Very Bad Burns With DW1650

I recently bought a DW1650 and until now I’ve had nothing but very bad burns, regardless of the media used (YUDEN000 T02, TDK 003, TYG02) I always get very bad results that look like the one in the picture. Turning SOLIDBURN and WOPC off doesn’t seem to make a big difference. SOLIDBURN, if activated, will gradually decrease writing speed, between burns of the same media ( i.e. 8X DVD+R YUDEN000T02 will be written at 2.4X after the third or fourth burn) and although PO failures decrease (or disappear) along with the writing speed, there are a lot of PI failures at the end of the disk (even with high quality media burned at 2.4X).

I also scanned the disk with a Lite-On 812S on a different computer and it shows a completely different picture which I can’t explain (is it a good burn or a bad one?)

The drive is connected with an 80 pin cable as a secondary master and my pc specs are:

M/B Chipset Nforce 2 ultra
768 MB Ram
300 W PSU
Secondary slave: ASUS E616 DVD-ROM
GFX: Radeon 9700 Pro
HDD: 40GB Maxtor and 120GB Seagate

I really can’t figure what’s wrong (the drive could be faulty though so I’m thinking of returning it) so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

George.

http://www.geocities.com/georgiosbogosian/BENQ_DW1650_SCAN.png
http://www.geocities.com/georgiosbogosian/LITE-ON_812S_SCAN.png

(I couldn’t upload images)

High jitter levels=high reported error levels with Benqs. Once you hit about 12% and higher jitter levels, Benqs become overly sensitive and start reporting VERY high error levels. Under ‘normal’ jitter levels, they are good testing drives though. Because of this, I ignore error levels with discs tested on my Benqs with discs that have very high error levels. Fortunately I rarely encounter media with jitter levels 12%+ and I have a Liteon to test with if I do encounter such discs. High jitter IS a bad thing though, so something isn’t right with your results.

Your jitter levels are very odd, with a gradual rise right to the edge. Most media of decent or better quality will usually have fairly level jitter levels to the edge. If you burned the discs at a slow speed such as 2.4x, I would not be suprised if that would cause the poor results, since higher speed media rarely burns well at slower speeds.

What kind of results are you getting if burning the discs at 8x with SB off? Still high jitter levels? In all likelyhood, your best burn results will come at 8x with 8x TY.

I agree, most new media doesn’t like to be burned too slow. What speed have you been burning at?

Did you cycle the drive tray between the burn and the scan in the 1650? I have seen that cause problems with the Disc Quality test. Perhaps, try retesting the same disc in the 1650 again? Does the scan look any better?

I also get high PIE levels and higher Jitter with the 1650 but both are within acceptable levels.
http://www.imageweb.info/viewimage.php?file=/2/zAJ17484.png

Yes, I cycled the tray before scanning.

I re-burned the same data on “That’s DVD+R 8X” media using Nero 7.0.1.2 at 8X speed and here are the two scans. The first one is with SOLIDBURN activated and the other with it off (WOPC was on during both burns). The results as you can see, with SOLIDBURN off are much worse than with it on. Since I ruled out the possibility of media problems, given that I tried different (high quality) media with almost identical results, this leaves me with the defective drive option.

Any other ideas anyone?

Thanks a lot for the replies BTW.

George.

http://www.geocities.com/georgiosbogosian/SB_OFF.png
http://www.geocities.com/georgiosbogosian/SB_ON.png

Don’t waste more media, imo it’s time for a RMA.

I would exchange the drive as well at this point, although the fact that the disc scanned fine in the Liteon leaves some doubt as to the true problem here. Poor burn quality, OR is it actually an issue of the drive having reading issues, therefore REPORTING high jitter and error levels, when the burns are actually fine (as the Liteon scan suggests).

I hope you get another Benq as they are generally great drives. I would be interested in seeing what sort of scans you get in another Benq, I have a feeling that there is actually just some reading/testing issue with your drive and that the discs are actually fine.

@ scoobiedoobie: I had that exact same problem, the scan looked almost the same, and then I changed the IDE ribbon to 40 pin 80 conductor and voila , perfect scans.

Did you change 40 pin ribbon to 80 pin or otherwise. Sorry I didn’t quite understand.

What is RMA?

Having had a lot of so - so to poor scans recently,
of good media - MCC 003 and MCC 004 I’ve just
ordered a new 40 pin 80 conductor cable myself. :slight_smile:

My thoughts exactly.

The diverse results produced by the two drives would indicate either that the Lite-On is a completely untrustworthy scanning drive or that Benq has severe reading problems. Although the fact that it can burn almost perfectly but its reading is almost completely wrecked, is a bit weird (never heard of it before). Anyway, I will return the drive but I want to understand what’s really going on, so I scanned a pressed DVD-ROM with both drives and here are the results.

http://www.geocities.com/georgiosbogosian/PRESSED_BENQ.png
http://www.geocities.com/georgiosbogosian/PRESSED_LITE-ON.png

Thanks for all the feedback.

PS.: I am already using a 40 pin 80 conductor cable, so the problem is elsewhere.

Looking at the jitter reported on this Benq scan as well, this just further proves that there is something wrong with the reading of the Benq. That’s a very unusual way of increasing the jitter, even when jitter increases towards the edge it typically is in more of a bell curve, not a linear increase from one end of the disc to the other. You may want to try another cable just for the heck of it since a couple of people suggested it as above, but it sounds like the cable you are using is probably ok already.

The jitter is basically following the increase in read speed, very odd. I’m guessing that the jitter will increase much earlier and follow a pretty level line if you test at 8x P-CAV. And a 4x P-CAV would probably follow a much more level jitter path as well. Even so, something isn’t right, whether it is the drive itself of something system related.

Just tried a different 80 conductor cable (a round one) and results are pretty much the same. I’m going to test it, as a last resort, on a different pc before I return it. But this has to wait until tomorrow, because it’s getting awfully late (or early in the morning if you prefer :smiley: ) here in Greece and I’d better get some sleep.

Change to 40 pin cable with 80 conductors (wires).
RMA = Return Merchandise Authorization
(return for warranty replacement).

I finally returned the drive and got a new one.

I rescanned the disks that I burned with the defective drive and everything seems as expected (good quality burns that is), except the one that I burned with Solidburn deactivated, which is awful. It seems that the old drive had reading issues, but could burn ok.

As a side note, seeing that a significant number of users had problems with their drives and had to return them, I would assume that Benq, could use a bit better quality control.

[B]TYG02 Scans[/B]
NEW DRIVE
OLD DRIVE

[B]YUDEN000 T02 Scans[/B]
NEW DRIVE
OLD DRIVE

[B]YUDEN000 T02 SOLIDBURN OFF Scans[/B]
NEW DRIVE
OLD DRIVE

[B]Pressed DVD-ROM Scans[/B]
NEW DRIVE
OLD DRIVE

Glad to hear that you are getting better reading with the new drive, thanks for updating us.

Regarding T02 with SB off, it is definitely an odd result, the old drive may have had some burning issues as well. I get constant QS’s of 98-99 with T02 with SB off.

Those new scans look much better… but every single scan have much higher PI Errors at the end.

Is this normal?

Well, considering the drive that burned those disks, was broken, this could be seen as normal.

Although one shouldn’t extrapolate results taken from an isolated case such as mine, this particular example (good burns produced by turning “Solid Burn” on), illustrates that “Solid Burn” can actually do wonders, since it managed to produce a good burn, out of a wrecked drive. It looks like “Solid Burn” compensates, not only for low quality media but for defective drives too (at least the kind of defects mine had).

On the other hand, there is one case where you shouldn’t activate “Solid Burn” and that is when over burning. That would have as a result, another coaster (I can’t even remember how many discs I’ve wasted these days, doing various “tests” :D)

At least I gained some knowledge out of all this mishap…

[B]Over Burning Scans[/B]
“Solid Burn” On
“Solid Burn” Off

That’s what it’s all about. :bigsmile: