Very bad scans with MCC02RG20

vbimport

Me and two of my friends each bought a pack of these:

100st Mitsubishi Full-face printable 8x DVD-R

and all of them (I tried maybe about 20 or so), taken från each spindle and from various parts in the spindles) and all burns end up like this. Any ideas, all three spindle or from a bad batch? My previous burns with Fujifilm03 dye has been good.

Sorry about your issue. :frowning:
My best bet would be these are fakes MCC discs. Under what brand were they sold? Where did you buy them?
It could also be that your burner is showing signs of failure, unless you noticed that different discs still burn fine…?
Also: at what speed did you burn these? NEC drives often allow overspeeding, and MCC20RG20 is not known for its high-speed tolerance…

The discs were burned with latest Nero 7.0.5.5 and ImgBurn 1.3.0.0 at 8X. Also every driver and firmware in the computer is up to date. Everything is tiptop and the hdd is also new with fresh installation. Also tried 4X and 12X with similar results. Mostly it gets all red at the end of the disc but sometimes also in the beginning or middle.

I bought them here and they are supposed to be Mitsubishi branded:
http://www.discsonline.dk/shop/productinfo.asp?id=435

I have used Mitsubishi MCC20RG20 before with great results, but these are the first full face printable ones. Other media that has been used with great success are Fujifilm 8X (Fujifilm03 dye). The burner is almost brand new, a NEC 4551A with official 1.08 firmware. I also tried putting my old Pioneer DVR-106 back to test with these discs and the result was the same. I can draw no other conclusion that we have bought 300 of these discs that are from a bad batch?

I moved the posts to a new thread so you can get more help. :wink:

Grr. Their lame site checks the referer. Never heard of marketing studies, discsonline.dk?

Check for a code starting with ZD in the hub area. For my MII by MBI Verbatim 16x DVD+R, it’s ZD3121-DVR-T47D.

Also, by looking at the inner hub, you can tell whether it was manufactured by CMC, Prodisc or MBI.
(The Prodisc codes have a dash in the code, the CMC codes start with three letters like PAP, PAH, MOP, and the MBI ones have a code like 5250 529 +R E F 06202.)

I guess you either bought factory rejects or fakes. If the discs do not feature the ZD code and/or the manufacturers codes, then it’s most likely fake. Fakes are made by the usual suspects which also make TY code fakes, such as Infosmart of Hong Kong. Gee, I guess it’s time to start a “The MCC/Verbatim FAQ” thread :wink:

[B]Inner hub[/B]: DVD-R M-805

Then there are lots of numbers printed just “around the middle hole” ( excuse my english :bigsmile: ) :

U284 03 060520 141529 513763DVD-R 130 180330

I am not sure I got all those numbers exact, some of them are very hard to see.

[B]Additional info from cd/dvd speed[/B]:

Pre-recorded Information in Lead-in (0Eh)
0000 - 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 85 0D 10 88 9A 80 00 - .@…R…
0010 - 03 4D 43 43 20 30 32 00 04 52 47 32 30 20 20 00 - .MCC.02…RG20…
0020 - 05 88 80 00 00 00 02 00 5C 79 05 00 79 86 41 77 - …\y…y.Aw
0030 - 04 00 00 00 54 79 05 00 00 C0 D4 77 00 80 00 00 - …Ty…w…
0040 - 74 79 05 00 99 37 41 77 00 80 00 00 12 05 27 00 - ty…7Aw…’.
0050 - FC FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 A0 79 05 00 00 00 16 00 - …y…
0060 - 32 07 91 7C 0B 00 00 00 98 08 16 00 00 00 16 00 - 2…|…

By the way, I have tried to RMA these discs, but their answer is yet to come… it’s been a few days now. There is no physical store, but the discs are shipped from Germany I think.

Hmm, seems like I have made some mistakes. I had accidently put some discs on top of the other spindles because now one of these three spindles offers excellent burns. The two other spindels however keep giving this terrible reading at the end of the discs.

The GOOD spindle produces burns like this:

I see this is apparently not a Mitsubishi product made by one of the factories which are licensed to make MCC code media. Usually Mitsubishi/MCC media should give slightly better results than the good spindle’s results. Does the good spindle’s media have different hub codes? Anyway I still believe those are either fakes or factory rejects and you should get rid of them :rolleyes:

This DVD-R M… code sounds somehow familiar to me, didn’t we have something similar in the Fake TY thread?

Not necessarily so, this is a NEC scan :wink: - besides MCC02RG20 never gives really great scans, which is not a problem BTW as it’s very stable media with excellent reflectivity.

Still from the stampercode posted I don’t think it’s genuine MCC here. :disagree:

Thanks for the replies! I will try to get them through RMA, I hope they bother to answer, but maybe not… :sad:

Doesn’t sound like the right stamper codes or serial numbers for genuine Mitsubishi/Verbatim MCC02RG20 discs to me either. I have real Mitsubishi (not Verbatim) 8x DVD-R discs and they are CMC made, so I can confirm those stamper codes/serial numbers stated above are correct.

In any case, something is rather fishy about the whole thing : the website advertises the discs as Mitsubishi (not Verbatim) 8x DVD-R discs. Mitsubishi discs are usually not sold outside of SE Asia and Japan.

I smell a rat.

Yeah I think so too. What 8X or 12X are good dvd-r today? I am thinking of importing som Yuden from svp.co.uk Those are supposed to be good?

^Absolutely, and svp seems to be the real deal.

SVP are brilliant. Taiyo Yuden’s or genuine MCC coded discs are the best choices in my opinion.

In his case it is 8x MCC -R so the CMC code should start with MAH.

This DVD-R M… code sounds somehow familiar to me, didn’t we have something similar in the Fake TY thread?

Hmm The fake verbatims with faked package had these.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=144263
Also Bulkpaq was spotted with same type serial. SO it looks infosmart made who are not allowed to use the MCC stamper.

:clap: - you nailed it!

Just as expected no one wants to take responsibility for these discs. The support from discsonline.dk says they have sent the RMA request to the german distributor, but there has been no reply from them for over a week. So I am stuck with 300 useless discs.

I sent all the information to discsonline.dk, including links to threads in this forum about counterfeit discs and with all the horrible scans of this CRAP but of course they don’t answer. This is the negative aspect of shopping online. You can never make them pay for mistakes in the same way. I would be standing at their counter with a baseball bat if I could :a

Shop at SVP and say bye bye to these problems. They have a great customer service and replace any disc you’re not happy with, without discussion, quickly and… with a smile.

Besides, they wouldn’t carry counterfeit Verbatim discs. They sell some questionable media (Datasafe, Datawrite, Ridisc) but they’re serious when it comes to good media (Verbatim, Plextor, unbranded Taiyo Yuden, TDK…).

Sorry for your issue, I feel your pain… :frowning:

Totally agree with Francksoy on SVP - nothing short of excellent when it comes to customer service. Sadly, online shopping is always a struggle when it comes to finding good companies.