VHS capture to dvd or svcd

Any suggestion out there?

Been looking at a few different options to back-up my old VHS collection to disk…juggling between DVDXMAKER and the ADS box.

Realize I’ll need a capture interface on the pc for a software only solution like XMAKER…be it a pass through on my camcorder via firewire,or a capture device either slot card or external unit…Have some concerns neither deals directly with macrovsion…may have to invest in a black box too…dunno…any help appreciated…:slight_smile:

Depending on the tape…am as apt to go for single movie on SVCD as DVD…file size permitting…we’re talking VHS as the source file here…:slight_smile:

A cheap and easy to use capture card is the Avermedia DVD EZmaker. Several setups to choose from (USB, PCI, AGP). Then you just need a simple cable connecting the Video Out from the VCR to Video In on the card and Audio Out from VCR to your sound card. Ulead MovieFactory & Video Studio are fairly simple to use. I think you can find trial downloads to test out. You really have to play around with different settings to get a decent DVD, but it’s worth it. Check out DVDRHelp.com for TONS of helpful info and downloads. Good luck!

i myself used to capture to dvd. Depending on the quality of the source and the length.
I put several movies on the dvd including menu’s and effects and so on.

Tried the following software;
-pinncacle studio
-virtualdub + filters
-magic movie maker
and
Davideo VHS

I ended with using davideo VHS mostly…because it was not that bloated and didn’t need that much cpu power.
The bad thing of capturing is, you need lots of hdd space

the macrovision protection will give you problems though, you might neeed to buy your blackbox…if it is stil egal in your country.

Thanks for the replies…will check them out, nobody run into a problem with macrovison though?

Drive space is pretty liberal here…picked up a pair of 80gigs pretty cheap. They are only udma100’s, but figured for bulk storage…not a bad idea.

Either of you have experience with the ADS capture box? It comes bundled with some of the software you mention, and has the option of firewire instead of just usb…usb is kinda clunky in my opinion, as I aleady have 2 usb devices attatched this box…

the macrovision protection will give you problems though, you might neeed to buy your blackbox…if it is stil egal in your country.

just re-read your post Dami…thanks for the input…:slight_smile:

egal=legal…of course…lol

I know that macrovision black boxes are illegal in for example Germany…but some post-order companies still sell them