Very bad results for Verbatim branded T03 scans in a new packaging

vbimport

Hello,

Recently I bought a couple of Verbatim’s DVD+R x16 packs on spindle in a new wrapping (which looks like the ones on http://tinyurl.com/yp6a89, except that pack’s base looks different, as Japan-made packs). Media type is YUDEN000 T03, MIJ.

Till now I used Verbatim’s DVD+Rs x16 in an old packaging (same media type, also MIJ), and though scans weren’t great, they were fine - usually there were 20000-30000 PIEs (max 20) and 1000-1500 PIFs (max 7-8). But with DVD+Rs in a new packaging error rate is a complete disaster: DVD+Rs from one of the packages contain PO failures, and DVD+Rs from the other package “just” have much worse error rate. Here is a couple of examples (all the burns were done at x8 speed):

From a bad pack:

And here are the scans from a “better” pack:

Also, here is a typical scan from an old pack:

The question is, why DVD+Rs from the new packs are so bad? The only thing that had seemingly changed is the wrapping…

Also, can I somehow improve the burn results?

And the last question: even though the scans for DVD+Rs from the bad pack are so bad, the disks are still perfectly readable (md5 sum computes fine). How can that be - doesn’t PO failures mean that the disk is unreadable?

Ouch! Glad I didn’t get a pack the other day :eek:

One thing does spring to mind - got any newer burners you can try? The 1620 is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

What speed are you burning at?

Oh, I edited the title BTW…as it’s T03, not TY03 :wink:

I also tried to burn using Pioneer 112d, and the results were similar (checks were done on BENQ).

All the burns are done at a speed X8.

Ah, OK. 8x is a good speed too :iagree:

I’ve not used the T03 in the new packaging yet, but I did find the T03 in the old-style Verb packaging to be below average in quality, too. :frowning:

Resuts don’t look good, but I’m sceptical about the PIE/PIF/POF/Jitter reported by the BenQ DW1620 in this case. If there really were that many POF and a jitter up to 19%, the drive shouldn’t be able to read the disc with almost no slowdowns, but it does according to your TRT. Any POF will result in the drive either trying to re-read the problematic sector or fail altogether.

So I think you have bad results but perhaps not quite as bad as your BenQ scan suggests.

TYG03 and YUDEN000 T03 media generally burn with higher PIFs than TYG02 and YUDEN000 T02. From experience, Verbatim-branded YUDEN000 T03 is in fact very good media (the Verbatim-Europe ones in the old dark blue packaging). When written at 18X on my Pioneer DVR-112L or 20X on ny Pioneer DVR-115L, I always achieve below 1000 PIFs with no “clumps” when scanned with my BenQ DW1640 @ 8X CAV. That is a very good result for any media type!

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

[QUOTE=terminalvelocd;1998489]TYG03 and YUDEN000 T03 media generally burn with higher PIFs than TYG02 and YUDEN000 T02. From experience, Verbatim-branded YUDEN000 T03 is in fact very good media (the Verbatim-Europe ones in the old dark blue packaging). When written at 18X on my Pioneer DVR-112L or 20X on ny Pioneer DVR-115L, I always achieve below 1000 PIFs with no “clumps” when scanned with my BenQ DW1640 @ 8X CAV. That is a very good result for any media type!

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD[/QUOTE]

Funny you should say that - I recall results from Dee-27 also, on the Pio 115x, and those were good, too :wink:

Yes but the original poster also got some great results out of the old style Verb T03 discs. Seems there’s a slight problem with the newer packaging stuff.

I do agree that a newer writer should be used though. I only use my 1620 for scanning.

Yeah but the OP also said he tried with a Pio112D, which isn’t exactly old :slight_smile: - although admittedly, he didn’t post scans of those :wink:

So it seems there could well be a small problem regarding stuff in the Neo-Verbie packaging. :iagree:

I take back what I said earlier, I’m kinda wishing I’d grabbed a spindle of T03 Neo-Verbies now! :doh:

Yet again Verbatim seems to give TY a bad name :bigsmile:

The bad 2 scans posted here have major problems near the edge , this can happen with “certain” spindles but not all , even my most beautifull OPTODISC R16 did that with some discs in jewel cases as well as RICOHJPN R03 under Ridata brand .

It happens but should not be generalized as some may think : Oh , MIJ T03 Verbatim in neo packaging are horrible :wink:

Why are you using such an old Cd/dvd speed 4.7.0.0 ??

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1998671]Yes but the original poster also got some great results out of the old style Verb T03 discs. Seems there’s a slight problem with the newer packaging stuff.

I do agree that a newer writer should be used though. I only use my 1620 for scanning.[/QUOTE]

YEAH I don't even burn with my 1640 anymore  only scanning.

[QUOTE=minaelromany;1998874]Yet again Verbatim seems to give TY a bad name :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Sure it’s not the other way around? :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1999067]Sure it’s not the other way around? :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

LOL…I was thinking the same thing :wink: :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1999067]Sure it’s not the other way around? :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Well , it depends

For knowledgable tech folks they would hate TY because they know every thing about outsourcing and MIDs .

For more advanced folks , they would think that Verbatim buys lesser quality batches from TY for more profit as Japanese stuff is more expensive for Verbatim than Taiwanese , Indian and recently Chinese manufactuering of their own MCC stuff

For average joes who do not know anything about discs than the name “Verbatim” and Made In Japan on them who would see such discs unplayable and/or unreadable , so they would assume that Verbatim MIJ is bad and in that case Verbatim would win with their own MID over TY

So , I guess it is Verbatim’s fault
Or can anybody explain why ALL other brands with TY MID is way better than Verbatim (ie Panasonic , Sony , Plextor RIP and even Unbranded TY media) ? :wink:

Well Verbatim is one of TYs biggest threats in the blank media world. It could go either way, TY sabotaging Verbatim or Verbatim cheaping out and buying B grade media from TY. No one really knows for sure. :stuck_out_tongue:

I recently own unbrand TYG03 / T03 also lots of degradation than last year
and Some TYG03 like a CMC.MAG.M01 media :a

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1999401]Well Verbatim is one of TYs biggest threats in the blank media world. It could go either way, TY sabotaging Verbatim or Verbatim cheaping out and buying B grade media from TY. No one really knows for sure. :p[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

It is a cutthroat business and “each” company would do anything for more profit and/or to destroy the other :frowning:

One advice I have though : is to buy Verbatim media Made In Taiwan and buy MIJ TY media unbranded or under any other brand than Verbatim

Poor results from these verbatim DVD+R MIJ these are also in the new packing, bought this weekend from SVP

DVD+R MIJ
YUDEN000 T03

Inner hub KH7YUA102593PH

TH000039

Outer packaging(shrink wrap)Verbatim#43550 0704-21

Both packs displayed blemish/speckle on out edge, first pack about 45, 2nd pack about 18, have tried burning with non blemish/marked discs poor results as follows

Benq 1650 Burn 8x = Scan Lite-On DH-20A1S - Benq 1650

Burned @12x NEC 3540 Scan Lite-On DH-20A1S