VHS to DVD

Hey All…

I have a 7yr. old girl with a ton of kids VHS tapes that I would like to convert to DVD. I’m totally unfamiliar with this process. I would like to know what one needs to do this through a PC. I presume that I would need some type of capture card of sorts. But don’t know what. I read a thread the other day that Big Mike responded to. He mentioned that he’s done this and with what but I can’t find the thread again. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated. Also would there be any kind of copy protection on the VHS tapes to contend with? And if so, can one get around this LEGALLY when the tapes are purchased by me.
Thanks
Mark

Yo Mark-

Here it is again-

Get a V-Stream “Xpert DVD Maker” kit from www.newegg.com for $30

It gives you a video capture card that goes into a pci slot and Power Producer 2 Gold (upgradeable for free on CyberLinks site to latest version) and a “dongle” (wires that connect the white/red/yellow and audio output from your VHS player)-

This neet little setup lets you either copy direct from tape to DVD in real time or compile a movie on HD to then copy to DVD-

Works great!! I’m using it to copy all my old VHS movies and to put all my vacation C-VHS tapes in one place on DVD - it also allows you to copy in SL - LP - ELP so you can do a 4 hour movie to one DVD - and all for $30!!

Happy Burnin’

Mike

Yo Mark-

Just a thought - if you want to find something that someone has written - click on their blue name on the left - click on “Find More Post By…” and you can see all their postings and scroll down to the one you want to read and open it-

Cool 'eh?

Mike

I understand you wanted the conversion to take place in your PC but the very best way and the fastest to convert VHS tapes to DVD is to purchase a stand alone DVD recorder. You can buy one at Sams or Costco for about $250.00 with a DVD and a VHS player in the same recorder . Look in eBay also you might find one for around a $125.00 used. Just place your DVD media in the DVD and your tape in the VHS player and a few steps you are copying your tape. Very fast and great job. Please remember not to buy cheep media. Ritric G04 is the best blank media. This is must better than a capture card and all the steps you must do in a PC. Hope this will help.
Have a great Thanksgiven day. Robert

Hey Robert…

I’ve not seen a combo DVD - VHS Recorder. Do you have any makes or model #'s? It’s almost hard to believe that a combo recorder would be that cheap. I’ve seen some plain DVD recorders out, but the cheapest I’ve seen thos e was around $175.00 and it was a lessor known brand. Appreciate any more tips. And for Big Mike, how’s the quality from what you’ve done? Thanks Brother’s

Mark

Yo Mark-

Quality = to original-

Mike

Hey Mike…

Right on. Perfect timing with this reply. I’m on with Newegg right now. Your ears must of been burning. Thanks Brother.

Mark

also might find something/links etc @ http://www.videohelp.com/capture

:smiley: Good Morning Mike: I have a Toshiba DVD Recorder Model SD-V392. I purchased this unit at Costco for $249.50 on sale about two months ago. They still sell this model. I had a Go-Video which was a dual model, one DVD
and one VHS slots. This Toshiba model has only a DVD slot, works great with very good recordings. I have burned over a hundred DVD from VHS tapes without no problems at all. The Go-Video was given to a friend because I never used the VHS slot. You only need a dual slot machine if you do not have a stand alone VHS player. If you have a stand alone VHS player all you need to do is hook up a pair of cables, Video and sound from the VHS player to the input to the recorder. You must remember one thing. Many VHS tapes are protected and all recorders will not play protective tapes. You have to purchase a devise that strips out the protection to the input of the recorder.
This little box is called a GoDVD and can be found on eBay for around $75.00.
This box has it’s own power supply and all you do is place the video out cable from the VHS player to the input of the GoDVD and place a cable from the output of GoDVD to the input of the recorder. It will strip all the protection off on any VHS tape to want to copy.
Now to me and many others this is the best way to copy your VHS tapes. I believe this is less work than using your PC.
Mike if you still want to copy with your PC remember the PC will not copy protection tapes. With the GoDVD box you can run the cables the same as for the recorder to the input to your capture card. You will need, no matter what method you use this GoDVD box. Do a search on eBay you will find several at a good price. A great little box. Well worth the price.

Mike if you need more help please fell free to contact me.
I am a three stooges fan. I have copied over a hundred of their shorts from VHS tapes to DVD dish and never had a problem. Remember to order only Ritex G04 blank medium You can find them at $56.00 per hundred with free shipping. DO NOT USE store blank disks, any manf., because they are all bad. Check out the forums on this site under Media.
Have a good Thanksgiven Day. Don’t eat too much. Robert :bigsmile:

Hey Robert…

Thanks for the tip. I will check into the GoVideo device. But as for store bought, mfg. media, I’ll have to some what dissagree with you. If you know what brands are what, you can find quality media. ie. 3 weeks ago Best Buy had 25 disk cake box of TDK 8X DVD+R’s for $9.99. These turned out to be RICOHJPNR02. I’ll by these all day long at that price. Also yesterday I picked up a 25 disk cake box of Fuji 8X DVD+R’s for $14.99. These in turn are YUDEN000T02. Which isn’t to shabby either. I know you can find a little better pricing at rima.com, and supermedia.com in larger bulk (100’s) but I’ll pay a couple of cents more to get it NOW and not wait and possibly pay for shipping. But I’ll admit that one does need to know what to look for when shopping the major stores. Hope you have a GREAT Thanksgiving.

Mark uuuhhhhhh not Mike :bigsmile:

Hey Robert…

Are you talking about Sima CT1 GoDVD Video enhancer?

The CT1 is an enhancement device for home video duplication. It accepts a video signal (Composite or S-Video) reduces sync noise and allows a VHS or DVD copy to be made with a video level control.
If so, how does this have anything to do with stripping protection. Looks to me is it’s just a adjuster for the video level. Or is there another product called GoDVD?

Mark

Yo Mark-

After our round yesterday - I went to a friend that has a $500 Sony RDRVX500 DVD/VHS recorder-

Using the exact same media (Taiyo Yuden) the comparison of the exact same VHS tape - we both came to the conclusion that they were equal in quality of recording - as player on his HDTV-

So for my $30 for the card and software plus $45 for the Panasonic VHS stand alone - I’ve got essentially the same quality plus I have the added ability to record my home video to my hard drive - edit and produce my own DVD’s from the camcorder - which he cannot do-

BTW - the cheapest that I could find Power Producer 2 on google was $27.95 + shipping (so we got the card and dongle for free!!!)

Life is good-

Mike

Hey Mike…

What do you know about this GoDVD CT2 digital video duplicator that Robert (below) is talking about to be able to do copy protected tapes? He claims this is needed to do all tapes that have level 1 & 2 copy protection. Are you using anything like this?

Mark

Yo-

Have not had any problems so far with copy protection - not to say that I may have in the future - but 20 movies so far and nothing…

Mike

Hey Mike…

Well what the hell. It’s only $30.00 so I’m not out a ton if it fails. But if it works for you, I think it’s at least worth a try. Those clowns at NewEgg are cracked. $29.00 for the card and $.99 for shipping. Go figure. I love NewEgg’s shipping. If any shipping charge, it’s just penny’s. Literally.:smiley: Got to love it. Thanks

Mark

Good Morning Mike: I sent you a e-mail this morning about the box. Yes, this is the one you need.
I want to talk to you about blank medium. I tried the one you said you either saw or purchased. I also, when I first started to copy DVD purchased these same medum. All went bad after six months of storage. Why, because each of my copied DVD I place a proffessional lable on them. Check out the forum on labeling DVD and CD. Most tell you not to place labels on them. I am hardheaded and wanted to put labels on all my DVD. I purchased Ritex G04 and started to put my labels on them. It has been about a year now and all
my copies with lables are still working. That shows me the medium was good.
Some of other medium has a very small amount of layers on the DVD and are not very thick. A cheep medium after setting for six months when you play it will start to freeze and very slow to start playing again. I have not tested cheep medium without a lable to see if the same thing happens. I really do not wish to test because I have a working system now. Go the the medium forms here and look around. This forum you will learn about medium. Hope this helps, Mike. :smiley:

Yo Mark-

Well - wouldn’t you know it - I hit the wall trying to copy “Flashdance” and burned three coasters before giving up - found a goDVD ct-1 for $40 shipped - I’ll give it a go and let you know if I overcome the protection-

Mike

Hey Mike …

Sorry to hear that. And even sorrier to hear you ordered the CT-1. From what I understand it’s the CT-2 that you need. Hope I’m wrong for your sake. I read a thread some where (but not here) that claimed this. I did just minutes ago get an e-mail responce from a guy at Sima and he verified that you need the CT-2 and that it is compatible with PC. Hopefully you see this in time and you can update your order. Who did you get it from?

Mark

Hey Mike…

Here is one link that I found but I’m going to keep looking. So far Tiger Direct has it for $69.99 which is the cheapest so far. I’ll let you know if I find it any cheaper.

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Sima_GoDVD__video_enhancer/4505-7847_16-30813103.html

Mark

Yo-

In my reading - I came to the conclusion that the CT-1 was ok for what I wanted (CT-2 has more features but still allows overcoming protection-which is all I need as the card and software does the other stuff) - It’s too late now as it is in the UPS system - so I’ll try it and if it doesn’t work - I’ll RMA it for a CT-2

Mike