Vhs-capture Resolution And Sound Question Pls

vbimport

I’m capturing VHS video, been reading a lot here and some other places but still got a couple of questions:

[ol]
[li]Which resolution is the optimal to capture a regular original VHS film. I found the following info at digitalFaq.com which is supposed to be knowledeable, “As was stated in the section “Understanding your source” the optimal settings for tv, VHS, and satellite captures is 352x480 interlaced and DVD requires 48hz audio.” I followed the advice BUT noticed that 352x480 resolution when viewed , at least in PC is “vertical” image the width is less than the height. Is this correct?? should I use other res (rectangular)?? or when burn into DVD it should look ok ?? [/li][li]Although the video is captured ok, I have no sound, don’t know what’s happening?? The little “hub” where video from VHS (RCA) is plugged the sound is also plugged (stereo RCA) and is connected trough a single cable into vid card (IAW 9800 Pro) but after capture, no sound is recorded. [/li]
[/ol] Any help really appreciated :bow::bow:

Is this correct?? should I use other res (rectangular)?? or when burn into DVD it should look ok ??

Using these settings I was able to capture many hours of home video. It looks as good on DVD as it does on VHS.

Although the video is captured ok, I have no sound, don’t know what’s happening?? The little “hub” where video from VHS (RCA) is plugged the sound is also plugged (stereo RCA) and is connected trough a single cable into vid card (IAW 9800 Pro) but after capture, no sound is recorded.

If you play the video without capturing do you have sound? Make sure your AIW is connect to your soundcard - either internally using a CD connector (or aux) or externally to the aux input using the supplied connector.

Thx for your answer, but:

[ul]
[li]I understand that using the 352x480 resolution, then is ok, despite looking somewhat “vertical” on pc screen??[/li][li]I do have sound when playing the VHS source and even when capturing, but no sound when playing the captured file. My connection is done externally from Vid Card out to sound-in, I do have on-board audio, but I don´t think there is a problem there cause I can here everything played in any program.[/li][/ul]Thx again, :bow: comments welcome

I just check the settings I used to capture my VHS tapes.

Type: MPEG-2
Video: 352x480, NTSC (525) 3.90 M Bit/Second
Audio: 48.000KHz, 16 Bit, Stereo

I’m using the ATI capture (MMC) version 9.02. I used version 8.x in the past.

If viewing the video using Windows Media Player, the video has black bars on either side (my resolution is 1024x768). It will appear different if your resolution is different.

What is your sound card? Can it handle 48.000 KHz? Maybe try it at 44.000 KHz to test.

You could also add the video to your DVD Authoring program to see if the sound track is there.

Hello again,

I have same setting for capture, just that use AVI instead of MPEG, is there an advantage of doing on or the other??, and when playing captured video, I have no bars anywhere, my resolution is 1280x1024. How can I verify that my onboard sound can handle 48.000 KHz? I got an MSI K8N NEO2 platinum, and it is supposed to have “good” onboard sound.

Thx for your comments :slight_smile: