VHS2Digital?

vbimport

A few years ago I bought a P.O.S. capture device, (I think ADS Tech made it,) to take a lot of family moments from VHS 2 Digital. It was working, but the only problem was that it only worked with XP, (driver problems.) As it didn’t work with first Vista and then Windows 7 and of course now Windows 10, (I tried,) I just stopped doing it and moved on forgetting about the rest of the VHS tapes. Recently a friend who found out about the P.O.S. hardware, (my big mouth) asked me if I would think about getting back into it because he also has some tapes. The only reason I am thinking about it again is that we have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop that after I blow away all the Toshiba crap has a hard drive big enough to partition and have XP alongside Vista, (haven’t decided which way to do the install yet.) I have not kept up with video capture, either hardware or software so stupid me had another thought, (it happens.) I could go to all the trouble, XP, Vista install, use the old hardware, but find a new software program or ask if there are some capture options out there free or reasonable, hardware and software? I stress that I am not looking for any Academy Award here, just to get video from some old VHS tapes to the PC or Laptop.

AVS4You had a free videorecorder,last update was august 2014.
You won’t find it anymore @ their website,but some download sites have it still listed for download…
Search google for AVS Video Recorder 2.6.1.94 for Windows…:bigsmile:
And of course,there’s still the free VirtualDub around,but this 1 isn’t so easy to master…:wink:

Search google for AVS Video Recorder 2.6.1.94 for Windows…

http://downloads.tomsguide.com/AVS-Video-Recorder,0301-32555.html

Anything on the hardware side, capture card or take the chance on another POS that they state works on Vista, W8, W7 or W10, but it doesn’t because they don’t have signed drivers.

It really depends on whether the friends tapes are home made or if they are commercial tapes. The commercially made ones had Macrovision copy protection, and though it can be side stepped, it is something that has to be considered.

The easiest method for home made tapes is to use a combination machine that has both VHS and a DVD recorder. Walmart still sells them, but they are about $180.

I still have an old ATI TV/Capture card that I used for VHS to DVD, but its been so long, I’ve forgotten which software I used. The Cyberlink software that came with the card sucked rocks, so I used something else. Lots of people used Virtualdub for captures to AVI, but my card went straight to MPEG2.

If you can use Virtualdub, the best quality for captures would be to use a lossless codec like HuffyUV or Lagarith, but it takes a [B]lot[/B] of room. If you need to do any editing, this is the time to do it, as an intermediate step.

Then convert the AVI files to DVD-video using AVStoDVD (HC encoder, two pass).

Hardware for a laptop? Got to be usb based then. Maybe this: http://www.amazon.com/AVERMEDIA-C039-DVD-EZMaker-7/dp/B00603S1OS/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1459015285&sr=1-2&keywords=avermedia+capture+devices

If the tapes have Macrovision,you can buy a Dimax Grex to get rid of it on your backup…:bigsmile:

@ Kerry,any chance that videocard of yours was an ATI All-In-Wonder 32 bit?
I got that card around 2000-2001 and used it with a ‘special’ driver which I got @ Doom9 to circumvent Macrovision…:wink:

No, it was a later card from ATI. I’d have to look up the model, but it wasn’t very popular for captures. I got it for TV reception, but it turned out to be reasonably good for captures.

I can remember that it bypassed Macrovision all by itself, which surprised me the first time I tried a commercial VHS. But then a fair number of the cards with built in MPEG2 hardware encoders could do this. The Hauppauge cards were well known for this ability.

The main thing on the commercial tapes was to stabilize the video. If you wanted to, you could go VHS 2 VHS or even VHS 2 DVD, but if you did that, you would be burning up a lot of discs and then transfer 2 PC. Anyway I ramble, my friends and my tapes are all home made through a camcorder, family stuff. If I go with something along the lines of your link Kerry, I would use the laptop and probably use the Vista that is already installed. It does have a decent size drive. If I go with capture card, which can get pricey, I would use a desktop. Thank you folks for your input. I have three VCRs, so going to laptop or desktop with the right equipment is not an issue.

Player 2 stabilizer - stabilizer 2 recorder.

I have never liked Roxio products, but I’m asking if anybody has information on this product? It [B][U]seems[/U][/B] the best non video capture card product that I’ve found so far.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2771359]I have never liked Roxio products, but I’m asking if anybody has information on this product? It [B][U]seems[/U][/B] the best non video capture card product that I’ve found so far.[/QUOTE]

http://www.roxio.com/enu/promotions/landing/easy-vhs-to-dvd/search/default.html?gclid=CNSQu72i8csCFZCIaQodzmoI8A

I too have an almost instinctive aversion to Roxio products by now. :slight_smile:

This Hauppauge device was recently recommended over at Videohelp.com: http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-610-USB-Live-Digitizer-Capture/dp/B0036VO2BI

Edit: Looks like it is a hardware mpeg2 encoder, so that might be inconvenient if you don’t have the tools for editing it. Also the included capture software doesn’t get high marks.

Edit: Looks like it is a hardware mpeg2 encoder, so that might be inconvenient if you don’t have the tools for editing it. Also the included capture software doesn’t get high marks.

It seems like that is pretty much the case, hardware works, but software is iffy or the other way around, or none work.

If you have a supported capture device and a Nero license,you can also capture with Nero Video… different formats supported:mpg1,mpg2,avi,mp4…

One thing I really wish was that there was a simple hardware device you could pop a VHS or 8mm Video tape into, insert a blank DVD below and press ‘Copy’.

Recently someone asked me if I could help convert an 8mm video tape to DVD, which he just wanted a simple A to B copy. He already had an 8mm camcorder that could play such tapes, a fairly fancy Panasonic HDD+DVD recorder and the cables. The problem: He just could not get his head around the DVD recording process, i.e. with his unit, a blank DVD must first be initialised (couple of steps), then a bitrate selected, set the correct audio and video import sources. Even when it comes to recording, there’s a few steps to go through when the ‘record’ button was pressed. Finally there’s a ‘closing disc’ process that must be performed at the end.

Even with all the steps written down, he still struggled, even though he had no problem taping to VHS in the past. I then asked him how many tapes he has to convert and he opened up a fairly large box with what looked like about 100 8mm tapes. :eek:

I do remember seeing VHS to VHS and even DVD to VHS recorders that easily copied unprotected tapes and DVDs, so am quite surprised there’s very little as far as VHS to DVD goes, particularly for someone that simply wants their ageing tapes to be converted without any other video processing or editing.

Thank you for the input. When I still had XP, I remember that I couldn’t get the trim to work to get rid of any excess blank space on my initial tries at this. No matter what I did I just didn’t get it. Plus the fact, especially if you are doing a favor for a friend you have to be really careful. I just can’t imagine having to say that your memories are gone, even if you have a backup. If I remember correctly, a lot of the VHS/DVD combos would not let you go from one to the other to record.