VHS to computer

vbimport

Hello:

I do not know if this is the place to ask about VHS to computer copying, but here it is. I have Win 7 and graphics cards from 2007 (not too bad), and I want to copy a number of VHS;s to my computer. I need an RCA to USB cable, but anything more hardwarewise?

Would anyone be able to recommend a good piece of software to use?

Thanks,

Hans L

What you need is a capture card or device.
I had bad luck with the Roxio one so I would stay away from it.
Some say some of the older Hauppauge cards do a good job of this.
Newer one don’t remove the Macrovision if you are working with commercial VHS tapes.
If you’re not then the problem is easier.
You may even need a video stabilizer for some commercial VHS tapes.
Like Grex or SEMA.
I don’t have a good USB to RCA capture device to suggest. That’s what the Roxio I have is suppose to do but isn’t compatable with Vista. I recently aquired a used by Dazzle but I haven’t had time to install it . I do very little capture from VHS.

Let me just ask you, before commenting, whether you have heard of

Sold by Amazon (and possibly others).

Regards,

Hans L

I haven’t heard of the Easycap but I have used this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pinnacle+-+Dazzle+DVD+Recorder+Plus+Video+Capture+Cable/9714459.p;jsessionid=BBF58E6D3F44CFF959D09610A61A6D55.bbolsp-app01-37?id=1218156772061&skuId=9714459. It works as expected, no problems, but as Cholla pointed out, it’s not for commercial VHS tapes.

The one I haven’t tried or installed yet is a Dazzle Digital Video 80 .
I also have a Dimax Grex so copy protection isn’t a problem.

I want to give this one another blackeye . It’s software caused nothing but problems .
It also wouldn’t work with other software.
It is Roxio Easy VHS to DVD . My advice is don’t buy it. Don’t even take it for free.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2602246]I haven’t heard of the Easycap but I have used this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pinnacle+-+Dazzle+DVD+Recorder+Plus+Video+Capture+Cable/9714459.p;jsessionid=BBF58E6D3F44CFF959D09610A61A6D55.bbolsp-app01-37?id=1218156772061&skuId=9714459. It works as expected, no problems, but as Cholla pointed out, it’s not for commercial VHS tapes.[/QUOTE]

Almost $50.00. EasyCap is $8.00.

Hans L

Give it a try . The worst that can happen is it won’t work.
It was the Roxio software that was necessary for the card to work that caused major system problems for me. I eventually went to a backup I had but I had been lax & it was not as new as I would have liked. So keep that in mind if you try the EasyCap. You might want to see if you can find some reviews on it.
You didn’t say what kind of VHS tapes you are trying to copy. Are they comercial movie tapes ?

Cholla, I have a mix of tapes, but I can buy disks for most of the commercial tapes. So, I’ll give it a go and I will probably use Golden Videos VHS to DVD Converter (http://www.nchsoftware.com/goldenvideos/index.html), which someone has use with EasyCap.

I’ll report back how it turned out.

Regards,

Hans L

On the commercial tapes it is a choice of if you want to spend the money for a video stabilizer like the Grex .
One thing you need to know is the quality will not be better than it is on the VHS tapes & probably not quite as good.
I don’t have an SVHS player but I understand they have the best output maybe up to 400i . Standard VHS would be 240i .
Those are the facts I have anyway.
I did run across one combo unit that is supposed to upscale the VHS but I doubt that works. I would have to see it.
I would be interested in your results with the Easy Cap.
If I have time I may give the Dazzle a try this weekend . The problems I had with the Roxio make me cautious to try another one.
Especially since I cad record commercial VHS tapes from my Magnovox combo unit to my standalone Magnavox DVD recorder through the Grex . That doen’t even need the computer.

Cholla, at a price of $80.00 for the Grex, I’d rather buy the discs for the few commercial tapes that I would want to own. For the rest (e.g, The Boys From Brazil, about the soccer team from Brazil, with Pele, that won, for instance, the 1958 World Cup in Sweden – my old country – I may have to do something special, such as paying someone here locally to do the transfer).

I’v already ordered EasyCap and downloaded the Golden Video software (free), a combination someone said he had used with success, and I will report back.

As I said in my first message, I used and gave up on a combo unit (Sony RDR-VX525; it was useless). A friend gave it to me, because he could not use it and he bought another unit (can’t remember which, but I can find out if you want to know).

Well, Cholla, I can see that you are well equipped. Good for you! I have a limited number (about 50) tapes that are of interest to me, and I can probably get away with only copying about 25.

Best regards,

Hans L

Hans , I agree the Grex is pricy. Mine cost $89.00 US plus shipping .
I had to think about it a while before I decided to buy it.
I did because it has two uses for me.
One to remove Macrovision from VHS tapes.
Two to remove broadcast flags form some channels on my satellite reciever.
Those are not too bad yet but will probably get worse as time goes by.
The Grex site has connection diagrams for some combo units so they can use the Grex.
If you try to dub from VHS to DVD disc the internal Macrovision won’t let you. Unless it is one that can be “tricked” by connecting the Grex a certain way.
The methods I looked at seemed to be more trouble than it would be worth.
My self I prefer to just use the VCR side of the combo to play the VHS tape then output through the Grex to a standalone DVD recorder.
There are supposed to be some units that “up convert” but I have never seen one.
That would be one that up converts from a VHS tape.
I did see a capture device posted a while back that the member using it said it wasn’t advertised to remove Macrovision but seemed to anyway. So the EasyCap may do this & not need a video stabilizer like the Grex.
As I posted some of the older Hauppauge video cards also removed Macrovision.
I don’t know how available they are.
Good luck & post your results.

Hauppauge has the same device as EasyCap. It is called USB Live2, and it is $49.00.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_usblive2.html

Anyway, i will try the EasyCap and the free software I downloaded, and I will report.

Thanks you, Cholla.

Hans L

PS. Cool with the possibility to listen to the pronunciation of your name.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2602246]I haven’t heard of the Easycap but I have used this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pinnacle+-+Dazzle+DVD+Recorder+Plus+Video+Capture+Cable/9714459.p;jsessionid=BBF58E6D3F44CFF959D09610A61A6D55.bbolsp-app01-37?id=1218156772061&skuId=9714459. It works as expected, no problems, but as Cholla pointed out, it’s not for commercial VHS tapes.[/QUOTE]

So much has gone though my mind since we had this exchange. So, I need to ask: Pinnacle + Grex would connect my VHF player to my computer without a capture card?

I have decided not to spend any more money on any cheaper devices, so P + G is the way I want to go (if it works).

Regards,

Hans L

I use the EasyCap with Ulead movie software,works pretty decent all in all.

I don’t have a capture card connected to my computer . I use standalones for transfer of VHS to DVD .
I will say as long as the Grex is in the video out from the VHS player to a standalone in the copy protection of the commercial VHS tape will be removed.
The same should work with capture card connected to a computer.
The problem I had with the Roxio card was incompatibility with my OS.
I still haven’t tried the Dazzle I have.
Maybe next weekend I will give it a try.