VidCoder (Updates)

vbimport

VidCoder is a video conversion program which uses Handbrake as its encoding engine. VidCoder offers the same strengths of Handbrake, plus some options which have been discarded by the Handbrake team. Output can be either MP4 or MKV file formats, using either H264 or H265 video codecs. A variety of audio codecs are available, including AAC, AC3, MP3, Flac and Vorbis.

VidCoder is free to use.

The latest version of VidCoder is 1.5.28. Here is the changelog for that edition:
[I]1.5.28

Intel QuickSync video: a hardware-based H.264 encoder for Intel CPUs.
H.265 encoding with x265.
VP8 using libvpx.
libav and FDK AAC encoders. libfaac has been removed due to license issues.
NLMeans denoise filter for higher-quality denoising.
OpenCL hardware-assisted BiCubic scaling.
Burn-in for SRT subtitles.
Added Encode Details window. Exposes elapsed time, ETA, current and average FPS, running file size, current pass and pass progress.
Added Rip DVD and Rip Blu-ray AutoPlay actions for Windows: now you can have VidCoder start up and scan a disc when you insert it.
Added rotation and reflection filters.
Reworked Basic vs Advanced x264 to be more correct.
Added option to mark an automatically picked subtitle as Default or Burn-in.
Reworked audio passthrough: added ability to set a fallback encoder or pass through if the input track format matches the output format.
Added option to preserve Created and Last Modified times when converting files. In Options -> Advanced.
Added option to preserve the source folder structure when batch-encoding video files.
Enabled right-click actions (edit, delete, move to top, move to bottom) on queued items during an encode.
Added warning dialog with 30-second delay for the automatic shutdown on encode complete.
Removed single-instance restriction.
Support for up to 8K resolutions.[/I]

When you use the link in Kerry’s post .
Don’t just select “Download” unless you have a 64 bit OS.
I did the first time .
I then had to select the “Downloads” tab & scroll down.
There are portables there also.
My version had gotten a bit old so I decided I needed this new one.

Tip: If you want to use the h.264 Intel QSV (Quick Sync Video) Encoder, you might have to update your display driver - I had to.

I use Vidcoder for H265 with Intel Quick Sync Video and its absolutely amazing. Some say this is just Handbrake with a different GUI but I am not so sure, I am not saying it isn’t , but if it is, they have done a great job of making Handbrake easier than it already was.:wink: I have donated to the developers, and I would pay for this program if they someday decided to make it a private for profit program. Its worth it.

VidCoder is Handbrake with a different GUI…kind of. There are some additional options you can change in VidCoder, which for H.264 Intel QSV is essential for me, because the settings available in Handbrake 0.10.0 aren’t enough to produce the encode I want from HDTV recording.
I need to set framerate and disable QSV decoding and only use QSV encoding in order to correctly convert from 50i and 50p to 25p, which I can do in VidCoder but not in Handbrake.

Until now I’ve been using Handbrake far more than VidCoder but I think this will change now.

[B]1.5.29
[/B]
Fixed issue where x265 preset and profile would not be set if switching from x264 with the Advanced tab open.
Removed Turbo First Pass option for x265 since the arguments for it are unsupported and cause encodes to fail.
Fixed issue where presets could get a bad tune list and fail on x265 encodes.
Cleared out Advanced options string when switching from x264 to x265 since the encoder arguments aren’t always compatible.
Updated translations.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2741851]I use Vidcoder for H265 with Intel Quick Sync Video and its absolutely amazing. Some say this is just Handbrake with a different GUI but I am not so sure, I am not saying it isn’t , but if it is, they have done a great job of making Handbrake easier than it already was.:wink: I have donated to the developers, and I would pay for this program if they someday decided to make it a private for profit program. Its worth it.[/QUOTE]

Also use VidCoder, but I found the option to put in h265 with Intel Quick Sync Video, can you tell me how did you use? Thank you

[QUOTE=M4Z1NH0;2742395]Also use VidCoder, but I found the option to put in h265 with Intel Quick Sync Video, can you tell me how did you use? Thank you[/QUOTE] I’m not sure I understand your question, but h.265 Intel Quick Sync Video encoding is only available on 4th+ generation Intel Core processors (Haswell and later), not on e.g. 2nd generation Sandy Bridge or 3rd generation Ivy Bridge processors.

It probably also requires an up-to-date Intel Display driver.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2742397]I’m not sure I understand your question, but h.265 Intel Quick Sync Video encoding is only available on 4th+ generation Intel Core processors (Haswell and later), not on e.g. 2nd generation Sandy Bridge or 3rd generation Ivy Bridge processors.

[B]It probably also requires an up-to-date Intel Display driver[/B].[/QUOTE]
You are correct.:bow:

Hi folks,

I have been using handbrake/vidcoder in addition with multiavchd for quite some time now to convert DVD TV serries (columbo, fringe, the shield etc etc) to MKV to make an 1 Bluray disc Season of it .

Now, My ONLY QuESTioin and PLEA at the same time is … Is it possible to change bitrate from the jobs that are already added to the queue list ???

If not, is it already proposed to the developers/programmers of these neat apps to implement that function in anyway near the future ?

I realy like to see that happend ,because i never know how many episodes in total (all discs) there are if u read from Vob/dvd or bluray structures you see !!

But before u add an job to the list you NEED to set the bitrate right so that all epics fit 1 bluray discs you see my delimma!!

thanks

[QUOTE=Jannenba;2742431] Is it possible to change bitrate from the jobs that are already added to the queue list ???[/QUOTE] In the latest VidCoder you can edit items in the queue and change bitrate and anything else you want to change and then add the item back to the queue. I’m not sure about the latest Handbrake.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2742432]In the latest VidCoder you can edit items in the queue and change bitrate and anything else you want to change and then add the item back to the queue. I’m not sure about the latest Handbrake.[/QUOTE]

If i recall correct, vidcoder will even detect any bitrate changes and ask me to apply the new value to the jobs in the queue list indeed.

But vidcoder is not an option for me right now!!!

I had to move over to handbrake , because for some reason vidcoder is VERY VERY slow (almost crawl speed) when i use the denoiser filter “NLmeans” !!!

whereas with Handbrake i get neat speeds of arround 22Fps :bigsmile:

The NLmeans denoise filter does a MUCH MUCH better job than HQ3D denoiser for sure, especially for old TV serries like columbo, magnum etc…
it REALY SMOOTHENS image whitout loosing details to much… Something HQ3D fail to do regardless of the settings, custom or predefined !!
seriously, tis almost as clean as HD content but then whitout the crisp clear sharpness ofcourse …

Although… sharpness can be achieved a bit by using an H264 setting in extra options :slight_smile:

cheers,

…oh almost forget…

The issue i have had with the nlmeans denoiser wos in vidcoder build 1.5.28 already !!

just checked the changelog since 1.5.28, and nothing has been changed or fixed about the filters yet…

so, its probebly no use to go back and try out vidcoder 1.5.29 !

[QUOTE=Jannenba;2742438]But vidcoder is not an option for me right now!!!

I had to move over to handbrake , because for some reason vidcoder is VERY VERY slow (almost crawl speed) when i use the denoiser filter “NLmeans” !!![/QUOTE]
For fun I just tried encoding a 7 minute clip from a DVD using VidCoder 1.5.28 with rhe x264 encoder at Constant Quality 22 with Decomb set to default and Denoise set to NL-means Medium and x264 preset set to medium.

I’m using my laptop with an i7 Ivy Bridge Quad Core processor at 2.3 GHz with TurboBost to 3.1 GHz.

It was encoded at 36 fps. I don’t think that was too bad. Handbrake 0.10.0 encodes at the same speed when using same settings.

In VidCoder 1.5.29 I can set Denoise to NL-means but the setting is ignored and automatically resets itself to Off or hqdn3d so there’s some bug there.

I’m guessing that there is some significant difference in the settings you are using for VidCoder and Handbrake that you are not aware off, that’s making them encode at different speeds.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2742450]For fun I just tried encoding a 7 minute clip from a DVD using VidCoder 1.5.28 with rhe x264 encoder at Constant Quality 22 with Decomb set to default and Denoise set to NL-means Medium and x264 preset set to medium.

I’m using my laptop with an i7 Ivy Bridge Quad Core processor at 2.3 GHz with TurboBost to 3.1 GHz.

It was encoded at 36 fps. I don’t think that was too bad. Handbrake 0.10.0 encodes at the same speed when using same settings.

In VidCoder 1.5.29 I can set Denoise to NL-means but the setting is ignored and automatically resets itself to Off or hqdn3d so there’s some bug there.

I’m guessing that there is some significant difference in the settings you are using for VidCoder and Handbrake that you are not aware off, that’s making them encode at different speeds.[/QUOTE]

36FPs on an notebook :eek: … but then again … decomb is an performance hit too when set on highest bob like i did…

but actually matters not much as soon as u use nlmeans denoiser !!

Iam using FX-8350 @4500mhz
And i did the test and lowered the clock frequences of my cpu…

Guess wot, the same performance of 22ish :eek:
Then i thought maybe is NLmeans more gpu based… could that be it ?

But then again, if that were the case i should have beaten ur 36fps with ease since i have an HD7950 boost 3GB!!

Yet the fps rate stay’s fixed while aLL cores are working their buts of at near 100% regardless of any settings with the exception of the denoiser settings!!

As soon i disable denoiser, and decomb/deinterlace to none but leave everything else as it is. I get average fps between 300 - 400 for DVD SD material ofcourse.

Well, i have thought about it and checked the difference in settings between vidcoder & handbrake by going through the custom profiles i have made .

And i haven’t found any difference at all… especially since the settings are specificly for old and grainy tv serries on dvd… and i needed to do quite allot of these.

So i just copy/past in manner of speaking the settings from vidcoder to handbrake.

Like X264 high profile & medium settings were pretty much the same…

I use pal source material , so instead of 25fps which is the source input, i use 50fps and Decomb is set to BOB.

And NLmeans to medium… but NLmeans on Ulight, light or HIgh doesnt affect performance anymore !!! as soon you use NLmeans, the performance drop is like fixed !!

So i use the fps & decomb trick especially to have the maximum smoothest playback in my stand alone .
Because, i have noticed that some old tv-series mastered on dvd do infact have judder/jitter in panning scenes !!! Quite annoying to watch !!

And yes, after doing many tests … i find that the BEST sollutions wos to use Frame double sort of speak by using BoB + 50Fps and voila… THAT solved QUITE a FEW pITA episodes that are wos almost unbearable to watch !!!

But , ill give vidcoder another try…

[B]BIG EDIT :eek:[/B] what about that !!! Now i know why i get such an low and fixed framerates in handbrake !!

Err, wos ignoring and using To_O many x264 cmd lines in extra options :bigsmile:

as soon i deleted all the extra options, i get an average framerate of about 46 :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Jannenba;2742451]36FPs on an notebook :eek: [/QUOTE] With non-interlaced PAL DVDs using the h.264 Intel Quick Sync encoder I get 700 fps! :cool:

[B]BIG EDIT :eek:[/B] what about that !!! Now i know why i get such an low and fixed framerates in handbrake !!

Err, wos ignoring and using To_O many x264 cmd lines in extra options :bigsmile:

as soon i deleted all the extra options, i get an average framerate of about 46 :bigsmile:
Makes sense. :iagree:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2742452]With non-interlaced PAL DVDs using the h.264 Intel Quick Sync encoder I get 700 fps! :cool:

Makes sense. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

LoL drakemaster… it WOSNT THAT EITHER :eek: ??
Well, i deleted the extra options but i forgot to watch the FPS settings !!

so, the source is actually 25 but i changed it to 50 for the reason i have described earlier…

And yep as soon i set it fps back to source input, i get double performance…

That makes more sense ot me lol… cuz, 50/2 = performance X 2 inst it lol

iam happy :iagree: and sad :sad: at the same time about these findings …

Cuz, u see… when i use 25fps and choose for performance i WILL EAT MY CoUCH watching those dreadfull stuttering episodes…

And the extra x264 options gives me the EXTRA DEtails & sharpness at no cpu COST actually…:bow::clap::bow:

And yes, intel is the ALLSPARK of CPU’s … agreeed… but then again… its the end result that counts … iMO …

AnDDD more over … intel BEATS AmD yesssszzz… but not by THAT MUCH but INTEL will CHARGE UR WALLET and triple and QUADRUPLe THE PRICES of that of AMD :eek::eek::eek: for just almost 2=twice as much performance TOPS… judging by the working benchmarks i have seen from their latest flagships compared to the “fx-9590”

[B]VidCoder 1.5.30[/B]:

• Re-enabled Turbo First Pass for x265 encodes. (Working this time)

• Fixed missing Russian, Polish and Brazilian Portuguese language files.

• Fixed NL-Means denoiser.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2742512][B]VidCoder 1.5.30[/B]:

• Re-enabled Turbo First Pass for x265 encodes. (Working this time)

• Fixed missing Russian, Polish and Brazilian Portuguese language files.

• Fixed NL-Means denoiser.

https://vidcoder.codeplex.com/[/QUOTE]

thanks → NL-Means desnoier fixed !!..
its tempting :stuck_out_tongue: to give VC another try …

Yep, Nlmeans (vidcoder) seems to be fixed for me , thanks…

When i enable DXVA decoder in vidcoder i even get an small fps boost … pretty neat!

But now handbrak is behind vidcoder again regarding that ↑ matter !!

When i check and enable dxva in handbrake 0.10RC , the app sort of hangs … doesnt progress and encode the files !!

oh well… it wos fine while it lasted… back to vidcoder again for me LoL!!

[B]EDIT: [/B]AHrrrgg… now this again …!!! Vidcoder seems to be unable to priotirize and [B][U]REMEMBER[/U][/B] subtitle possitions !!

everytime i load an new dvd discs, the subtitles are rearanged to their defeault positions !!! NUTs!!

Like, for instance i moved the french subtitle from position 5 to the 1st position so that the subtitle is in place at the frist track in the mkv .

like:

1. french (instead of 5 or 3 or any other position besides 1)
  2. klingon
  3. gar tag

I needed that for the important reason so that the subtitle i like to see/show play by default !