Very big problem over here

vbimport

Hi,

Just installed avast free 2015, but it started giving me so much troubles that i decided to uninstall it. But to my horror I discovered that I cannot uninstall it the normal way, but with yet another software, and restarting in safe mode, etc… which I am not ready to do.

Is there a normal way to get rid of it?

Hi again,

Just managed to stop an avast running process at System Configuration/services which prevented the normal delete of the program at the control panel, by which now I succeeded in deleting this naughty avast.

Just can’t understand this. Avast would have forced me to download yet another program and perform risky operations in order to get rid of it. It is an incredibly aggressive software! Never again!

And since the moment I gave my email address to avast in order to register, I could log in no more. Not even now! I just don’t know what happened to my address. And now that I have got rid of it, I can download stuff normally again. For before I couldn’t.

:eek::eek::eek:

[QUOTE=Ujan;2743388]Hi again,

Just managed to stop an avast running process at System Configuration/services which prevented the normal delete of the program at the control panel, by which now I succeeded in deleting this naughty avast.

Just can’t understand this. Avast would have forced me to download yet another program and perform risky operations in order to get rid of it. It is an incredibly aggressive software! Never again!

And since the moment I gave my email address to avast in order to register, I could log in no more. Not even now! I just don’t know what happened to my address. And now that I have got rid of it, I can download stuff normally again. For before I couldn’t.

:eek::eek::eek:[/QUOTE]

[ol]
[li]Download avastclear.exe on your desktop[/li][li]Start Windows in Safe Mode[/li][li]Open (execute) the uninstall utility[/li][li]If you installed Avast in a different folder than the default, browse for it. ([B]Note:[/B] Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)[/li][li]Click REMOVE[/li][li]Restart your computer[/li][/ol]Enjoy.

Well I got rid of that damned Avast after all, and not with avastclear, but by stopping avast’s running service at system configuration/services, which prevented the usual uninstall of the software at control panel/programs. Quite funny that this truly easy method is not mentioned at avast’s homepage.

No more risks: malwarebytes (+ chameleon), spybot and sophos. And MSE for a real-time guard, even if it is not the best one available.

[QUOTE=Ujan;2743415]Well I got rid of that damned Avast after all, and not with avastclear, but by stopping avast’s running service at system configuration/services, which prevented the usual uninstall of the software at control panel/programs. Quite funny that this truly easy method is not mentioned at avast’s homepage.[/QUOTE]

While this obviously worked for you,I doubt that every Avast trace dissapeared of your computer…:slight_smile:
Almost every antivirus has such a specialized uninstall tool ,these cleaners clean also registry and file/folders leftovers…sometimes,such leftovers interfere with other or new installed security programs…

well no problems so far with what I installed so far, but I remain vigilant… anyway thanks for the tip!

[QUOTE=Ujan;2743418]well no problems so far with what I installed so far, but I remain vigilant… anyway thanks for the tip![/QUOTE]

YW…:slight_smile:
FYI,lots of malware can be blocked by good browser protection,because more and more exploits try to find their way to your system that way,instead of by downloaded malware.
Check out the free versions of SandBoxie,MalwareBytes AntiExploit and HitmanPro (Alert)…these 3 can already harden your browser’s security to prevent a lot of malware,but of course their functionality is somewhat limited compared to their paid versions…:wink:

I see… well it’s 2 and a half years since I work with this laptop, have been in lots of places abroad and have been connected to many LANs in apartments and hotels, but no serious issues so far…

well I searched for Control Panel/Folder Options, ticked “show hidden files and folders” and non-ticked “hide protected operating system files (recommended)”, then I checked program files and documents & settings, but nothing suspicious…

Update: no, wait! found something in ProgramData!

So happy to have found this forum… learning more in some days than the previous years spent without knowing it!

I have Avast Free 2015 & it works well for me.
I did a custom install though & only installed what I wanted.
As much as that’s possible .

I also have some browser protectors as roadworker suggested.
I won’t say I always use them but I do when I think it necessary.
Those would be Shadow Defender on a couple of OS’s & Sandboxie free on my laptop .

I also use a host file & Spybot S&D .

MalwareBytes AntiExploit & MalwareBytes Anti Malware .

CryptoPrevent too . It can be a pain in the ass sometimes. I occasionally have to use the “Undo” function to install some software .
Then reapply .

[QUOTE=roadworker;2743416]While this obviously worked for you,I doubt that every Avast trace dissapeared of your computer…:slight_smile:
Almost every antivirus has such a specialized uninstall tool ,these cleaners clean also registry and file/folders leftovers…sometimes,such leftovers interfere with other or new installed security programs…[/QUOTE]

I second this point. I’d recommend downloading a free or trial verson of Revo Uninstaller. It has uninstalled pretty much everything I’ve had problems uninstalling, including some really irritating Chinese programs that refused to uninstall the normal ways.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2743552]I second this point. I’d recommend downloading a free or trial verson of Revo Uninstaller. It has uninstalled pretty much everything I’ve had problems uninstalling, including some really irritating Chinese programs that refused to uninstall the normal ways.[/QUOTE]
That’s a true complete uninstall. I agree. Although I might have tried AsastClear first, since that was what the program was made to do.:iagree:

I second this point. I’d recommend downloading a free or trial verson of Revo Uninstaller. It has uninstalled pretty much everything I’ve had problems uninstalling, including some really irritating Chinese programs that refused to uninstall the normal ways.

Again, loads of thanks for the tip :slight_smile: Today I downloaded avastclear and was going to ask if it is still worth executing it in safe mode to get rid of what remains of avast, but I can try this. Do I still need to switch to safe mode with revo???

Today I run MSE, malwarebytes, spybot and Avira EU-Cleaner, and no software conflict arised, but I must admit that some odd things have been happening… not of that sort which cause malfunctions or system crashes, but just “odd” ones like “phantom” folders appearing years after I deleted them, and the paint.net icon appearing on safe mode… that is not quite usual I guess…

Typing “avast”, but nothing appears: http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141219/zany57v2.jpg

How should the remnants of avast be searched for? Junk files cleaner might help in deleting the leftovers of avast?

BTW I tried to use killbox to wipe out it, but it did not work…

Update: this is all junk left. No traces of avast… http://fs2.directupload.net/images/141219/4wq4sllz.jpg

If the ‘force uninstall’ option didn’t reveal anything,you can try JV16 PowerTools to find leftovers in the registry…it’s a d*mn good system utility,but be careful with this 1,check thoroughly WHAT you select to remove…:wink:

Edit : perhaps the fanfish25.scr is a legit screensaver which you installed yourself,but it’s name is also abused for malware distribution…

And what about CC Cleaner? And RegCleaner?

Ccleaner is a fine tool,no doubt…but for specific tasks,I prefer manual searching and cleaning…
Can’t comment on RegCleaner,as I’ve never used it…

Downloaded RegCleaner, and with its help I found some leftovers: an avast browser cleaner was still there. RegCleaner looks pretty good: http://www.chip.de/downloads/RegCleaner_12991462.html

But still found this seemingly dead and worrying avastui.exe at the taskbar customizer: http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141219/vfyi7gz3.jpg

[QUOTE=Ujan;2743581]But still found this seemingly dead and worrying avastui.exe at the taskbar customizer: http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141219/vfyi7gz3.jpg[/QUOTE]

That’s harmless…it’s just the icon cache from your systray apps…
But if you really wanna get rid of it,you can try ASKVG’S TIP

That’s harmless…it’s just the icon cache from your systray apps…
But if you really wanna get rid of it,you can try ASKVG’S TIP …

Very interesting, thx! But windows informs me that the system may become unstable… http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141220/u8jaxb6o.jpg

Is there any danger of that in case of deleting these binary values? the tutorial does not mention this warning.