Very high core voltage with A7V333 and 2100XP

Hi guys, maybe you can help me out here a bit cauze it seems i’m out of my league

I bought a brand new mobo (asus A7V333) and cpu (Athlon XP 2100) yesterday, and still i am trying to get it to run…

Thing is, i havent got past the fisrt screen yet, hardware monitor comes up with an error: the core voltage is 2.2v (instead of 1.75v which the normal right?) and the cpu temp goes in a few mins from 50 to 75deg (that’s when i shut it down …)

I have set all jumpers to default which enables the bios to set the core voltage. Setting the voltage to lower levels from the bios does not work, as it remains high and stable (aka 2.2v and all in red)

Setting the jumpers manually to lower voltage levels (bios independent) does not have any effect as the voltage remains high.

I have updated the bios version to the latest to no avail.

It is the first time i m setting an amd system, hope you have some suggestions

On page 22 of the manual, at 6) Voltage Regulator Output Limit (3 Pin VID), is the motherboard jumper set to jumpers 1 & 2? This should limit the VID core voltage to the default output, no matter what other settings are used.

If you have already done this and are still getting the overvoltage condition, it would seem that you probably have a defective motherboard.

Yeh i have tried that already Inertia thanx :wink:
I tried all different settings of these jumpers but still the core voltage remains steady at 2,2v.

There’s also another jumper enabled which should not permit overvoltage even i wanted to, so i guess it is a defective motherboard.

Just returned from the store i bought it from, i tried 3 different cpus and all were overvoltaged = defective mobo right?

So now i am waiting for a replacement.

Sounds like it’s defective to me.

Talking to a friend the other day who won’t stock these boards anymore as he was getting an 80% failure rate!!! That’s right, 8 out of every 10 boards he sold were being returned!!!

Must admit I’ve never had a single problem with mine though and have found it to be a great board.

Got a replacement this afternoon guys. It turned out to be a defective board, since the new one works like a charm :slight_smile:
The salesman has also given me a 2200XP instead of the 2100XP i had payed for as a gift fot the inconvenience he has cauzed :smiley:

After a lot of problems i finally got WinXP to recognise the raid controller. I am a happy man. All drives are now mounted everything is recognised (besides my HP2300C scanner :frowning: ).

Any ideas on how i can OC this beatiful thingy? How far do you thing it can get? (with no additional coolers etc added)

Current monitoring values:

CPU 50c
MB 40c
CPU Fan 4560
VCore 1,74v
+12 12,256v
+5 4,945v
+3,3 3,28v

Not much experience with CPU OCing though. I would be pleased if i could get it up to 2600+ perfomance (the 2200XP+ runs @ 1800). Would i need to mess with the fsb? Wouldn’t that affect other devices?

The XP2200 is one of the fastest PC processors in the world. Personally, I wouldn’t fool around with overclocking it. It’s fast enough to handle anything you can throw at it, and it would be sensible to leave it understressed as is.:wink:

Truth is i am no OC Freak (:bigsmile: ) and will probably leave it as is …

Although getting to run @ 2900 as AlexNoe does is kind of appealing (getting jelous now :bigsmile: )

If i would try to OC it, what’s the safest max i could raise the fsb to?

The “safest” overclocking max (I assume you mean stable) will vary by each system & components (RAM, CPU, etc.). You would have to test your own setup to see at what point it became unstable.

If you are interested in someone else’s experience, see Asus A7V333 Overclocking.

Interesting staff, thanx Inertia :slight_smile:
I guess i have to do a lot of reading if i wanna OC without burning something out :wink:

I have another prob right now though - i seem to be getting very low write index/perfomance with my raid controller. Sisoft Sandra suggested i should disable “write verify” and enable the write cache - but didn’t point out where i could find these settings. Any ideas?

Although Sisoft Sandra is a good program, it may not be the best and most accurate choice for testing RAID drives. ATTO is the software that always comes up for testing RAID drives.

Have you installed the RAID drivers? What RAID configuration are you using? RAID 0 is the performance setting.

What drives are you using. They should be identical and both set as master (for 2 drives) on the RAID controller.

Which one? Visited the ATTO page but they have 3 utilities which are for specific Atto products.

Yep i have installed the raid controller while i was installing WinXP on them (went through hell to do so but i finally got it working). Read perfomance is ok, i have double checked it with perfomance test also. Write spead is auful though (around 6mb/sec).

I am using two hdd with 40gb capacity, a fujitsu at 5400 and a WD at 7200 both set as masters each one at its one cable. I know that both disks now run @5400 but this shouldnt be the problem.

There is no asus utility available that allows me to configure the raid controller, while the raid controller properties at system devices tell me nothing else than the driver version.

I’m not sure how to get the ATTO RAID benchmarking utility as I’ve not used it. Information on the benchmarking utility is covered on page 24 in the ATTO ExpressRAID Manual.

In my opinion, you’re wasting your time trying to make a successful RAID configuration with hard drives from different manufacturers with totally dissimilar characteristics. They will not both operate at 5400 RPM, as hard drives are not variable speed devices. They are operating at two different speeds, and the faster drive will have to wait for the slower drive. This is probably one of the worst possible combinations, and one that should be totally avoided. Benchmarking is not going to help.

If you want to use RAID, you should use identical discs as the manufacturer intended and stipulates in their instructions.

If you want to download the ATTO Disc Benchmark Utility, you can get it at the ATTO site under Downloads | Applications/Tools/Utilities | ATTO ExpressPCI HostAdapter Utilities | Windows SCSI Utilities Version 1.63 . This will download the ept163.exe file.

If you install this file the benchmarking utility is included. I installed it and deleted the WinNT and SCSI parts from the install directory, leaving just the bench32.* files. :wink:

Thanx Inertia i have downloaded the proggie yesterday. I am having major problems though and i don’t know why :confused:

I get decent sequential read times (55mb/sec) while the write times kind of suck (15mb/sec). Appart from that though, i seem to have major problems with my burners. The 4012A is stuck to pio mode and i cant seem to get to run to UDMA whatever i do. Plus, all disks i write (tried different media) both with the 4012A and the 485CTE (mitsumi) turns out to be a coaster as it contains more than 60% unreadable sectors. Could that be related to the raid controller spead issue?

I have installed 4in1 drivers, updated bios, firmwares and raid controller drivers. Aargghh :frowning:

I think i should have sticked to intel :rolleyes:

Might be a stupid question, but is the CDRW set as master? :slight_smile:

Yep it is, altough it wouldn’t matter if it were slave too, dma state doesn’t depend on this.

I got the plexie to run in udma2 mode, after i unistalled the ide controller 12 continuous times from system devices!!. Now i can finally move on to fix the unreadable coaster thingy and the raid speed … i am getting too old for this :rolleyes: