Vhs to Dvd

vbimport

Hello, my first post,
I made my 1st sucessful burn yesteday, burning a vhs cassette to a Dvd.
That vhs tape was 51 minutes. So tonight I captured a 1 hour 38 minute movie but am unclear if this will fit on just 1 dvd? I’d hate to spend 1 hour plus converting it only to find I need a dual layer.
I use convertXtodvd, and had my settings on highest quality, which I would still like to keep, but not if I have to go out and purchase dual layer dvd’s.
Last question, the movie I burned tonight, Matrix-Reloaded, will probably have copyright software, altho it played back fine in mpg format. Does the conversion to mpg remove the copyright? (I do own the tape btw.)
Thanks

You can fit 2,3,4 hours or more of Video onto a DVD, it all depends on the bitrate of the video. DVD has multiple ‘DVD Compliant’ resolutions that you can use. Here in the U.S., almost all commercial DVDs are 720x480, but 352x480 and 352x240 are also standard resolutions. At 720x480, you can get about 2 1/2-3 hours before quality suffers enough that you should lower the resolution. At 352x240, you can easily get 6 or 7 hours of video onto a DVD with very good quality at that resolution. And standard VHS is somewhere in the neighborhood of 352x240 in image quality so realistically you could fit a ton of VHS content onto a DVD if you wanted. Using 352x480 or 720x480 would retain a slight amount more detail, but VHS is not very high in resolution so you would not gain much.

Some programs allow control over resolution, bitrate, etc., while others may not. So I don’t know if these adjustments exist on the software you’re using or not.

Welcome to the CDFreaks. most program at the beginning the conversion will give a warning if the file to be converted to DVD won’t fir in to single DVD in that case you have to scarifies the quality by lower the quality of conversion in order to get fit into single DVD.

Also,

If you have a file that cannot fit on a single layer DVD you can use DVDShrink or Nero Recode to compress to single layer. DVDShrink is freeware that you can google on, or search the forum. Nero Recode is available if you have Nero. Both programs will shrink your oversized DVD to a single layer. As other have suggested, you can record a different resolutions, but if this fails you can use DVDShrink or Recode.

What I try to do is to set the actual capture at the highest bitrate (I use WinTV 2000), just to make sure that I will retain as much of the already inferior video of the VHS tapes.
Then I convert using the conversion program 1ClickDVDMovie, which is like ConvertXToDVD, and set it to output a dual layer size. It never gets up to 8.5 GBs, but it does come out higher than 4.36 GBs. That’s where I use DVDRebuilder to encode the converted video to 4.31 GBs. DVDRebuilder allows me to retain the remaining quality of the converted VHS video.

Just a different way of doing it for you to consider.

Encoding three times is something you should avoid if you are striving to retain as much quality as possible. You should try to encode only once if you can since you’re using lossy compression and you’re lowering the quality each time you re-encode it.

How would you recommend to encode just once??
Capture to DVD format to be able to burn to disc???

AFAIK, Gotta capture…convert to DVD format…and lastly to encode with Rebuilder virtually has no effect on quality loss IMHO…

Anyways…I’m open to see what you’d recommend.

BTW, I seem to be getting a video onto the DVDs that ends up looking better played on the DVD player than I was getting from playing the VHS tapes in a VCR…so I can’t be doing too bad, no? :wink:

Yes, you answered your own question - capture as DVD Compliant MPEG2, then author the MPEG2 into DVD Video compliant files (if captured as proper DVD-Complaint MPEG2 using compliant resolution, framerate, etc, then no re-encoding will be needed to simply author the files as DVD Compliant files). One encoding, less work, higher quality.

Well I would consider capturing analogue video to Mpeg2 as also encoding, then to convert to DVD compliant files as another encoding. So that’s two already.

As for the third with Rebuilder, would you rather capture or convert at a lower bitrate that doesn’t need to compress any??
Wouldn’t Rebuilder do a better job of encoding down the size rather than to use a capture software or a conversion software to do the compressing??

Did you read what I said? When you capture it, capture it as DVD Compliant MPEG2, [B]reauthoring does not re-encode the video if it is already DVD Compliant.[/B] It just restructures the data, basically it converts your MPEG2 .mpg files into .VOBs (along with the .IFOs, etc.). Capture it properly and it doesn’t have to be encoded again.

Regarding capturing at the proper bitrate initially vs. capturing at a high bitrate, then re-encoding it down to the intended bitrate using something such as DVD RB, it just depends on what you’re using to do the initial capture. Use something decent with the initial capture and it will render using DVD RB (CCE, QEnc, HCEnc, etc.) or any other encoder pointless.

Capturing to VOB file format doesn’t have the IFOs, so how would you add the IFOs without encoding thru something like Nero Vision Express??

So far it’s been working extremely well for me, so I’d like to ask what you’d recommend as better?

Better capture program that would encode to VOB format, and then to get the IFOs without the need to run thru another program. And lastly which capture software would be able to render Rebuilder pointless. I’m open to actual list of alternatives.

Sigh… Capture to MPEG2, reauthor to DVD Compliant files. No re-encoding is necessary if the MPEG2 files are already DVD Compliant. Should I say this a 4th time?

So you’re saying that if I were to capture to VOB format (which I can), it would not be encoding again to add the IFOs and BUPs?? What would you use to add the IFOs?

And lastly, so you’d recommend to capture at a lower bitrate so as not to need to compress the video at all?

By the way, what would you use to be considered re-authoring and not considered encoding the Mpeg2 files to DVD compliant files?

Hey I gotta go but I’d like to discuss this further with you ScoobieDoobie…
Later :wink:

High marks to scoobiedoobie for patience.

MBK
You can capture mpeg2 in dvd compliant form, then [B]author[/B] them with something like TMPGenc Author 1.6 or DVDLab Pro. This does NOT reencode them. Just puts them in a format that a regular dvd player can read.

scoobie already said this, but a fourth? time never hurts.

I do this when I capture tv programs, but I capture at a high bitrate and only put two episodes on a dvd disk (with menu).

So let’s start from the top…Please bare with me… :flower:

But before we do let’s get a couple things out of the way. First many will say ‘why not just buy the DVD of the VHS tapes’? That is an option, but at over 200 VHS tapes it wouldn’t be viable financially for movies we’ve already seen several times. Besides we also have personal home VHS tapes as well, so capture and convert is the best option for me personally and probably for others as well.
Secondly, lets talk of a movie that is extremely long, The Titanic, which I converted to DVD from two VHS tapes…Alright so far??

OK…I capture the analogue VHS tape to Mpeg2, whether it be standard Mpeg2 or in a DVD format Mpeg2 (VOB file extension but without the IFOs), unless you know of a capture software that captures the analogue straight to DVD compliant files (VOB, IFO, & BUPs)??.
That’s one encoding…agreed?

Second…Now this Mpeg2 capture, whether it be standard Mpeg or in a VOB file extension, needs to be, as you say, ‘re-authored’ or ‘authored’ into DVD compliant titlesets…agreed? Maybe I’m wrong but I consider this encoding again, is not the Mpeg file encoded into another folder with the necessary IFOs & BUPs?? That’s not considered encoding?? Re-authoring is not considered in any way encoding?
And [B]even [/B] if you say it’s not encoding, then ScoobieDoobies’ comment that I am encoding three times is already incorrect since I AM capturing in Mpeg2 format and, as you two are saying, just ‘re-authoring’ the Mpeg capture into DVD compliant VOBs, IFOs, & BUPs…Am I missing something here??

Lastly, according to ScoobieDoobie, I should be easily able to capture the entire Titanic VHS movie at a low bitrate and be able to fit in onto a single layer discs without any need to compress down with either DVDShrink or DVDRebuilder.
[B]‘That’[/B] would retain the video quality more so ??? than, as he stated, encoding three times as I’m doing, even though he and you also state that converting the Mpeg2 file into DVD compliant files is ‘NOT’ encoding.

BTW, so you’re saying that when DVDShrink is ‘re-authoring’ an already DVD Compliant DVD, it is ‘NOT’ considered encoding??? Since it is merely re-authoring??
If I am misunderstanding something, Please let me know what part of this, most needs to be re-taught to me.
It’s quite possible that I have been mis-informed about what encoding is and what it really entails… :wink: :bigsmile:

Scoobie said you encoded three times when you stated:
1.You capture at a high bitrate
2.Convert with 1ClickDVDMovie
3. Reencode with DVDRebuilder.

Many of the all in one programs like 1ClickDVDMovie and Nero Vision will reencode even when they do not have to. This is one reason I don’t use them. It isn’t necessarily a problem with your mpeg2 capture, it is the way many of these programs are set up.

And for the fifth time, authoring a dvd with a program designed for this purpose does not reencode the video. There is NO encoding engine built into DVDLab Pro or TMPGenc Author 1.6 to use the examples I gave earlier. Basically you are adding navigational pointers to the mpeg2 video. In more complex authoring, you are making a branching structure that allows you to select the various menus, chapters, subtitles, and audio and video streams.

Capturing a very large vhs movie at a low bitrate is not something I would recommend. When you push mpeg2 bitrates down to say 4000kbps, your results are less than good.
What I might do in this case would be to capture with a lossless avi codec, then convert to divx or xvid if you needed everything on one disk. If you absolutely need it in mpeg2, split it to two disks, or just have a mediocre copy on one. Starting from VHS you’re not going to ever hit dvd quality anyway, but you can come close to the original quality.

And as for your question about DVDShrink, it is a transcoder, not an encoder or authoring tool. Look up the difference. It will degrade the quality of the video slightly as it processes, even more than a good encoding engine like CCE, TMPGenc or ProCoder.

First of all I’m glad you know the difference of DVDShrink being a transcoder…Explain to me what transcoding is.
Is it compression based encoding?

Thanks for letting me know of DVDLabPro not having a built in encoding engine, My view of encoding a Mpeg2 file to add the IFOs is being explained by you as merely re-authoring the Mpeg2 video with navigational pointers.

I was under the impression that any time you take a video and process it thru a software that alters and then re-structures it to another folder was still considered a form of encoding. Perhaps I’m mis-informed, I’ll have to re-learn the actual definition.

So, I am encoding when capturing to a DVD compliant Mpeg2 file…OK
Second, using 1ClickDVDMovie to make that Mpeg2 file into a DVD compliant structure is also considered encoding…OK
And of course, re-encoding the project with Rebuilder is truly using an Encoder…OK

Alright, I’ll have to re-learn which encoding is really encoding and which is not…OK

Only thing about that though is that the final output of my conversions of those VHS tapes are just as good if not slightly better in digital form using this three encoding method…So what gives with that??
Would encoding only once produce a better final video…I don’t see how??

BTW sometimes it takes about six times before I’m completely convinced that someone is a programmer and knows what each terminolgy really stands for///LOL :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

One more question…

So DVDLabPro simply adds the IFOs (&BUPs) to the Mpeg2 capture? without encoding the video?

Actually another question as well…

So capturing in a higher bitrate which will end up with a Mpeg2 file of over, say, 6.5 GBs, is not recommended to use Rebuilder on???

So , you’re saying…
–Capture to the Mpeg2 file that I am already doing
–Next use a re-authoring program like DVDLabPro over 1ClickDVDMovie or ConvertXToDVD so I won’t be encoding again
–Lastly capture to a size so as to not need to compress

That’s your recommendation to encode only once??
Thanks for your recommendation, BUT no thanks… :wink:

DVDSHRINK is a TRANSCODER, and yes there will be very minimal quality loss, depending on how much compression you use. DVDSHRINK is one of the best at Transcoding with minimal quality loss, and unless you are trying to compress 6 hours onto one dvd, your eyes would never be able to determine the difference (albeit that there is one). As I said, if you want to do video, do yourself a favor, and read up on it. I’ve been doing video for 3 years, and I’m learning more all the time. I spend hours each week on three different forums, and I’m still learning.