Very slow backup for AppleTV mode

Does the following sound right?

When I backup using the following settings, a backup normally takes around 1.2 hours.
iPod mode: 1pass, Fixed bitrate: 1500, 29.97fps, Audio kbps:128, valume 200%, frame res: 640x352

BUT, when I switch to Generic mode using the following settings, a backup now takes up to 4 hours. Is that normal?

Generic mode: Appletv, 1pass, Fixed bitrate: 1500, 29.97fps, Audio kbps:128, valume 200%, frame res: 768x432

For the most part, the setting are the same. What makes the generic mode appletv so much slower?

Duane

Only an hypothesis (actually I’m not sure at all that is the correct answer), but the higher resolution requires a higher amount of calculations, and this could explain the higher encoding time.

It could be the resolution change, but a 400% increase in time?? I use to use the 2 pass mode, but in that mode my poor little laptop would still be ripping when I got up to go to work the next morning.

Also, as would be expected, if you backup in AppleTV mode, the movies will not sync with your ipod, but if you backup in iPod mode they do.

dj

Hi LunaSea,

I think the difference is caused by video encoding mode, one is MPEG4 and another is H264.

H264 eats much more CPU power, so it takes longer time to finish the job.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

That makes sense. So that begs the question is H264 a better encoding mode to use? Or is mpeg4 just as good. I want to use which ever produces the best quality. Also, DVDFab has more resolution options when using the H264 encoding.