conversions lately with ffmpeg.
I have also done a couple with VidCoder.
When I wasn’t able to get ffmpeg to add any subtitles to a .MP4 I decide to try VidCoder at this.
VidCoder only allowed one subtitle in the .MP4 & it hardcoded that subtitle.
I was using h265 for this…
MPC-HC with LAV filters added will play the VidCoder .mp4 & .mkv files.
The ffmpeg ones too.

VLC player even the nightly builds don’t play them correctly.
There are some grayed out frames & also pauses.
.mkvs with a resolution 1536x864 or less wiil play OK but sometimes have pauses.
Larger like a strait copy from a blu-ray such as 1920x1080 have the problems .

Just wondering if anyone else has tested a h265 conversion with VLC .[/QUOTE]

I have and after I figured out the correct setting for H265 (1280X720P) they came out great, play fine on VLC also.

@ alan ,
I used this list:
Width Height Display True 16:9
1920 1080 1080pHD Yes
1792 1008 Yes
1664 936 Yes
1536 864 Yes
1408 792 Yes
1280 720 720pHD Yes

Since the BD Sintel.iso I had mounted in Virtual CloneDrive was
1920x1080 I started with it . Then I worked down .
I can play the 1536x864 OK with VLC . I didn’t try any between that & 1664x936 since I wanted to stay with a true 16:9 . So there could be a resolution above the 1536x864 that would work.

I assumed that someone working with blu-ray would want their .mkv backup in the higher resolution.
I also stuck with passthrough for the Audio which is 6 channel AC3 .
I’m sure that AAC LC 2 channel would be pretty good & a lot smaller.

If you want a separate subtitle stream when using VidCoder, select mkv output. I believe the only option with mp4 is for subtitles to be burned in.

C/P: Released VidCoder 1.5.30: https://vidcoder.codeplex.com/releases/view/169469

• Re-enabled Turbo First Pass for x265 encodes. (Working this time)

• Fixed missing Russian, Polish and Brazilian Portuguese language files.

• Fixed NL-Means denoiser.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2742773]If you want a separate subtitle stream when using VidCoder, select mkv output. I believe the only option with mp4 is for subtitles to be burned in.[/QUOTE]

You are correct Kerry . I had to figure this out with trial & error.
You can only select one subtitle language with .mp4.
Probably because several burned in subtitles would be bad to watch.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2742773]If you want a separate subtitle stream when using VidCoder, select mkv output. I believe the only option with mp4 is for subtitles to be burned in.[/QUOTE] You can add (import) SRT subtitles and merge them when making an MP4 file in VidCoder; you don’t have to burn in the subtitle. I have done so recently with VidCoder 1.5.28 and this option is still there in 1.5.30 although I haven’t actually encoded a video that way in the newest version.

EDIT:

I have just tried encoding a 5 minute clip using 1.5.30 and I can attach two different SRT subtitles when encoding to MP4 no problem and the result works fine in VLC where I can select which subtitle to show.

EDIT2:

This is using h.264 not h.265 encoding BTW.

[QUOTE=Thunderbolt69;2742775]C/P: Released VidCoder 1.5.30: https://vidcoder.codeplex.com/releases/view/169469

• Re-enabled Turbo First Pass for x265 encodes. (Working this time)

• Fixed missing Russian, Polish and Brazilian Portuguese language files.

• Fixed NL-Means denoiser.[/QUOTE]

Thanks:clap:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2742787]You can add (import) SRT subtitles and merge them when making an MP4 file in VidCoder; you don’t have to burn in the subtitle. I have done so recently with VidCoder 1.5.28 and this option is still there in 1.5.30 although I haven’t actually encoded a video that way in the newest version.

EDIT:

I have just tried encoding a 5 minute clip using 1.5.30 and I can attach two different SRT subtitles when encoding to MP4 no problem and the result works fine in VLC where I can select which subtitle to show.

EDIT2:

This is using h.264 not h.265 encoding BTW.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks for the info Drage. This only works for SRT subtitles I take it? Most of the subtitles I use are from Blu-ray and are not in this format.

Also, I always make mkv files, so mp4 is not my normal choice.

Just did a test, and when working with PGS subtitles in a Blu-ray, the only output option was for them to be burned into the mp4. MKV allows a separate stream with these.

Is there a way/work arround to switch the desired subtitle tracks its position from last to first / bottom to top and save its as default preset in vidcoder like in handbrake !??

I want to save the desired langauge possition as default so that by browsing and opening an new dvd/bd structure al the time the subtitles automatically are repositioned to where i want them to be all the time !?

If only that woud be possible, vidcoder woud be perfect for me :iagree: .

Because, for some reason only the subtitle on top / first in line seems to play be default in vid players !!?

using the default or forced checkbox in vidcoder next to the subtitle i want to show in movie playback doesnt do the trick :confused: !!

oh well…

I found what Dreg posted looking on the Internet.
\ The BD .iso I’ve been playing with has PGS subtitles.
These worked with an .mkv.
I just wanted to see what could be done with a .mp4.
No reason except I wanted to the .mkv works fine.

[QUOTE=Jannenba;2742792]Is there a way/work arround to switch the desired subtitle tracks its position from last to first / bottom to top and save its as default preset in vidcoder like in handbrake !??

I want to save the desired langauge possition as default so that by browsing and opening an new dvd/bd structure al the time the subtitles automatically are repositioned to where i want them to be all the time !?[/QUOTE] I don’t think subtitle positions are saved in the presets, but in Options you can set your preferred subtitle language to French and then the first French subtitle will be automatically selected and at the top of the list. Klingon and Na’vi subtitles would then not be selected at all unless you go into the Subtitles window and manually select them. There’s also an option to automatically select all subtitle tracks in your favourite language.

I don’t think there’s a way to automatically select subtitles in multiple languages in a preferred order, however.

DrageMester has the correct way to do this in post #33.
The only addition I might make is you might uncheck “Only if different language from audio” . That would make the subtitle in the language you selected always first in the subtitle order. You can only do this for one subtitle language That is as much as I know how to do .It will remain the default until you change it.

The next thing you can do & you have to do this for each different video .
Is chose the “Edit” button . In the main window. You can drag the subtitles into the order you want them. These will not remain the default .

Last & I don’t know if this can be used for this or what can be added to it.
There is a “more settings” box in Settings/Video . I couldn’t find much information on using this feature. If the correct settings were added there it would seem that a “custom” setting could be made there to set a “default” subtitle order. I sure don’t know how to do that.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2742797]I don’t think subtitle positions are saved in the presets, but in Options you can set your preferred subtitle language to French and then the first French subtitle will be automatically selected and at the top of the list. Klingon and Na’vi subtitles would then not be selected at all unless you go into the Subtitles window and manually select them. There’s also an option to automatically select all subtitle tracks in your favourite language.

I don’t think there’s a way to automatically select subtitles in multiple languages in a preferred order, however.[/QUOTE]

I think u read me wrong dragemester!

the possition of → ALL ← subtitles can be customized in different order but not SAVED as preset unlike in Handbrake !!
Handbrake allows u to choose which subtitle you want to have in chronological order and SAVE IT :clap: by dEFAULT .

So that every bd/dvd structure you open in handbrake automatically obey by that preset !!

I know that, and thats the downside with vidcoder currently !!!

I know well you can choose A preffered language in options from vidcoder, but the catch is that you only end with 1 subtitle stream in the final MKV encoded file !!! yes, the one you have selected in options by default u see !!

WHAT i DO NOT UNDERSTAND IS, and thats somthing the coder easily can fix me thinks is…

You can however choose the preffered language (french or english or whatever) and at the same time check the box " Include all other streams"

But here it gets contraproductive :rolleyes:!µ

when i do that i will have my prefered sub track at the top and forced to display on playback uhuh…
but all the other remaining tracks that vidcoder is supposed to add (checkbox “[U]include all tracks[/U]” in options!) are not CHECKED :confused:

They are there alright , but not checked (V) and therefor wont be added to my final MKV file :confused:

That doesnt make sense!! Why woud vidcoder allow us to add remaining tracks in option but NOT select them automatically so that all tracks are included in the final mkv file !!!

cheers,

[QUOTE=Jannenba;2742833]You can however choose the preffered language (french or english or whatever) and at the same time check the box " Include all other streams"

But here it gets contraproductive :rolleyes:!µ

when i do that i will have my prefered sub track at the top and forced to display on playback uhuh…
but all the other remaining tracks that vidcoder is supposed to add (checkbox “[U]include all tracks[/U]” in options!) are not CHECKED :confused: …[/QUOTE] The “Include all tracks” option in the Automatic Subtitle Selection section does not include all tracks of all languages but only all tracks of the preferred language (there can be more than one).

I guess in this respect Handbrake is better.

In some other respects VidCoder is better (e.g. the possibility to only use QSV for encoding but not for decoding, which is necessary to encode to different framerate such as from 50 fps to 25 fps).

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2742877]The “Include all tracks” option in the Automatic Subtitle Selection section does not include all tracks of all languages but only all tracks of the preferred language (there can be more than one).

I guess in this respect Handbrake is better.

In some other respects VidCoder is better (e.g. the possibility to only use QSV for encoding but not for decoding, which is necessary to encode to different framerate such as from 50 fps to 25 fps).[/QUOTE]

Yes i should have know as much… It Include all tracks from the prefered language is what vidcoder does indeed !! All the tracks from the same language like CC, Director comments and so on :rolleyes:

actually i thought as much … else it woudnt make sense why vidcoder woud show all the rest of the subtitles but not select them by default !!

I woudn’t say handbrake is better then vidcoder, since vidcoder is based on handbrake isnt it … and not the other way arround right?

But yeah, right now vidcoder is my preffered choice despite of the subtitle possition nuicance.

I mean, NLmeans seems to be fixed… I very much like how the video/audio settings such as bitrates can be applied and still customized to Jobs that already are added to the queue list…

Saves a LOAd of time too :iagree:

Cuz, 1 season of startrek can have as much as 26 episodes at an bitrate of 1800 Kb/sec to just fit on a 1 BD-25 :stuck_out_tongue: … Yeah , i know its way undersized… but theres an reason for :iagree:

i need some headroom to fit the custom menu’s i made in Adobe AE :stuck_out_tongue: + plus multiavchd / tsmuxer adds another 160 MB per file/episode to put it in a m2TS container and for menu transitions and what not :doh:

So yyea, have some calculations to do depending on which TV-series i have to do to convert and sqeeuze 1 full season on 1 BD-25 hehe…

cheers,

VidCoder 1.5.31 released: http://vidcoder.codeplex.com/releases/view/573954

[B]New in 1.5.31[/B]

[ul]
[li]Fixed up old presets generated in 1.5.28 that were corrupted by a HandBrake enum change. Removed references to HandBrake enum files from the preset structure to prevent future preset issues like this.[/li]> [li]Fixed crash issue with VidCoderCLI and presets with chapters markers.[/li]> [li]Fixed custom denoise not getting passed through to the encoder.[/li]> [li]Fixed SRT files with non-ASCII characters causing encodes to fail.[/li]> [/ul]

pitty you STILL can’t save preffered subtitle possition from imported DVD/BD structure :sad:.

Else VC (not to be confused with viet cong) woud be perfect for my NEEDS :iagree:

Just started to convert ALL 5 Seasons of Fringe from DVD to BD with custom made menu’s in Adobe AE …

Menu project in AE is getting shape and looks awesome :iagree:

Uhhh… on more thing… hehehe … → Here’s← an menu sample i created in AE for the TV-Serie Columbo :slight_smile:

C/P: Released VidCoder 2.2 Beta:

https://vidcoder.codeplex.com/releases/view/614798

Updated HandBrake SVN to 7149, which uses the new JSON API. This changes the way every encode setting is sent to the HandBrake core, so please kick the tires on this one!