Vhs to dvd

vbimport

Do anyone know of a easy to follow tutorial on the process of getting a vhs film on a dvd

If you want to back up your VHS movies to DVD the easiest way is to get a digital video stabilizer to hook up between your VCR and DVD recorder. Its very simple. You can check it out at MCM Electronics Part #80-4280 cost is $19.99. I have one and it works great. I’ve had mine for about 15 years and it works as good today as when I first bought it. Hope this helpped you.

In a nutshell:

• Connect VHS player to recording device connected to your pc
  • start recording software and press play on your vhs player
  • convert video stream to desired dvd video stream

I do not think there is easy way.
VHS stabilizer is not going to do much unless you have a video card with TV input.
Otherwise you will need video capture card to hook up your VCR to it.
Than you can use software like Nero to record, create DVD compliant file and burn. All in one software.
Other possibility is to purchase VCR-DVD combo recorder to make your DVD - Simple.
If you have digital movie camera, sometimes you can use it as a converter between VCR and computer via Firewire- check camera’s manual.

The video stabilizer is ment to hookup between a standalone VCR & DVD recorder not a computer. This is the easiest way to convert VHS tapes to DVD without spending a fortune and you don’t have to learn any programs.

If you’re into spending some bucks, you might be interested in Sony Media Converter.
http://www.cambridgeworld.com/Sony_Accessories_Video_Cameras/sony_dvm-cda1.htm

As much as I recall reading about, the referred “video stabilizer” is a device that it is supposed to allow you to prevent the scrambling produced by Macrovision, the method used as copyright preotection in VHS tapes.
Obviously, if the tapes you want to copy to DVD are not protected the easiest way would be the above connection VCR/DVD recorder or even a double deck allowing you to transfer from VHS to DVD.
If there is a copy protection you have to consider if you own the tapes and your local law allows you to copy them to another media.

I agree with what you are saying. I found that using the stabilizer the copy quality is a lot better than not using one. I have a comcorder that uses VHS tapes. When I wanted to copy and edit them the quality was not very good. That is what I bought the stabilizer for. Back 15 years ago when I bought it I was doing VHS to VHS. Now I want to put all my VHS home movies onto a DVD. The stabilizer helps in maintaining the quality of the recordings. I only own a couple of comercial VHS tapes. Yes the stabilizer allows you to copy VHS to DVD if you want to. I never bothered to copy mine over to DVD but from what I understand you are allowed to do this if you own the VHS tape and only are making one copy for your personial use. The stabilizer will not work DVD to DVD. I even used the stabilizer when I thansfered all my 8mm movies to VHS tapes, then I used it when I transfered them to DVD. So as you can see I’ve been using one for a few years and the only problem I ever had with it is I forgot to change the 9v battery a couple of times.

Purchase Panasonic DMR-EZ47VK VCR-DVD combo.

Hi, I am currently backing up a disney collection vhs to Pc. dvd and just use a tv card with Nero Essentials v.7 with great sucess… STEVE

ps the software transcodes the vhs to dvd format automatically… The software I got with a liteon litescribe purchase.Hope this helps …

[QUOTE=DR. PAUL;1720845]If you want to back up your VHS movies to DVD the easiest way is to get a digital video stabilizer to hook up between your VCR and DVD recorder. Its very simple. You can check it out at MCM Electronics Part #80-4280 cost is $19.99. I have one and it works great. I’ve had mine for about 15 years and it works as good today as when I first bought it. Hope this helpped you.[/QUOTE]
Would you be good enough to tell me the way to hook the cables up , I have a stabilizer, Rca cable, and an S video cable.Do I need a Tv at the end of the hook-up?

[QUOTE=DR. PAUL;1721906]I agree with what you are saying. I found that using the stabilizer the copy quality is a lot better than not using one. I have a comcorder that uses VHS tapes. When I wanted to copy and edit them the quality was not very good. That is what I bought the stabilizer for. Back 15 years ago when I bought it I was doing VHS to VHS. Now I want to put all my VHS home movies onto a DVD. The stabilizer helps in maintaining the quality of the recordings. I only own a couple of comercial VHS tapes. Yes the stabilizer allows you to copy VHS to DVD if you want to. I never bothered to copy mine over to DVD but from what I understand you are allowed to do this if you own the VHS tape and only are making one copy for your personial use. The stabilizer will not work DVD to DVD. I even used the stabilizer when I thansfered all my 8mm movies to VHS tapes, then I used it when I transfered them to DVD. So as you can see I’ve been using one for a few years and the only problem I ever had with it is I forgot to change the 9v battery a couple of times.[/QUOTE]
What cable hookup sequence did you use I have a Rca cable, a stabilizer and a S video cable, am some what confused as to what goes where?

I hope some one can realy help me here. Can any one give me step by step as to how to connect my digital video stabilizer with correct wiring . DVD player TO VHS recording only!Not interested in DVD to DVD!!
! It all confussing me being a Girl and all. Cheers How does it all connect to the telly, dvd, vhs. many thx…Joanne

[QUOTE=Jsmith007;2123114]I hope some one can realy help me here. Can any one give me step by step as to how to connect my digital video stabilizer with correct wiring . DVD player TO VHS recording only!Not interested in DVD to DVD!!
! It all confussing me being a Girl and all. Cheers How does it all connect to the telly, dvd, vhs. many thx…Joanne[/QUOTE]

There are a few things wrong here.

1. You should make your own post, you will get more answers that way.

2. Why do you want to use stabilizer to play VHS on TV, not needed.
    If you want to record DVD onto VHS, stabilizer will not do a thing.

Connecting all your equipment to TV, I start with VHS.
There will be two connections on VHS. One output is 3 plugs, yellow for video, red and white (or black) for audio= Composite Video cables.
Second can be small round plug with pins (S-Video cable). If you use that you need audio connection also.
Find what is on TV and connect same to same.
DVD has more options. You will have first two, same as VHS and if it is a new DVD player it can have HDMI connector (rectangular looking plug).
If you have new TV it may have HDMI also, that is a best connection for DVD.
DVD can also have 3 plugs marked Component Video, in that case you need those cables, plus audio cable, red,white(black).
But all this depend on how many different device inputs are on your TV.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2123653]There are a few things wrong here.

1. You should make your own post, you will get more answers that way.

2. Why do you want to use stabilizer to play VHS on TV, not needed.
    If you want to record DVD onto VHS, stabilizer will not do a thing.

Connecting all your equipment to TV, I start with VHS.
There will be two connections on VHS. One output is 3 plugs, yellow for video, red and white (or black) for audio= Composite Video cables.
Second can be small round plug with pins (S-Video cable). If you use that you need audio connection also.
Find what is on TV and connect same to same.
DVD has more options. You will have first two, same as VHS and if it is a new DVD player it can have HDMI connector (rectangular looking plug).
If you have new TV it may have HDMI also, that is a best connection for DVD.
DVD can also have 3 plugs marked Component Video, in that case you need those cables, plus audio cable, red,white(black).
But all this depend on how many different device inputs are on your TV.[/QUOTE]

Thx CD unc le well i better reply to this cause I openned my own thread and din,t get @#*#… All I am trying to do is record DVD to VHS as far as I know which isn,t much it carn,t be done without a stab…but it seem you say It can ??My DVD are getting scratched to bits with 3 kids under 4 Its best for me to have them on VHS. cheers

That I was afraid, you want to do.
In that case, forget stabilizer, you cannot copy commercial DVD to VHS or even to a new disc.
You can rip them to a hard drive, if you get a ripping software installed on your machine and than go from there.
If you go on this forum to “Copy Movie” section, you will get the idea what is needed.

I found this CDuncle and others. There seem there is so much mis understanding on what can be done. I finally paided a visit to Jaycar here in Australia and found them a great help after buy one and not getting it to work I rang them and spending an hour on the phone getting my untrained undertanding of what goes where for $99.00 the investment work a treat using long play on my VHS I can get 3 dvd,s onto my video which lasts way longer and less confussing than computer gagets and softwhere. It took me a while to get it wired up the right due to my video player seeming to only allow Av2 to play dvd, video and tv all through the video player any way it works perfect on the setting I now have, this is what I did…
Tv and video set for av2 you need 1 set of yellow red and white wires and another the same but just pull off the yellow wire youl need it latter.
From the back of your tv normally, connect a set of red yellow and white into the (Av 2 in) yellow going to video white going to L audio and red going to R Audio.On my video the connector are on front and back with the Av2 connection at the front of the machine…connect the other end of the 3 wires used in the Tv input into Av1 (OUT)on the VCR the back of my machine. Now connect a single yellow wire that should have came with the stablilizer into the input of the stabilizer the other end will plug into the DVD players (line out video) the other yellow wire that you pulled off will now used to plug into the (out put )plug on the stabilizer going to the video player to the (Av2 Video in). Next the red white wires go into the other 2 plugs of the (Av2 of your video in) with the other end going to the L - R or red and white plugs of the DvD players (line out video row) set Stab… to composite video. Ive used the digitech digital video stablilizer from Jaycar they wer.e a great help. cheers

I am new here. I ordered an MCM 80-4280 unit you are using. The GRANDTEK brand had 3 version of this unit, tape to tape, tape to dvd, dvd to dvd. I am going to use this for dvd to dvd. Will this unit suffice? Is there any technical differences of the 3? I do not know if GRANDTEK is still around. Would the unit operate better with the power supply? Is pin positive or barral positive? Any advice welcome.