VHS to DVD

vbimport

I have some old VHS tapes that are encoded. When I try to burn them to my standalone DVD recorder, I get a dialog box, stating that I cannot copy protected material. Is there any way to get around this and make a DVD from an encrypted VHS tape?

Sure there’s a little machine that will do this BUT it was only available secretly in limited number in europe! :smiley: (I bet there been some elsewhere too but that will take lots of time to find for you! Search google if you like this option.)

Or buy some cheap digitalizer card (like dazzle, cheap and good /it’s like $100-$120 here. I mean the newest product from them! The cheapest on the market,/! Except if it’s /pretty rare case/ damaged serie but they’ll replace a damaged card at the support (the official dazzle support not the shop)!), get it in the computer, get a dvd writer(if you don’t have one already) and burn it! That will work for sure! It works for me all the time! With new and old VHS-s too!

A very few machines will work around this by playing around with pushing record first and then starting the tape.

Huh??? Maybe I’m missing something here, and I’m not sure what he means by encrypted (has copy protection like macrovision?), but unless I am missing something, the units that let you get past the copy protection are very common , and while they are trying to outlaw them, they havent yet and are quite easilly avalable in the US at least. So far as I know they are avalable in Europe too (someone mentioned a big red or something like that a while back that I think was from Europe?). This is the one I have.
http://www.nextag.com/sima-godvd-ct_-_200/search-html
I paid 50$ for it on sale at compusa. I certainly would not pay 130$ for it, as there are suposed to be much beter ones for that much that can get rid of any kind of copy protection including the newest digital ones (like if you ran a dvd player to your dvd recorder, though I have no idea whay you would).
just google sima and you will find a few diffrent models. The ct-2 is cheaper (though I think it may have been replaced by the ct-200 that I got).
If you search the word sima in the forums here, you will find several threads about copying vhs to dvd, which is pretty easy to do. Many people use capture cards and do it on computer but plenty use standalones too and the principles at least as far as the copy guard are the same.
If you go to afterdawn, and search the word sima, you can find some of the other units that are beter, should you wish to pay more. The simas do a decent job with most copy protections you will find on vhs though.
I assume that you are running a vcr to the recorder through rca cables or s-video and rca or something like that. The enhancer just goes inline in the rca or s-video conection.
Am I missing something because vhs to dvd has been done by several members here (including myself but only a few times) and it is pretty simple?

Fyi I’m not sugesting that you search sima because it is the only one or the best. It is just the most common and so you should get some hits that discuss it and others using that search term. The sima’s seemn to do a capable job though.

These VHS tapes are not “encoded”, but they have an encryption/protection on it, called MV/Marcovision.

I f@cking hate macrovision back in the vhs days. Two particular movies, tron and total recall. The original vhs tapes played so f@cked up those bastards should be shot!!!Funny thing is an enhancer gets past it with most equipment. The f@cking copy guard is so severe that the original, wont play for shit, but with a 50$ device, you can copy it and it will actually play beter than the original. I hate macrovision. Not cause they could even stop me from copying movies, but because they seriouslly fucked up originals like highlander and hamlet (with mel gibson).

These days it’s not better with Un-CD’s and to-the-death- protected DVD movies… :frowning:

Thanks for the responses. I really don’t care whether I can copy the encrypted VHS tapes I have. It would just be nicer to have them on DVD instead of tape. One that totally shocked me is a tape I made of the movie “Lucas” back in the mid 80’s. It was taped from TV and I was surprised to find encryption on a movie taped from my satellite system, in those days. I guess they were using tape encryption a lot longer ago than I thought. Anyhow, thanks for the input. Except for the one guy who can’t type without using profanity every other word. Totally uncalled for and without class.

That Macrovison system has been around for at least that long (mid 70’s as I recall) and was specifically intended to prevent duplicating videotapes to another recorder. Unlike region-free dvd players now, just about any VCR you could get has it built in. It basically screws up part of the analog output signal so that it doesn’t really matter what you try to copy to. Ways around it are actually pretty pricey so unless those tapes mean a lot to you it’s probably not worth it.

That should not have been possible. The only way I could do what you are saying would be to tape over a commercial tape but somehow keep the Macrovision.