Very slow recording when using 2 burners simultaneously

Hi all,

This is my first post in those forums. I’m a spanish guy who have a problem. I have not been able to solve it by myself, posting on my usual spanish hardware forums or deep searching google.

I’m sorry if my expression is not as good as it should be, but english is not my first language and I have only a medium level.

Which no more introductions, I tell my problem to all you:

More than one year ago I bought two identical benq dvd writers, in order to be able to write 2 DVDs at the time (2 identical DVD, the same image/content).

Then I found that writing with one writer was perfect, taking around 9 minutes at 8x and 6 at 16x (normal times).

The problem was when I selectec in nero the option “write with multiple recorders” and tried to make 2 copies of the same compilation/image. Then, the speed recording fall down to 2-3x even when I setted the writing speed at 8 or 16x.

Recording time went up to more than 20 minutes, making in this way stupid the fact of writing with que 2 writers (it takes more than double time). I noticed it happened with nero and alcohol 120.

After many test and headaches I found a solution: Formatting and reinstalling windows AND, and this was the key, not to install IDE drivers for my board (nvidia nforce 4 chipset).

So, I thougth I had found the source of the problem, and writing with 2 writers went perfect and fast at 8 or 16x.

It happened over one year ago.

Last week, I decided I had to format my drives and write everything on DVD. I found that for dual burnings (normal burnings with one writer was perfectly) the speed was ok, but using nero, at the end of the write nero hangs and the 2 dvd have to go directly to the recycle bin (the real, not the windows one :P). In the other hand, alcohol works perfectly with dual writings, so i used it for this task.

Today, I have format and reinstall windows (2 times, not one) and again, nero and alcohol falls to 2x - 3x when using the 2 toasters at time, and this time I have not install nvidia IDE drivers, so I’m desolated becouse I don’t know the real source of the problem :frowning:

My computer is:

X2 3800+ @ 2,66 ghz
2gb ram DDR1 533 (2x1gb)
2xWD SATA2 16mb cache in raid 0 (2x250gb)
1xWS SATA1 8mb cache (200 Gb)
Mainboard: DFI Lanparty SLI-DR nvidia nforce 4 chipset
2xBenq DVD writers 16x DD DW1640 Connected one to primary IDE and other to secondary IDE (both as masters).
Windows XP SP2

Things I think can be discarted:

-Overclocking: I’ve write correctly with overclock, so it don’t seems to be cause.
-Writers firmware: I upgraded both writers to last version when bought them and found the problem. In addiction, I tried 2 LG writers obtaining the same speed problem when using 2 ones at same time.
-Media: I use verbatim DVDs. I insist when using only one writers goes perfect, and more important, I’ve write them ok yesterday with alcohol before formatting.

So, it’s the problem, i thank everyone for taking time to read and i keep the hope to find the real source of the problem.

Thank you

Welcome to the board!

To be honest I’ve never tried this before since I’ve never had 2 DVD-RW-s at the same time, but I’ve found some information on this board that might be helpful to you or might explain things.

I’ve found that if you use the same image /which would mean the HD is the same too from where you burn the disc/ then the burn speed should be limited to the lowest minimum speed of the drive. Though if you write different stuff at the same time then this won’t be true /I’m guessing since the data drive 1 is writing in this second is not accessable for drive 2 yet only 1 second later since it’s being used at the moment. While with different data this is not true 'cause only 1 drive uses each data./

BTW this is the thread about it:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=137918

The question is that I’ve write with the 2 toasters at 16x and get 2 identical dvd’s every 6 minutes…

It’s a software/drivers/something like this/ problem, but I don’t know what it is :frowning:

Anyone can help me?

You said you make 2 identical discs at the same time with 2 toasters. That mean you use the same source twice at the same time a.k.a slow burn is okay. You won’t have this problem is the discs are not identical. This is not a driver nor a software problem.

The question is that I’ve write with the 2 toasters at 16x and get 2 identical dvd’s every 6 minutes…

Didn’t you say you get the 2 identical disc after 20 minutes? 6 minutes for 2 disc being burn at the same time is not slow at all.

Recording time went up to more than 20 minutes, making in this way stupid the fact of writing with que 2 writers (it takes more than double time). I noticed it happened with nero and alcohol 120.

Perhaps I have express myselt incorrectly.

What I wanted to say is that NOW it take 20 minutes in write 2 disks at 8x or 16x, which is an abnormal time (too much time, it writes really at 3x).

But before, in a determined time when I brought the writers, one year ago, and one week ago BEFORE i formatted my Windows XP, it takes 6 minutes at 16x (dual writing).

So, the question is that the system is capable of doing it, but there is some software problem that appears apparently randomly (apparently, althought there’s have to be a reason, and this reason is what I want to find). This problem make the dual writing un-efficient, and is happening now.

Time ago i thought the ploblem was caused by nvidia ide drivers, but now, the problem is present without installing nvidia ide drivers.

Thank you

All I can say is that this is not a problem this is normal. If you could burn 2 identical discs with 2 toasters at the same at 16x before, well good for you but don’t think that it’s normal. And no you are not really writing a 8x or 16x if it takes 20minutes. That’s what I’m saying, your actually writing at the lowest minimum writing speed of your driver /say probably it’s 3x or 4x/. If it changes based on Windows install maybe you install Windows again and start with seeing if you can burn 2 identical discs at the same time at 16x and if not then reinstall /silly method but it seems to work if at one install it works then at a different one it doesn’t, or you can try reinstalling Nero/Alcohol 120% until it works, or try RecordNow MAX but neither will gurantee that you WILL be able to make 2 identical discs at the same time at 16x/.

But if you do not belive me or think someone else might help you only they do not read this thread then go and write in that other thread I gave you before /actually that’s where you should have originally posted your question since that thread is about burning 2 discs with 2 toasters at the same time, whether it’s identical or not/. So please post there.

BTW next time maybe you should try looking for an answer on this forum since I belive you could have found that thread too!

:iagree: :iagree:

TassadarAMD

The reason you are getting such slow burns is because you are trying to do two burns at the same time using the same computer and the same file that you are burning from.

I have never even considered trying to do that. My main computer (shown below) is powerful enough to burn two disc’s at the same time but, since a single burn requires so much system resoruces it’s just something I want do. To get around the problem you need two computers with the files that you want to burn on each.

I am running three computers. My main computer is listed below, and of the other two others. I burn with two computers; and the third computer is used to create DVD labels using a Epson R340 Direct to CD/DVD Printer.

Eric

I repeat: I have write at 16x with this method and get 2 DVD every 6 minutes, so it’s not impossible at all at hardware level.

The question is that NOW, since the last time I formatted and reinstall windows it takes 20 minutes instead of 6.

According to it I’m sure It’s some software or windows configuration that is making the recording work in a different way and as result it goes too slow.

I’ve read it somewhere that older discs burn at 4x and newer will 16x if you make identical discs at the same time wit 2 toasters. But noone really can tell you which disc will actually burn at 16x and which one will at 4x. So if you can burn at 16x then maybe you should check the brand of the disc and stick to that one /also cinsider yourself lucky since you could do that/. If you only can get a disc that will be burned at 4x when you make 2 identical discs at the same time then think of it that this is normal and try another brand next time.

I repeat: I have write at 16x with this method and get 2 DVD every 6 minutes, so it’s not impossible at all at hardware level.

The question is that NOW, since the last time I formatted and reinstall windows it takes 20 minutes instead of 6.

According to it I’m sure It’s some software or windows configuration that is making the recording work in a different way and as result it goes too slow.

And that’s why I said keep reinstalling Windows untill it will work again or keep reinstalling Nero/Alsohol 120% untill it works again. But most likely this won’t solve anything eventhough you can try it and might succeed.

I have no idea what a toaster is…do you mean coaster?

Have you checked to see if your drives are running in UDMA mode?

I take it you [B]did not[/B] switch the drives around since you formated and when it was working fine?

When I said toaster I was talking about “DVD Writer” :stuck_out_tongue: .

It’s very stranger because I wrote correctly verbatim 16x disks from 1 spindle, and after formatting the same disks from this spindle are the ones that are written every 20 mins.

Thanks 2 all u for your interest :slight_smile:

I’ve try to open 2 instances of alcohol and write a different image on each writer, the result is the same or even slower.

I’ve format again and install an original Windows XP Pro instead the Tunned/modified XP I was using. The result is now just the same :(. Really stranger.

I’m going to try upgrading again the firmware if avaiable. I’m getting out of ideas :frowning:

You said /if I’ve understood it well/ that you are using rewriteable discs and that when you first burned them it was 16x and the very next time 4x. Right?

If so I was wondering if it’s getting slower because it’s not the first burn to them a.k.a they are old discs/though this might just not sound logical to anybody but I’m still thinking that someone said he burned 2 old discs at 4x and 2 new at 16x and that never got explained why/.

Hi Taru!

Thanks for your interest.

No, I’m not using rewritable media in any moment. the disks are verbatim 16x DVD-R 4,7gb.

The summary is:
-2 identical dvd writers configured as primary master and secundary master.
-When using 1 writer, disks are written perfectly at 16x taking 6 minutes to complete the recording.
-When using 2 writers, it doesn’t mind the write speed selected (8x, 12x or 16), the write takes about 20 minutes and has an effective/real write speed of 3-4x.
-Before, sometimes, in other windows XP installation, the write with the 2 dvd writers took 6 minutes at 16x.

So, there is a software problem that I entirely unknow that is making the “dual-writing” be very slow.

Can be a hardware limitation? No, becouse other times it has perfectly work.

greetings

I’ve just upgrade firmware on both writers with no result, problem persists :frowning:

What a s**t! :a

Seems you have a bottle neck somewhere. You did check UDMA i take it?

Do you have a high wattage/healthy power supply? Two drives at the same time are really sucking some power.

I have seen people have problems from just doing a format and OS installation before. I do not recall what the end result was though.

Is there anyway to hook both drives up in a friends pc and try it?

A friend of mine burns 2 at a time but only burns at 8X when he does. He uses two different burners (BenQ 822 and BenQ 1650) so same burners shouldn’t matter.

Both writers are configured as ATA33, so it’s not the problem.

My PSU is a be 450w Be quiet

This afternoon I have replace one of the benqs with a LG 16x, so i have use a benq and a LG, result: The same.

I’m thinking about cutting my veins :frowning:

hehehe