VHS movies

I have a lot of vhs movies and want to transfer to DVD.
Is there a vhs decoder? and what software should I use?

It really depends on the expectation you have. If these VHS are ones you made or movies you bought, that will also make a difference.
For ones you made yourself, you can do it easily with a capture card or a DVD recorder VHS combo machine. - Easiest and fastest method.
If these are store bought movies, it will require some additional devices and allot of time to get, IMHO poor, quality VS just buying a DVD of the same movie.
Anymore details in your expectations?

[B]TheOldMan [/B]summed it up for you.
If you want to copy commercial VHS tapes, you will need, what is called a “Video Stabilizer” and place the box in video stream to get rid of protection.
This cannot be done using VHS/DVD combo recorder.
You will need either a capture card or analogue to digital converter (a box, something like Pinacle offers).
Than you need editing, dvd authoring and burning software to make DVD.
I think it may be cheaper and better quality if you can get the same movie already on DVD.

thanks for the come back!
ted

CDuncle…what do you mean by a box like Pinacle offers ? would this be available in south africa ?please send me aprivate message with more details…thanx

I have copied a number of tapes to DVD.
The method I use is to connect my VHS player to my hdd/DVD recorder via a small device that removes the false sync pulse present on the tapes, some call this device a video stabiliser.
I have found this method most satisfactory as I can leave it running in the other room whilst on the computer.
You could substitute the recorder for your computer and use a video capture card but this will tie your machine up and you will still need the stabiliser.
Unlike backing up DVD’s the recording is in real time and if you have a large number of tapes you will be doing it for weeks/months on a daily basis.

[QUOTE=Jolly-Roger;2204054]CDuncle…what do you mean by a box like Pinacle offers ? would this be available in south africa ?please send me aprivate message with more details…thanx[/QUOTE]

I mean something like this

Click on “Features”.

CDuncle thanx 4 your advice :bow: it seems like cheapest option would be to buy combo vhs/dvd recoder :cool:…could iuse such a combo unit to make dvd from stuff recorded from tv and video tapes made with video camera ?? :rolleyes:

You have to be careful with most combo’s as they will not let you record commercial tapes as there is no way on most that lets you use a stabiliser.

weedougie,…thanks for reply. how do u work with commercial vhs totransfer to dvd ? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Jolly-Roger;2204890]weedougie,…thanks for reply. how do u work with commercial vhs totransfer to dvd ? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

If you read my first post for [B]tbriones[/B], I am talking about it there.

I have just started to use this product & so far have not recquired a video stabilizer between the VCR & the computer.

http://www.adstech.com/products/USBAV-191-EF/intro/USBAV_191_intro.asp?pid=USBAV-192-EF

[QUOTE=beef barley;2206279]I have just started to use this product & so far have not recquired a video stabilizer between the VCR & the computer.

http://www.adstech.com/products/USBAV-191-EF/intro/USBAV_191_intro.asp?pid=USBAV-192-EF[/QUOTE]

This product is analogue to digital converter, which include video stabilizer.
If you get stabilizer on its own you still require converter to download to hard drive.

[quote=CDuncle;2206285]This product is analogue to digital converter, which include video stabilizer.
If you get stabilizer on its own you still require converter to download to hard drive.[/quote]

Yes & yes?

CDuncle…it seems as if the software u mention PINNACLE IS NOT AVAILABLE IN SOUTH AFRICA ! thanx for tip anyway !

Can you get what [B]beef barley [/B] suggest, it is the same thing.
If you have a digital movie camera, it could be used as a converter also, that is what I use. Check camera manual, if that is possible.

beef barley…what are u using to convert purchased vhs to dvd ?

VideoXpress/MediaTV 3 capture output is .mpg, convertXtoDvd (I would think you could use Dvd Flick etc), output is AUDIO/VIDEO_TS, FixVts (creating backup), Dvd Shrink if it needs a little shrinking to fit on single layer, create an ISO, then burn with ImgBurn. Link to the product info is in Post #12.