Victor JVC 50Gb BD-R: Real Panasonic disc with real Panasonic quality?

vbimport

I have bought quite a few from eBay. 50Gb BD-R x4 speed

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30-JVC-Panasonic-MID-Code-JVC-Bluray-Discs-50GB-BD-R-DL-4X-Printable-Blu-ray-/140790610158?pt=US_CD_DVD_Blu_ray_Discs&hash=item20c7c638ee

MID: MEI-T02-001

I got the seller to do me a 50 spindle pack and not the 30 pack above.

The eBay Ads said they are made by Panasonic. The price is considerably cheaper than that of Panasonic brand.

I find the burn result is generally good but perhaps not as good as that of Panasonic branded BD-R (x2 speed)

I need to buy more Panasonic BD-R to do more testing…

Anyone has any experience of this Victor JVC brand BD-R vs Panasonic BD-R ??

We all know how expensive Panasonic BD-R could be relative to other brands. Could this be a de facto, poor man’s Panasonic BD-R?:wink:

My scan is very much like this scan posted on 27-02-2013 in another thread . Sorry, did a search before posting this thread but did not find that one.

I find it is not quite real Panasonic quality despite having the same MID.

If they are made by Panasonic then they must be of second tier quality. Almost like factory seconds.

Terrible quality scan. No way it is a genuine Panasonic disc.

Yep, looks like JVC got second best. Guess that’s how they are so cheap compared to other media.

Then again, I’m not really sure how that same disc would look if the scanning software was Opti Drive Control. It might not be all that bad a result, just the scaling in CD-DVD Speed makes it look a little ugly, since the software wasn’t designed with BD-R in mind.

What write speed was that?

Tried it in Opti Drive Control and the reading was the same. The graph has no red colour in it so looks less alarming.

Was burned with x4 speed in a Pioneer drive BDR-206

I should perhaps try out Lite On drive for writing next time to see if there is any significant difference compared to Pioneer drive.

[QUOTE=kirby7777;2689827]Terrible quality scan. No way it is a genuine Panasonic disc.[/QUOTE]

Could you please rescan this medium at [B]4x[/B] with OptiDrive Control?
Thanks.

[QUOTE=pepst;2689854]Could you please rescan this medium at [B]4x[/B] with OptiDrive Control?
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Here it is. I think it is the same disc but can not be sure. It is a Victor/JVC disc anyhow. Looking worse that the Nero scan.

Add: confirmed. It is the same disc.

rescan with Nero and it is very much comparable with Opti Drive Control.

My Pioneer writer is a few of years old now. Could it have contributed to the poor quality of burn?

Two burns, the left is the Victor, the right one is the original Panasonic. Burned both with Pioneer 208DBK. The Victor scan looks much better!!

[QUOTE=Albert;2689852]Yep, looks like JVC got second best. Guess that’s how they are so cheap compared to other media.
[/QUOTE]

I’m the seller and these discs are not “cheap” meaning low quality we have an excellent provider which provide us great prices only but the retail price of these discs are higher than TDK and Verbatim.

Currently for all of you to know Verbatim stopped manufacturing and started using Panasonic discs so now you have Sony, JVC and Verbatim being made by Panasonic and sharing the same MID: MEI-T02-001

I don’t really think Panasonic will make class A discs for Sony and class B for JVC or class C for Verbatim technically all these discs are the same but with different hard coat technology.

[QUOTE=kirby7777;2689940]
My Pioneer writer is a few of years old now. Could it have contributed to the poor quality of burn?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you may start considering your hardware because honestly we have no complaints about these discs and continue selling good. Actually the complaints about burning has decrease significantly to almost “0” compared to last year. Here some of our data that we collect carefully.

Most troubled burner: LG (especially models made in 2008 -2010)
Best seller: TDK

Complaint ranking April

1- Verbatim (2)
2- JVC (2) buyer “kirby7777” -about quality- and a buyer from Canada claiming the new JVC batch had a different MID code but he never replied back and we think he probably was confused (its a long time big buyer by the way)
3- TDK (0)
4- Sony (0)
5- Panasonic (0)
6- Taiyo yuden (0)

We are really relieved of complaints dropping drastically because we are just resellers not manufacturers however we get all kinds of blame when burning failures occurs.:rolleyes:

Don’t even bother to blame it on my burner just because I happened to raise a question about it. I have burned Panasonic disc with it and there has been absolutely no problem at all.

I said “perhaps” but OK you are right.

No one else is complaining about it maybe because they, unlike us who care about the quality of burn, the longevity of the storage and the integrity of the data, do not regularly check the quality of burn.
The ordinary users only care about if the burn is successful or not. By the time they realise there is a problem, it is usually too late.

Yeah that’s truth and that’s why makers don’t disclose MID codes in the packaging or their website. I will put for sale some 50 - 100 years archival grade Panasonic discs to see how it sells.

For what it’s worth, I also purchased some of the same discs off eBay around 6-7 months ago. There are several burns from a Pioneer BDR-207D starting here. They burned well, best with OPC off and at 4x - 8x.

[QUOTE=j-stop;2689963]I will put for sale some 50 - 100 years archival grade Panasonic discs to see how it sells.[/QUOTE]

j-stop: Please PM me when you have a link to the archival grade discs for sale. I have several burners I’d like to try them with.

I’m watching this because I’m also interested in finding the most reliable BR media

…and posting again so I can see images :slight_smile:

Just a point of reference that another member found his/her JVC-branded Panasonic media to be a bit lacking in comparison:

http://club.myce.com/f33/cheap-mij-jvc-4x-bd-r-dl-50gb-meit02-001-a-328997/#post2690127

Not all discs can be winners, but with others reporting only success when it comes to getting the Panasonic media under the Panasonic brand, /someone/ has to get the B-grade media.