Vhs to pc tutorial

Hello, i am wanting to burn some old vhs tapes to dvd and have never done this before. My pc has an s-video jack in back and also has the standard (3.5?mm) audio in jack as well. Will these work or will i need to get a video capture card? If so do they have l+r audio in jacks? Or would an analog to usb device be a better choice? What is a good way to get these onto my hard drive? I’ll tackle editing and burning later. Could anyone point me to a good tutorial or a thread please? thanks, newbie Steve

Hi,[QUOTE=stiven;2221129]Hello, i am wanting to burn some old vhs tapes to dvd and have never done this before. My pc has an s-video jack in back and also has the standard (3.5?mm) audio in jack as well. Will these work or will i need to get a video capture card?[/quote]At least the S-Video jack won’t be of help, since it is an output. So you need a capture device like a TV card or an USB “video grabber”. Depending on the card or USB device, there is either a built-in audio jack, or you need to use the Line-In of your sound card.

Normally, these devices come with software and some documentation, that should help capturing the videos. You might also check videohelp.com for tutorials.

Michael

There are several threads on this forum about doing what you want.
Just do a search.

I ,use the inexpensive Hauppauge PVR 150, for occasional old VHS captures…Works fine for what I need, and it ignores most Macrovision I’ve encountered…However it may just be easier(for a noob), to purchase a DVD recorder, and hookup the VCR to it…The capture method is great if you have the time since you’ll have to learn how to, capture,edit/cut, maybe add music (family stuff,yikes!), author,burn etc,etc… Have fun!..

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2221325]I ,use the inexpensive Hauppauge PVR 150, for occasional old VHS captures…Works fine for what I need, and it ignores most Macrovision I’ve encountered…However it may just be easier(for a noob), to purchase a DVD recorder, and hookup the VCR to it…The capture method is great if you have the time since you’ll have to learn how to, capture,edit/cut, maybe add music (family stuff,yikes!), author,burn etc,etc… Have fun!..[/QUOTE]

Hauppauge PVR 150 Remember that card well i had one a few years back
and the good thing about it is the hardware MPEG encoder (software one would slow down your pc) but a hardware one lets you do other things while its running…

also as mentioned above you could just hook up your vcr to a dvd player but you might have some problems with macrovision

I have been using this product & the software that comes with it successfully.

http://www.adstech.com/products/USBAV-191-EF/intro/USBAV_191_intro.asp?pid=USBAV-192-EF