VHS to DVD copy problem

vbimport

I have copied a home movies VHS tape to a DVD and it plays in the DVD player just fine.
Now I am trying to make copies of this DVD and everything I have tried has not worked.
I tried Windows Media Center and it said it copied it just fine but nothing would play on the DVD player.

Thank you very much for your help.

So, you have a TV card or a capture-card in your PC? Could you give us details about this process? What kind of card? What software is it using to ‘capture’ or record the VHS-tape as it’s playing. And then it creates a file that ends with what kind of extension (suffix)? “.MPG”? “.MP4?” And once you have it recorded onto the PC, you can watch it there, yes? Via Windows Media Center or Win Media Player or some other video player?

And finally, you do something - there is a video-conversion process to create Video-DVD files - the .VOB files, the .IFO and .BUP files? Could you name this software for us?

[B][I]OR…[/I][/B]

Do you have a TV-DVD-VHS player that does a push-the-button Play & Convert process, so you load in the VHS movie and a blank DVD, and whoosh, off it goes and spits out a DVD, yes?

When these fail to play on one piece of your equipment, do they also fail to play on your computer?

(As I’m rambling, I’m thinking this is a Finalize Disk issue… if it’s a Finalize Disk issue, you should not be able to ‘read’ a file-listing on your Computer, either. If you plug that DVD into your PC (or Mac) and ‘open’ the disk to list it’s file-contents, can you see any file-names? If not, then I’m going to guess “This is a Finalize Disk issue…”)

[QUOTE=ddhh;2652165]I have copied a home movies VHS tape to a DVD and it plays in the DVD player just fine.
Now I am trying to make copies of this DVD and everything I have tried has not worked.
I tried Windows Media Center and it said it copied it just fine but nothing would play on the DVD player.
[/QUOTE]

You have to get software like DVDFab to make Back-up Copies of the DVD. This software will pull the right Files if it can read the DVD. :cool:

ChristineBCW & alchav21 - Thank you for your reply.
I have a Toshiba DVR670KU - DVD Video Recorder/Video Cassette Recorder that I bought in 2011.
This is where I put the VHS tape in and the blank DVD and was recorded.
I have a computer HP, Model HPE-150f, 8.00 GB Ram, Processor - Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz, Hard Drive - 920 GB.
Windows 7

This tells you what I am useing trying to copy the DVD that has had a VHS tape put on it.

I don’t know what else you need to help me to copy .
Please tell me what you need and where to get it and I will provide it for you.

Thank you very much for all of your help.

I also have the 1ClickDVD Copy Pro and Roxio Creator 2012
and neither one of them worked.

If the problem is due to a failure to close, or “finalize” the disc, you need to put it back in the Toshiba dvd recorder first and follow any instructions in your manual for finalizing discs.

Then take it to the computer to copy. This can be done in any number of ways, but DVDFab, as suggested earlier would work.

If you cannot finalize the disc for some unknown reason, you may be reduced to using a program like ISOBuster to extract the contents of the disc and put it on the hard drive.

Kerry56 - Thank you for your reply.
The Toshiba writes it 100% to the disc and I think it is ok because I can
play it on the TV right after it copies it from the VHS tape to the DVD.
So I think it is coping ok.

Thank you for your help.

I looked it the DVDFab and it sounded like it was just like the 1ClickDVD Copy Pro.

[QUOTE=alchav21;2652193]You have to get software like DVDFab to make Back-up Copies of the DVD. This software will pull the right Files if it can read the DVD. :cool:[/QUOTE]

According to [B]ddhh[/B] “I have [B]copied a home movies VHS tape[/B] to a DVD”

Which means a commercial program like DVDFab is not required because there is no copy protection on the created backup disc.

@[B]ddhh[/B]

Have you tried using DVD Shrink to see if it will open the disc you created if it does you should be able to use DVD Shrink to make your duplicate copies.

StormJumper - Thank you for your reply.
I don’t know what DVD Shrink is so I Goggled it and I am not sure how to use it?
I have not downloaded it yet, it said it was Freeware.

[QUOTE=ddhh;2652209]StormJumper - Thank you for your reply.
I don’t know what DVD Shrink is so I Goggled it and I am not sure how to use it?
I have not downloaded it yet, it said it was Freeware.[/QUOTE]

Freeware means it is free however it is outdated and no longer in development but still works great, as Kerry stated if the disc has not been closed or finalized this can cause issues.

You can check the disc with a program called ImgBurn to see if it has been finalized which ImgBurn does have the ability to close it if this is indeed the problem.

[QUOTE=ddhh;2652205]I looked it the DVDFab and it sounded like it was just like the 1ClickDVD Copy Pro.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like Fab and 1Click can’t read your DVD, so it must be different Files. Commercial DVD’s use VOB Files, so try a Trial Version of DVDFab and see what happens. :cool:

StormJumper & alchav21 - Thank you for your reply.
If I am able to play the DVD that was just copied, I would think that would mean that it was “disc has been closed or finalized”.
If I got a trial version of DVDFab I think the 1Click Copy Pro handles VOB files also, when I read ablot it.

uh, no. the dvd can playback on the device you made it with but that doesn’t mean it will playback on other dvd players.
If your recorder doesn’t by default finalize a disc, you must place it back in the recorder and finalize it.

I can’t put it better than Steve33 . Especially if it is a -R it is even more likely it wasn’t finalized. The same is true for a +R except more DVD recorders are default set to finalize those.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2652217]uh, no. the dvd can playback on the device you made it with but that doesn’t mean it will playback on other dvd players.
If your recorder doesn’t by default finalize a disc, you must place it back in the recorder and finalize it.[/QUOTE]

DVD’s and Blu-rays are pretty basic, they are just Video Files that are Streamed to your HDTV. You made these DVD’s with your Toshiba, and there is no telling what Format was used. So the Toshiba will recognize these DVD’s and play them, but it sounds like nothing else will do the same. If DVDFab does not recognize these DVD’s, then you have to find out what Format Toshiba is using. :cool:

DDHH, let’s skip all the other suggestions about software on the PC for the moment, and see if you can help us with the “Is the disk finalized or not?” issue.

Take one of those DVDs that plays in your Toshiba DVR670KU, and load that into your computer. I bet it doesn’t play, does it?

Next, with that DVD disk still your computer (probably in D: Drive?), go to your MY COMPUTER icon and double-click to open it, and then browse over to D: Drive and see if any file-names are displayed. Any at all. I have a feeling “no”, and you may even get odd errors like, “No disc” or “No valid disc”.

If this occurs, then we’ve got a “No Finalized Disk” issue.

A “Finalized Disk” has a tiny command embedded in a DVD Blank saying, “OK, that’s all, folks!” and any other DVD player will look for an Opening Byte and that closing Finalized Byte first, then the Player will start reading from the beginning’s data (the movie files).

When DVD players don’t see that Finalized “That’s all, folks!” command, they don’t even bother trying anything else. They just sit there - “Whatcha want me to do with this? Spin endlessly?” Yes, that’s what they’re thinking.

So, you have to re-explore your Toshiba DVR670KU and figure out what buttons you need to push to issue the Finalize Disk command. It might be in the SETUP menus - probably a checkbox like, “Finalize Disk?”

EDIT: In my next REPLY, note that Toshiba uses the phrase “MAKE COMPATIBLE”. Du-uh.

I went over to Google and did a search on “Toshiba DVR670KU” and came up with several absolutely worthless sites at the top… then…

Here’s the closest thing I saw on a Toshiba Forum page.

[B]I was wrong - they don’t use “Finalize”. They use “Make Compatible”.
[/B]
Ugh. Everyone in the world uses “finalize” but Toshiba calls it “Make Compatible”. OK, fine.

So… use your remote’s SETUP button (or if that’s on the face of the DVR unit), then GENERAL, then find the “Make Compatible” option, and “YES”.

You’d think that would be the Default choice. Sheesh. Well, by not giving users that option, Toshiba is thinking all DVDs are only played on that one unit!

If this works for you, DDHH, come back and NOW all of the previous discussions about DVD FAB and DVD SHRINK can be useful to you in other endeavors.

Thank you all for all of your help.
I read the manual that came with it and found the section that said “Playing the discs in other players” and it talks about “Finalizing a disc”.
It took a very short time to do it and now the computer can tell there is data on it and the 1clickDVD Copy Pro works.
The FIRST screen that comes up before the DVD starts to play is the
Date and time of the recording and you must click on it first and then it starts to play, I will see if I can get rid of that or if it has to be there.
It also had a line for a Title but I could not enter anything in it.
It Finalized it so fast and it did not even tell me it was doing it or when it was done.

Thank you all so very much for your help.