Very slow on the fly Cd burning

vbimport

I just installed a Lite-On 52x24x52 cd-rw on my old computer using win 98, celeron 333 mgz, 256 mb RAM. It is on the secondary IDE as the master. My old Goldstar DC-Rom (32x) is the slave on the primary IDE. I checked and DMA is enabled for both drives in the Device Manager. I have used different brand CD-Rs. When I burn on the fly it takes about an hour for a typical audio CD. But it does a successfull burn. Most of the time the Lite-On is just waiting to write. I am using Nero which came with the drive. Help.

Originally posted by SJS
I just installed a Lite-On 52x24x52 cd-rw on my old computer using win 98, celeron 333 mgz, 256 mb RAM. It is on the secondary IDE as the master. My old Goldstar DC-Rom (32x) is the slave on the primary IDE.
Well, it should have worked OK according to the drive’s system requirement.

a. Have you ever tried copying image to the HD and then burning it ? How does it work this way ?
b. When did you do the HD defragmentation last time ?

Yes defragment your harddisk and keep a little free space on it (in case it’s muffled with data ;)).

Try it with a data disc. Your old CD drive is just not up to the task for audio ripping, and maybe not for data either. I’m guessing that the buffers are emptying and filling all through the burn. To be sure about the old drive, take the disc to be copied and use the old drive to run the transfer rate test in CDSpeed, that’ll show you what it can and cannot do.

A 333mh celeron and an old cd rom means your rig is certainly no drag racer. I seriously doubt that you’d be able to burn at any kind of decent speed on-the-fly.

I suspect that with your system you’ll be able to do your copying faster (and with better results) by both reading and writing with your burner.

I think you are right in that my old Cd-rom is just not up to the task. I have burned audio CDs first to my HD (read from the new Lite-On drive) and it has taken less than seven minutes at 12x write speed. When I did a transfer rate test on the old Cd-rom, I have up after 15 minutes when the test was only 10% completed. The chart showed a transfer rate in the low singe digits. Guess I should buy a new CD-Rom that can perform with the Lite-On CD-RW. Thanks for your comments. Any Cd-Rom purchase suggestions?

12x write speed

That drive will burn very well, probably better quality, at 32x-40x than at 12x with appropriate media.

Cd-Rom purchase suggestions

Since CD-ROM is a dead technology, why not get another burner, or a DVD-ROM drive? The DVD will have limited value for watching movies due to your 333 Celeron. Look around for a older 40x Liteon burner, cost will be similar to a CD-ROM.

HERE’S one. Although you can often get a 48x or 52x for the same price with rebate(s).

Originally posted by SJS
Any Cd-Rom purchase suggestions?

@ Bargian Basement you can always find stuff like this :

52x24x52 digital research cdrw 20.00 after rebates

Verbatim (possible lite-on) 52x24x52 cdrw 19.99

Free AR ! Start on Sunday, 4th of May @ OfficeMax :

Well, actually it’s tax (where applicable) + $.37 (stamp) + time. Damn, that thing would be excellent for non-pirating… errr, I meant backup tasks.

Originally posted by Stoner
Well, actually it’s tax (where applicable) + $.37 (stamp) + time.
Yeah, but I mean it’s a damn good substitute for an old Goldstar CD-Rom (32x).
Besides, for this kind of money it’s worth waiting a couple of days to have it delivered to you.
Let’s say it ends up in totally $20 or less. What ?! I used to buy a CD for that price. :wink: