Very strange issue with KProbe

I’m not able to run KProbe anymore! :eek: :eek:
It won’t detect any of my players/burners! I tried reinstalling it but it won’t change anything!
I attach a screenshot…as you can see no drive is recognized (in their place there are those numeric strings!).
Could it be an ASPI issue?

Hi,

Do you have an Nforce2 motherboard? Similar thing happened to me after installing the Nvidia IDE drivers.

Cheers,
Peter

Yes, I have a ABIT NF7-S (nForce2-400 chipset) and I have nVidia IDE drivers installed too.
The strange thing is that the first times I ran KProbe (immediately after the installation…I didn’t even restart) it went fine!
Do you suggest me to uninstall IDE drivers? How did you solve this?

Try uninstalling the drivers, and you will find out if thats the problem! You should uninstall all your nvidia drivers and if that doesn’t help u can always install them again!!!

Originally posted by anarki
The strange thing is that the first times I ran KProbe (immediately after the installation…I didn’t even restart) it went fine!

Ok, I’m pretty shure it’s the IDE drivers then. The reason K’s Probe worked after installation, was due to the fact that you didn’t restart Windows first.

You need to uninstall the Nvidia IDE drivers. Remember that the Nforce driver package has two different IDE drivers included. The first one is basically the Microsoft drivers with some registry settings to enable UDMA133 - these are the ones to use. The second one is a special Nvidia optimized version that should be less CPU intensive - however they are know to cause problems. Just like you experience now.

Cheers,
Peter

I looked in the install directory and I cant find these Microsoft drivers…

i also have this problem… how do i unstall teh nvidia drivers and go back to the ms ones?

Originally posted by Warzer
i also have this problem… how do i unstall teh nvidia drivers and go back to the ms ones?

If calling up the chipset driver installation program does not present you with an uninstall option, check if you have an entry in the Control Panel/Software with the name of your chipset manufacturer. Uninstall and Windows will pull up the M$ drivers.

Regards, Martin A

@Warzer: go to Control Panel -> add/remove software -> NVIDIA nForce Driver and uninstall them.
IIRC, NVIDIA nForce Driver setup would let you choose the components to install…so once you uninstalled the drivers, reboot the pc and install them again, but this time without IDE driver: otherwise you could have no audio/system performance lowed/etc…