Very slow CD/DVD RW speeds - HP1270d

vbimport

Hey!

I’ve got listed on my PC a HP1270d CD/DVD RW.
All of a sudden the drive seems to have slowed down significantly from the day I bought it.
I had to do a reformat and install a week or so ago and suspect there could be a firmware problem.
Its just taking soooo long to burn a DVD.

Does anyone know where I can get an update from. After searching it seems apparent its a HP branded LightOn drive is that correct? Specificly a iHAS224 from this thread --> http://club.myce.com/f44/hp-dvd-1270d-279197/

If so does anyone know where I can get the latest firmware for that? I don’t want to update it without some other input, as I don’t want to ruin the device!

Thanks!

Check the DMA settings or replace the ide cable… or does it have SATA?

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

I have checked and the drive is running with DMA settings.
The drive is SATA. I have checked inside the case - a little dusty but nothing extreme. I have double checked the connection to and that’s ok.

OK, DMA isnt that important with a sata drive.

What controller is it connected to and what is the BIOS setting for that controller?

Seems like a fairly locked down BIOS so I have got all I can find.

The drive is on ATA Channel 1 and the BIOS states its SATAII_2

Basic settings are then listed with only a couple of editable options:

[ul]
[li][B]ATAPI CDROM
[/li][li]HP DVD Writer 1270d
[/li][li]LBA Supported
[/li][li]PIO MODE 4
[/li][li]ASYNC DMA MultiWord DMA2
[/li][li]ULTRA DMA UltraDMA5[/B]
[/li][/ul]

The only areas I can alter are the two options below:
[B]PIO MODE[/B] Set at [B]Auto[/B]. Can be changed to 0-4
[B]DMA MODE[/B] Set at [B]Auto[/B]. Can be changed to:

[ul]
[li]SWDMA 0 to 2
[/li][li]MWDMA 0 to 2
[/li][li]UDMA 0 to 5
[/li][/ul]

That is all the information the BIOS offers on the drive it seems :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=chef;2552539]OK, DMA isnt that important with a sata drive.[/quote]I beg to differ. If the Sata controller is running in IDE mode (Bios option), then all DMA stuff is applicable.

@rev_ollie:
Please check DMA again (in Windows) and report back the current transfer mode.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the slow reply, was away on a trip.

I can confirm that the drive is running in DMA mode - Ultra DMA mode 5 to be exact.

I tried re installing it (unplugging the drive - booting up - shutting down - plugging in again) but no luck getting it to reinstall. Double checked the BIOS to and there isnt anything to suggest PIO mode has been set or any reason for the speed.

Just went to write a disk and it starts off quite well and then over a period of to seconds it can go from writing 600KB/Second to now burning at 251KB/Second. Really don’t understand. Seems to be sticking almost, so it now says its going to take 40 minutes to burn 700MB

[QUOTE=mciahel;2552661]I beg to differ. [B]If[/B] the Sata controller is running in IDE mode (Bios option), then all DMA stuff is applicable.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Correct, but that wasnt clear yet. :wink:

QUOTE=rev_ollie;2555463 Really don’t understand. Seems to be sticking almost, so it now says its going to take 40 minutes to burn 700MB[/QUOTE]Please check if your HDD is running in DMA mode, too.
Additionally, get the diagnostic tools from the HDD manufacturer to check the “fitness” of your HDD.

Michael

Ok,

I’ve done a few tests on the drive - Windows based, Software based and via the WD boot disk, all come back fully clean.
I have double checked the DMA settings on both drives again - both in DMA - hard drive is using Ultra DMA mode 6

Is there anything else to try, because I’m stumped! Surely shouldn’t happen to a 6 month old drive!

Out of ideas at the moment.
You might check the Event Log if there are errors shown, which could be assigned to that problem.

Michael

Ok thanks anyway.

I’ve swapped the SATA channel its plugged into at the moment and its recognised the drive and installed the correct firmware so we shall see what happens.
It says its burning at 501KB now and is going to take 13 minutes which is better than before but it doesn’t seem to be going much faster. If this fails then I think I will find an alternative burning program and see if that changes things, because I’m beginning to suspect windows isn’t reporting quite what is happening.

Thanks again

For software, try ImgBurn. :slight_smile:
Especially since it creates logfiles that may be useful for troubleshooting.

Michael

Well all I can say is it was Windows.
Imgburn and Nero burned at 3500kb!
So yeah windows was causing all the problems. Slightly happier now!

Thanks again!