VIA Win2k Performance Probs

vbimport

I cant seem to burn any greater than 8x on my 24x Liteon IDE drive without using the VIA IDE busmaster drivers, which work a treat. the problem with them is

a) they make my system unstable
b) i can't hibernate Win2k any more than once

anyone have any ideas on how to get to full 24x burning and hibernating with a stable system? currently using the Microsoft default drivers, which everyone seems to rave abuot, but are doing a shit job for me!

-djmatt

You have enabled DMA?

Go to device manager, IDE controllers, and check the properties of the IDE channels.

I am running win2k with the liteon with no problems once DMA was activated. Win2k didn’t re-search the settings when I stuck in a new drive, I had to set it to DMA myself.

Oh, also, I don’t use the VIA busmaster drivers, I only use the drivers that came with 2k, since as you said the via busmaster drivers SUCK!

I am using Fuji 24x CDrs (TY’s) and burning them at 32x, and scanning CDs for errors, it finds 0.

Ditto. I’m running Win2k with the stock M$ IDE drivers. DMA enabled. My 32123S burns at 32x no problem.

Ello all

Thanks for all ur replies. I finally managed to suss it after trawling through many many mannny msgboards/forums and the like and extracted relevant info from about a million different posts, and managed to suss the problem. It’s annoyingly very simple, and ill just outline it to anyone else having the same problem [ive never seen any msg in any forum with someone with exactly same prob as this]

in simple terms: disable UDMA for the burner’s port in the BIOS, and enable it in win2k device manager. it works - woohoo! dont really know why, but i dont care cos it works a treat!

Config is [unchanged at]

[location, description, bios setting]
Pri Mas - Main HD UDMA auto
Pri Sla - secondary old HD, PIO auto [it doesnt support UDMA anyway]
Sec Mas - 24x burner UDMA disabled, Auto detect
Sec Sla - old burner, UDMA disabled , auto detect

Then in Win2k device manager, UDMA is set enabled on the 24x burner.
[still using all the standard drivers that installed with win2k when i first set it up. ridiculously stable - woohooo!! ]

Results:
Managed to simulate no botehr in 16x with 1% CPU usage. cant simulate any higher in nero. havent actually tried a burn yet but im gonna presume it works; it previously simulated and burned at exactly the same slow 8x ish speed, with high processor usage.

cheers, sorry if this dont make sense but im very hungover!!
tara
-djmatt
ps wud be interested to hear if this works for neone else , or if it doesnt for that matter.

Strange, that sounds like a BIOS issue, since on my MB (A7v133 bios 1008) It detects all devices capable of UDMA and it lists it that way. I didn’t have to turn anything off or use PIO mode in the BIOS.

Oh well, at leat now you got it working. :slight_smile:

I’m running Win2kPro on an Abit KG7-RAID mobo. I’m running an LTR32123S on secondary IDE as master and an LTD163 on secondary IDE as slave. (I have an LS-120 drive on primary IDE, and the hard drives are on the RAID controller). I have UDMA for the Liteys enabled in both the BIOS as well as Win device manager. Is there any way I can verify that UDMA is actually working? Thanks.

Tremo

Is that a VIA chipset on that board though?

Try and get hold of a benchmarking utility to see how much data is gettin through from a read.

-djmatt

Nero info tool ~150k zipped tells you all the info you need to know. Sorry, I don’t have the link handy.

Ok, the Abit KG7-RAID is a hybrid board, with the AMD-761 northbridge and the VIA 686B southbridge.

As an experiment, with the thing set up normally, NERO CD-Speed tells me I have a burst rate of 18 MB/s with the LTD163 and 16 MB/s with the LTR32123S. I went into BIOS and disabled UDMA for the drives and re-ran the tests. The burst rate for the LTD163 dropped to 12 MB/s. That was enough for me. I went back and re-enabled UDMA in the BIOS. Everything works fine.

Ahh yea that sounds quite conclusive then!

-djmatt

I’m using a Abit KT7A raid board… dun seem to have ur kinda prob… UDMA is enabled in bios and win2k… :slight_smile:

bios UDMA settings shdnt affect performance in win2k… no?

C4a0s: no it shudnt but does - its the VIA chipset probs!!

-djmatt