Vhs to Dvd

I have about 50 old Vhs home movies and old movies. Is it a major project to make them into Dvd,s? I have 4 burners, what equiptment would I need to make the transfers?
T.I.A.

A VCR, a graphics card with video in and some software that can put it into a DVD format.

or to make it easier…

buy one of those home burners at wal-mart for 50 bucks. we just did recently.

Magnavox Model MWR10D6

p.s. i just got this a day or two ago so i cant comment on it’s long term quality but it burns DVD+RW and DVD+R (i think it does DVD-RW and DVD-R to) and they seem to play in a cheap Coby etc etc dvd players that i tested them in… so assuming the device lasts a while i would say it’s easily worth the 50 dollars.

you can adjust the recording quality to from 1hour to 2 hours to 2.5hours to 3 hours to 4 hours to 6 hour recording modes… from my own testing quality seems pretty solid at the 2.5hour modes. i aint tested the 6 hour ones yet but generally speaking 2.5hours or less, quality should be top notch especially since your recording source (VHS) aint the best quality anyways :wink:

[QUOTE=NBR;1947621]or to make it easier…

buy one of those home burners at wal-mart for 50 bucks. we just did recently.

Magnavox Model MWR10D6

p.s. i just got this a day or two ago so i cant comment on it’s long term quality but it burns DVD+RW and DVD+R (i think it does DVD-RW and DVD-R to) and they seem to play in a cheap Coby etc etc dvd players that i tested them in… so assuming the device lasts a while i would say it’s easily worth the 50 dollars.

you can adjust the recording quality to from 1hour to 2 hours to 2.5hours to 3 hours to 4 hours to 6 hour recording modes… from my own testing quality seems pretty solid at the 2.5hour modes. i aint tested the 6 hour ones yet but generally speaking 2.5hours or less, quality should be top notch especially since your recording source (VHS) aint the best quality anyways ;)[/QUOTE]
That sounds good, could you tell me how to make the transfer, any more cables required?

Hi malmol2,

[I]//(Moderator’s note: some text has been transferred to other split thread)//[/I]

Edit - sorry durkinjt - just realised this is a bit off topic for your original post. With regard to VHS to DVD, zazonz has pretty much stated what you need. You could also consider a tv tuner card in place of the graphics card as some will accept input from phonos or svhs.

The only problem with the PC method is time and whether your PC is upto it. Encoding in real time can be a pain for older machines and result in loss of sync and dropped frames. If you however choose to save to your hard disk in ‘uncompressed format’ you’ll need to make sure your hard drive is big enough. If I remember correctly about 80 to 90 gig for a 3 hr tape. You will also need to remember that converting the resulting file to compliant DVD format can be time consuming, however you will have the option to fuly edit and add menus / chapters etc (providing you have the correct software)

With regard to buying a standalone DVD recorder this can be a good option however, on some cheaper models the burn quality could be questionable and you could also lose some of the options to edit, chapter and title. It will however produce a copy in real time.

Either way I would suggest that you also make a backup of each DVD you create.

[QUOTE=zazonz;1947619]A VCR, a graphics card with video in and some software that can put it into a DVD format.[/QUOTE]
Could you expound on that a little further?