Very strange problem with LTR-40125S (?), need help

Hi,
I’ve got LTR-40125S (July 2002), I upgraded it using ZS0N, and it burned ok, no errors, no problems with reading, then I upgraded it using VS08, and some of cds I burned have got a lot of errors, so I went back to ZS0N, but now there is a lot of yellow sectors(damaged) in the middle of the cd, the begging and the end is green.
What happend ?
Has anyone had similiar problem ?
I burn on the same cds, manufacturer Mitsubishi Corp. and Taiyo Yuden.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks in advance.

I recently experienced a similar problem with a rebadged LTR-48125W. I initially blamed it on a bad flash, but when I checked the last couple of disks I burned prior to flashing it, I discovered they also had many yellow sectors in scandisc. My conclusion is that the drive was already failing. I don’t as a rule check every disk I burn. Only after making a firmware change, etc. Have you gone back and checked your most recent burns before you flashed to VS08?

The same conclusion as your, I’ve checked most of cds I burned, and some of them are even worst, some are quiet good.
It’s strange but here’s what I’m going to do.
The worst cds are 50&-70% yellow, but can be easily read by any cdrom, so I don’t worry and after let say a year I’ll make use of my guarantee, then there won’t be any ltr-40125S/W or ltr-48125S/W and they (shop) will have to give me the newest liteon rw drive.
What do u think ?

Sounds like a plan. . . that is if you can live with the drive malfunctioning that long. Remember, the quality of the discs you’re burning and have burned, are compromised. Personally, I couldn’t wait, and managed to exchange my drive within the 30 day period offered by the vendor. Here’s something to try if you haven’t already. . . back the burning speed down a notch, to say 32x. Then do a scandisk. Less or no errors, or still the same? It may take a bit longer, but in my opinion quality takes precedence over quantity. In my case, I was getting much better quality at 40x, but still. . . I bought a 48x drive, so I decided not to live with it the way it was. Not when I still had the option exchange it. If I didn’t, I’d have probably done what you proposed. Good luck.

I have similar problem too.

I used to check CD’s quality by running CDspeed’s transfer rate plus copy the entire content back to HD. That’s for my Old Sony948S SCSI burner.

After I starting testing them with CD quality from Nero CD Speed, I was shocked to see so many errors for my new liteon cd writer. I tried several different media, still - same thing. So this is NOT normal? I mean I can still read those CDs perfectly.

How do I convince the vendor the drive may be flawed hence can’t produce good quality CDs? The vendor will probably get away with it by saying the media you use are very good to start with.

I always burn using 16x or 24x :]
because I wanna quality, but these yellow sectors are bothering me, I dunno what to do, because cds can be read without problems,
heh I probably do what I said before, because now I even don’t have time and willingness to take it out from my comp, and go to the vendor.
If my burner piss me off, my cd reader won’t be able to read or will have problems then I’ll think what to do :wink:
But I think that there can be sth wrong with nero cd speed, is there any other not counting wses soft to check errors.
What do u think ?

Originally posted by lsdr
I always burn using 16x or 24x :]
because I wanna quality, but these yellow sectors are bothering me, I dunno what to do, because cds can be read without problems,
heh I probably do what I said before, because now I even don’t have time and willingness to take it out from my comp, and go to the vendor.
If my burner piss me off, my cd reader won’t be able to read or will have problems then I’ll think what to do :wink:
But I think that there can be sth wrong with nero cd speed, is there any other not counting wses soft to check errors.
What do u think ?

Yes, I too would be concerned about the yellow sectors on the disc. Yellow sectors can effect audio quality in playback because your CD player is using jitter correction.

also, you said you burn at 16x or 24x. Just for fun, try the top speed. I have read that liteon drives are optimized for their highest speed.

I tried all different speeds and firmwares…
all the same :frowning:

try the media included with the drive and if that has the same problem, I would begin to think that you have a defective drive. also, if you have another available, try switching the IDE cable for a new/different one. I know it’s extremely unlikely, but it’s worth a shot. I have seen stranger things work.