Vhs 2 dvd tech support needed

vbimport

Hi I am new here, obviously. I live in Washington State and work part time at a refuse transfer station…yeah that means basically a garbage dump & recycling facility. I have some good basic knowledge of computers & not afraid to get inside them to install new cards, etc. I did in fact go to junior college (I kno wooohooo) to get a degree in tech support but life got in the way so I’m outta the loop lately.
I desperatley seek help in transferring VHS to DVD. I have a usb video capture device it’s a SmartDisk (which I think was bought out by verbatim recently) and the software is VideoSafe with ArcSoft QuickDVD. My issue is that I can get the vhs to transfer and burn but there is no sound.

It can’t be that hard, the smartdisk has audio/video jacks and s-video…of course the vcr I have does not support svideo and don’t know if that makes a difference. but anyway it seems to be hooked up correctly…

Help please!!!

I only have a handful of vhs to transfer (I threw out a ton and have purchased replacements on some) so I don’t want to spend a great deal of money on a device but I do seriously welcome reccomendations on other devices and software.
Thank you so much in advance for your help
Sincerely
shannon

I just signed up to this forum and I’m sorry If I seem impatient but this no sound issue is driving me nuts I been at it all day…please read previous thread in Newbies…
again much appreciation for your help…
Sincerely,
Shannon :sad:

I’ve merged your two threads shan88. You’ll have to be patient and wait for someone with more experience than I in VHS to DVD transfers.

The only Verbatim Smartdisk products I am familiar with are external hard drives, not video capture devices…so I am not of much use here.

I can sympathize with you. I have the same problem. I have used two VHS to DVD programs, over two years, both burned “direct to disc” then suddenly stopped producing audio. The discs played audio on my DVD player/TV combo but had no audio on my computer.

Its time to format C drive cuz I the frustration is driving me !!??. :confused:

I tried all the master sound option changes I could understand but no luck. Uninstalling and reloading the VHS to DVD soft and hardware made no difference.

Any ideas out there??
thx
exceed

Thank u for ur sympathy…I kno they so want to burn direct i would prefer to copy to hard drive then edit then burn…

I cannot and will not pay like 8.95 per video to transfer it’s ridikulous!!!

I gotta guy at work who has done it but his audio is so wacked either way to loud or way to low…I’ll check with him on wednesday…

I cannot be more irritated with this…also I would like to know how to connect my DVR to my pc/laptop so I can record those shows I’ve saved to DVD…naturally I get no help from comcast…it’s not like I’m pirating…it’s just like vhs recording and keeping it for later…wtf :slight_smile:

thank you, sorry for being so impatient.

Ok it’s way late…does anyone have any suggestions for me yet???

yup gotta go…seriously 12 hours of research is killing me…

It took me most of 2 days to find a Vista driver for my Deskjet 5850

FWIW I use a TV capture card that I play my VHS through and save onto my HDD.

Then I use TMPGEnc DVD Author to remove all the ads and other programmes etc

Then I run DVD Shrink and burn onto DVD.

A very looooong and slooowow process, but well worth the effort in the end :slight_smile:

[B]@shan88:[/B] No more new threads please, unless you have a different topic.

[I]Two threads merged.[/I]

[QUOTE=shan88;2190439]
I desperatley seek help in transferring VHS to DVD. I have a usb video capture device it’s a SmartDisk (which I think was bought out by verbatim recently) and the software is VideoSafe with ArcSoft QuickDVD. My issue is that I can get the vhs to transfer and burn but there is no sound.
[/QUOTE]

If you specify a model number of your Smart Drive, may be somebody can help. All I see under Smart Drives is a portable hard drive, not a video capture device.
From what I see, your VideoSafe is a analogue to digital converter. Quick DVD is a DVD creation software, from the web page it is not very clear how it works. Is this your capture software?
VideoSafe list ProPix DVD as a capture software for that device.

Read these posts, it may help.

[QUOTE=Zippity;2190601]FWIW I use a TV capture card that I play my VHS through and save onto my HDD.

Then I use TMPGEnc DVD Author to remove all the ads and other programmes etc

Then I run DVD Shrink and burn onto DVD.

A very looooong and slooowow process, but well worth the effort in the end :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your help. I will go out and a buy a TV capture card, seems that will be easier than trying to get my current configuration to work.

Thanks again
Sincerely…

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2190735]If you specify a model number of your Smart Drive, may be somebody can help. All I see under Smart Drives is a portable hard drive, not a video capture device.
From what I see, your VideoSafe is a analogue to digital converter. Quick DVD is a DVD creation software, from the web page it is not very clear how it works. Is this your capture software?
VideoSafe list ProPix DVD as a capture software for that device.

Read these posts, it may help.

Thanks for your reply…I cannot find a model # (it does have a p/n# & an s/n# listed on the underside) for this smart disk…it was a hand-me-down and can’t be sure I got the correct software anyway so I think I’ll scrap it and buy a different video capture device.

I do appreciate u taking the time to help
Sincerely…