VIA miniport driver conflict with LTR24102B

Since I know people here are quite helpful espec. the mods. so I put forward the problem here. My 24102B has no issue in my daily usage, not unitl I decided to install the latest VIA IDE miniport driver on my MSI KT333CE mobo. The 24102B has not issue in every tasks except when I try to read off or copy a VCD, in every VCD I try the drive would just seems to default to a 8X (CLV! yes its CLV!) mode of reading off the VCD, and it would take a long time(about 8 min.) to just create a disc image from a VCD.

I am using latest 5S5A BIOS on the drive. I try to upgrade my ASPI driver on winXPpro SP1, no help on the situation with the latest Adaptec ASPI driver. And I have even try to copy with latest CloneCD and also to no result.

There is probaby no conflict with the VIA miniport driver.

Reading speeds for ISO 9660 Mode 2 Form 2 (VCD format) are commonly lower than reading speeds for Mode 1 discs.

When you think about it, there is a reason for this design behavior. Mode 1 discs have error correction. Mode 2 Form 2 (VCD) does not.

Any combination of media, recording speed, software and burner that produces correctable errors with Mode 1 will produce uncorrectable errors with Mode 2 Form 2. Since this format is used for video/audio applications, this vulnerability to errors is not critical as when data is recorded.

Nevertheless, a conservative approach to reducing read errors with a Mode 2 Form 2 disc might use a slower reading speed than Mode 1. When errors are encountered in Mode 1, the drive speed is reduced to enhance the ability to read accurately. Since there is no way to detect errors in Mode 2 Form 2, lowering the reading speed by default gives more certainty of preventing or reducing read errors.

I used the Via miniport 3.14 on my computer for along time but Nero CD speed never worked…I had some other issue and dumped them and saw zero loss of performance…they uninstall fine and I would dump the miniport drivers

Seem to cause more issues than enhancements in the end for me

Originally posted by nealh
[B]I used the Via miniport 3.14 on my computer for along time but Nero CD speed never worked…I had some other issue and dumped them and saw zero loss of performance…they uninstall fine and I would dump the miniport drivers

Seem to cause more issues than enhancements in the end for me [/B]

Yeah, but I have much more reason to keep the VIA miniport driver than to dump it; I really dont want to fall into the eternal debate VIA pain discussion; nor the VIA VS. Intel kind of arguments. VIA miniport driver are meant to be CDR/RW and SCSI compatibility hampering; but since I want to keep it for many more good reasons, such as low CPU uitl., system responsiveness, transfer speed enhancement, differential speed mode compatibility on the same master/slave cable(which MS defualt IDE driver does not); I am quite eager to search for any possibile fx, even if it means I have to hack or slashes.

I use to have these problems avoided by not using the miniport driver in other system with IDE Raid controller, but since this system does not; I would rather have all the advantages to install miniport driver and face the bitter side of it; if only it could somehow be alleviated.

NO VIA bashing…I just never saw a performance enhancements…
I used them for quite awhile…so I guess I do not have anyway to help you…sorry