VIA Motherboard Problems

Before I say anything, I know its already been said, tho the solutions are really abstract. I recently got a pc with a KT266A chipset motherboard, and a Plextor 24x drive on secondary master on it, running under WinXP Home. The problem is that when I noticed that it was on DMA mode 2, not PIO and not UDMA33, which is where its suppose to be. I read on a previous thread about using a miniport driver and all that. Well first, it seems that when I checked out viaarena.com, it stated winxp does not need that driver, it needs a filter, and also that if I used the driver/filter some programs won’t work, like CloneCD, though its fixed with the newest update. On the plextor support page, it told me something bout uninstalling “the VIA drivers and re-installing the native Microsoft driver.” Does any of these methods work? And if so, how (plz be a lil detailed)? And if not, are there any other solutions?

Thanks

DMA mode 2 is the same as UDMA 33!!!

DMA mode 4 is the same as UDMA 66.

DMA Mode 5 is the same as UDMA 100.

Hm

Warning!

There are two different DMA Mode 2.

The first one is called Multiword DMA Mode 2. Maximum burst transfer rate is 16.6MB/S.
Multiword DMA Mode 2 is part of Fast ATA2, the latter also covering PIO Mode 4 for devices not using Direct Memory Access.

The other one, the one you want is ULTRA DMA Mode 2, also stamped Ultra DMA 33. Maximum burst rate is 33.3MB/S.

dfourthhorseman’s problem is well known among Epox users.
With bios of November 2nd (8khi1b02), DVD devices on secondary master that should work in UDMA Mode 2 are recognised as Multiword DMA Mode 2.

If you have an Epox:
I’d suggest you use the “nearly” final and official bios from December 18th, named 8khi1c18. You can find it on Epox Japanese partner site.

http://www.mustardseed.co.jp/seihin/epox/bios/biosmenu/bios/8kha/8khi1c18.bin

If you have no Epox, I can’t really solve ur problem
Good luck

Originally posted by grenet_ghost
[B]Warning!

There are two different DMA Mode 2.

The first one is called Multiword DMA Mode 2. Maximum burst transfer rate is 16.6MB/S.
Multiword DMA Mode 2 is part of Fast ATA2, the latter also covering PIO Mode 4 for devices not using Direct Memory Access.

The other one, the one you want is ULTRA DMA Mode 2, also stamped Ultra DMA 33. Maximum burst rate is 33.3MB/S.

dfourthhorseman’s problem is well known among Epox users.
With bios of November 2nd (8khi1b02), DVD devices on secondary master that should work in UDMA Mode 2 are recognised as Multiword DMA Mode 2.

If you have an Epox:
I’d suggest you use the “nearly” final and official bios from December 18th, named 8khi1c18. You can find it on Epox Japanese partner site.

http://www.mustardseed.co.jp/seihin/epox/bios/biosmenu/bios/8kha/8khi1c18.bin

If you have no Epox, I can’t really solve ur problem
Good luck [/B]

The new EPOX BIOS for 8KHA+ solves this problem as you say … enabling both DVD and CD-RW drives to use their native UDMA-2 interface.
You just need to enable UDMA support for CD-Drives in the BIOS otherwise it wont work !!

( Prior to this new BIOS I couldn’t get my DVD/CD-RW drives above MultiWord DMA mode 2 … now they run in ULTRA DMA mode 2 under WIN XP ! )