Vhsdvdvhs

vbimport

I have Pioneer VHS Recorder and a lot of Disney Videos. I want to transfer them to DVD/DVR (cable box) to DVD but unfortunatly I can’t do it as my recorder says “Copyrighted Material” What can I do against it?

Not much. Disney, Sony, Universal used an embedded video-signal across the tapes that disrupt copy-attempts. There were various hacks and equipment-purchases offered - at one time - to defeat these but some were expensive and ‘iffy’, and some were just ‘iffy’.

On a tangential discussion, many libraries offer DVDs for check-out, but I don’t want to discuss those alternative possibilities on a public forum.

Good idea.That way you can check them out and watch them anytime you want.

@ venajan , For removing the Macrovision protection you need a video stabilizer .
This is on the video of a commercial VHS tape. You connect the video out cable on the VHS player to the video in of the DVD recorder through a video stabilizer .

http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2677650] There were various hacks and equipment-purchases offered - at one time - to defeat these but some were expensive and ‘iffy’, and some were just ‘iffy’. [/QUOTE]

I can only comment on the video stabilizer I have . It is a Dimax Grex .

It has worked well on every tape I have used it with. So it is not “iffy”.

It is also a bit expensive . I have never used one but I have seen posted that the Sima also works well.

The Grex has other functions also. I haven’t needed it but it is supposed to remove broadcast flags . If these ever become a nuisance I will run the output from my satellite box through the Grex.

On the negative side the best resolution from a SVHS player is 400 lines horizontal
A standard VHS player is 240 to 250 lines horizontal .
So unless this is the only way to get the video to a DVD . Out of production for example. The quality will be less than what a standard DVD would have.

venajan

As said, you have encountered Macrovision copy protection.

Macrovision FAQ

You will need (as said) a video stabilizer or a time base corrector. Price varies depending on the quality. Some are cheaper and some are for professional/broadcast use. They’ll get the job done.

Some another ways to circumvent:

• Get a hold of an OLD VHS recorder. Old machines don’t have AGC, so they are immune to Macrovision
  • Try to google your dvd recorder model, there is probably a code or hacked fw which allows to bypass the Macrovision flag.