Vhs to dvd

vbimport

I’ve had these vhs tapes for years and decided it was time to to something with them,I found this package with the wiring and the software to do it.It doesnt come with the standard yellow ,red and white leds that come with any vhs machine.So you will need them.here what I got for 34 dollars on amazon.

My camera isn’t very good this is the best I can do . the 3 bottom buttons on right are top ‘record’ middle one is ‘stop’ and bottom one is ‘options ‘.On the top left is the ‘project ‘button than’ capture’ than’ edit’ and last one’ burn.’

Very good Doug although TBH I personally wouldn’t be wanting to convert from VHS unless it’s content that I can’t get elsewhere.

I bought a DVD recorder when they became cheap years ago and transferred all our home videos so we don’t even have a VHS recorder anymore.

Let us know how you get on with this though.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Hey Doug ,
I suggest you use the S-video that is on this unit instead of the Yellow video composite cable .You will still need to use the red & white audio cable.
I have a similar Roxio capture card but it didn’t work very well . I hope yours works better.
If you have an SVHS player it outputs more lines of resolution than a standard VHS player . This will give you a better result. I no longe have a SVHS player mine failed some time ago.
Even with a standard VHS player I got better results this way.
I connected a standard VHS player to a standalone DVD recorder via S-Video cable & red/white audio cables.
Then set the DVD unit to record at the best quality it could for the amount of time on the VHS tape,

If you can try both ways & see what looks best to you.
Since the VHS tape has to play in real time anyway the process takes the same amount of time.
The lasers on DVD drives for computers are supposed to be better lasers but for me the way above still produced a better result.

If any of your VHS tapes are commercial movies then there is an additional device to add . If that is the case then that can be covered .

I hope you recorded these VHS tapes at best quality also. The better the input the better the output.

[QUOTE=cholla;2749801]Hey Doug ,
I suggest you use the S-video that is on this unit instead of the Yellow video composite cable .You will still need to use the red & white audio cable.
I have a similar Roxio capture card but it didn’t work very well . I hope yours works better.
If you have an SVHS player it outputs more lines of resolution than a standard VHS player . This will give you a better result. I no longe have a SVHS player mine failed some time ago.
Even with a standard VHS player I got better results this way.
I connected a standard VHS player to a standalone DVD recorder via S-Video cable & red/white audio cables.
Then set the DVD unit to record at the best quality it could for the amount of time on the VHS tape,

If you can try both ways & see what looks best to you.
Since the VHS tape has to play in real time anyway the process takes the same amount of time.
The lasers on DVD drives for computers are supposed to be better lasers but for me the way above still produced a better result.

If any of your VHS tapes are commercial movies then there is an additional device to add . If that is the case then that can be covered .

I hope you recorded these VHS tapes at best quality also. The better the input the better the output.[/QUOTE]

Cholla I’m having trouble with the video flicking , it runs good for a couple minutes than start fluddering.That’s with the three video wire havn’t tried the other S-video might make the ddifferent,eh.

Doug , Make sure it’s not the VHS player causing the flikering by watching the VHS tape your working with on a regular TV.
If that is OK I think the problem will be with the capture card.
The one I bought like this (Roxio) never worked correctly.
The is a member that had some success with a better USB type but last time I checked it is no longer available.

Usually a Hauppauge capture card is what is recommended .
These are PCI internally installed cards . There might even be a PCIe one now. I don’t have one of those & I’ve done about every VHS tape to DVD I plan to. Unless I want a movie & it is only available on VHS tape.

You also didn’t post if these are commercial VHS tapes.
If they are then you need to add a Video Stabilizer in the video cables.
I have a Dimax Grex for this but it’s not cheap.

Again my best results have been a VHS player to a standalone DVD recorder . Using S-video cables & red/white audio cables.

Hey Doug , Hows the project going ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2749842]
You also didn’t post if these are commercial VHS tapes.
If they are then you need to add a Video Stabilizer in the video cables.
I have a Dimax Grex for this but it’s not cheap.

Again my best results have been a VHS player to a standalone DVD recorder . Using S-video cables & red/white audio cables.[/QUOTE]
An excellent point Cholla. :clap: Some commercial VHS tapes had a form of analogue copy protection.

Hope the project is going well Doug. :flower:

This is something I should have been doing years ago. I’ve got a load of videos of recorded TV, much of which will never be repeated and has a certain sentimental value. Don’t think I’ll ever get round to it though.