Well… i think i figured it out…
Because ulead dvdworkshop sucks at capturing the video directly from the camcorder (i figured it used too much system resources just to run, so it hindered the capture a bit, (always got about 1200 frames dropped for a 80 min tape)), i decided to use the windows movie maker, i tested the whole capture (saw the captured .avi file all over again) and did not find any dropped frames, so im sticking with that…
For mpeg2 conversion, im gonna use TMPGenc… (i’ve never used it, but heard good things about it). I found out it has a special bitrate calculator, so the video fills up the entire dvd, plus it has batch processing, so i can leave it all day and night (i have about 6 hours that need converting… so…).
I guess thats it…
An overview of the problem for those who want to know:
I wanted to transfer the contents of a vhs tape to my pc so i could burn it to a DVD
At first, I used my camcorder to bridge the vcr to the pc and capture directly from the vcr while it played, but this gave me alot of dropped frames because when the vcr “tracks” or adjusts the tape, it makes the camcorder send blank signlals to the pc… yup, dropped frames… alot (12000 for about 80 mins of tape).
That was the main prob… So, when i transfered the contents of the vhs tape to the camcorder Digital8 tape and then transfered from the Digital8 tape onto the pc using the camcorder (the usual capturing of DV) that problem was fixed, but still dvdworkshop dropped frames (now, about 1200)… so I changed the capturing software, defragged the HD and presto!
I wanted to capture mpeg2 on the fly to save rendering time, but the quality of doing this just plain sucks… (too many dropped frames, and powerVCR seems to capture less fps than the source tape, so it looks like a cheap vcd.
Anyways, thats what i did… It takes more time to do the same work (transfering from vhs to Digital8 tape and from that tape to pc) but it gets the job done with the best quality.
Any comments or further suggestions are welcome.