Very annoying stalls/laggs during playback on another drive

vbimport

Hello. I’m having some problems with my PX-716 (ide) burner. AVI files on data dvds and dvd movie backups are lagging/locking up the video app at the end while playing back on my htpc which has a Nec ND-1300 dvdrw drive.

First of all when using the stock firmware (1.05?) I couldn’t burn my Premium (AML) disks at all. The burner failed during the first quarter or so of the burn. I later flashed to 1.07 and I could finally finnish the burn. Unfortunately the burner seemed to have some problems with these discs unless they were burned in DAO mode. If I burnt them using standard cdrecord (K3B) and Nerolinux the discs were totally unreadable. The drive kept chugging and chugging and it was impossible to eject them. Discs burnt with K3B DAO were readable but they had laggs during the ending of the disc and could sometimes lock the htpc video app. This was mostly noticed on DVD movie backups.

I burn game backups a lot and none of the burnt discs have turned out corrupted during install but that may be because of them not covering the whole disc (often only 2-3gb). I started doing verifications after each burn and none of them failed. These discs are +R 8x discs and I’ve never had any problems with them when I used my ND-1300 for burning. All those of those discs burnt with the ND-1300 still play back fine on the htpc. Later on I lowered the speed to 4x and even to 2x but it didn’t help either. The drive also got flashed to 1.08 straight after.

When I visited this forum for the first time after a long period I noticed that these AML discs weren’t so good that I’d thought they were (My retailer and VCDhelp recommended them, that’s why I bought them). I then ordered some Verbatim 16x +R discs and refunded my remaining Premium one’s in hope that these would eliminate the lagg/stall problems. But no no, same errors still persisted on my htpc. Howewer, now the discs were readable after burning with Nerolinux and Cdrecord (K3B). Nerolinux has been my choice as it allows 16x recording (I could only reach 12x with K3B).

So simply, discs read fine with the PX-716 itself laggs at the end while playing back on the ND-1300.

Bah, anyone heard of these problems before? Could this have something to do with DAO/standard recording? I’m trying to examine that now with some RW discs but I’m loosing faith soon. Maybe I’ll have to buy another drive for the htpc or just wait for the ps3…

Hi RaZoR1394,

I think you need to determine if the discs you are burning are being burned properly and the only way to do that is to scan them for errors. There is a set of programs to do this under Linux <a href=“http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~noe/Plextor/pxlinux-0.0.4.tar.gz” target="_blank">in this tarball</a>. They scan the disc and then sends the results to GNUPlot to display them as a graph. The PISUM1 and PISUM8 programs will give us the most information.

If I read your post correctly, it sounds like recordings made on your Px716 don’t play back well on your NEC, and vice-versa. How does video playback on a standalone player?

The reason why you’re more apt to notice lag/pixellation/skips on video DVDs - and not notice a problem on data discs (like games) - is because of the time-critical nature of video playback from disc. In order to keep up with the frames-per-second requirement of video, the disc has to keep delivering new data that gets decoded into a PAL/NTSC picture. If the drive is having trouble reading the disc (because of a poor quality burn) it either re-tries the problem sectors or skips them completely.

On a data disc the same thing happens, but you tend not to notice because the data delivery can pause and not affect the eventual outcome. You only notice in the case of severe errors when you hear the read head thrashing in and out of position trying to read the problem sector. When it can’t, you get a media error.

If you can run some scans and post the results, you will get comments about whether you should expect problems (or not) with that particular recording. If you get consistently bad scans on a variety of good media (ie. your MCC04 Verbatim 16x +R is very good media) then your drive has a problem and needs to be returned.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Thanks a lot for the tips. I found the pxlinux package in the Portage tree (I use Gentoo linux) so it got installed pretty smooth together with pdflib and gnuplot.

Unfortunately I don’t have a standalone drive :(. Though I got two more computers with dvd drives. I’ll try them out later.

Ok… I’ve now scanned two discs; one Verbatim disc and one Premium disc burnt with the PX716. If you want more scans of for ex discs burnt with the NEC ND-1300, I’ll make some.

DVD movie - Premium (AML) DVD+R 8x probably burned at 4x or 8x.

DVD movie - Verbatim DVD+R 16x burnt at 16x.

Uhhh. This DVD movie on a Premium (AML) disc was burnt using the ND-1300 at 4x and It’s at least 2 months old.

All the graphs you posted don’t show any real problem areas. It’s pretty normal to see an increase in the error levels when burning at 16X but the general rule is that as long as, in SUM 8, their amount does not exceed 280 (the green line in your graph), the burn is within specification. For SUM 1 this error limit lies at 4.

Crap :(. Not good. (hdc is the dvdrw drive not a disc :))

Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 2167353
hdc: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: media error (bad sector): error=0x34 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x03 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 8669416
Buffer I/O error on device hdc, logical block 2167354

I’m getting the same errors (though significantly less) on the computer with the Plextor drive and I said before it doesnt lock up. I checked the PI error FAQ and yes those results should be acceptable but the content must have been corrupted during burn somehow.

Well, the PISUM8 scans are fine (assuming PISUM8 was run with an interval parm of 1, 2, or not specified which is the same as 1). BTW, a correction to my previous post: Instead of PISUM1, the program is called “PIF”. Unless there’s an unusually high number of PIFs to go along with those perfectly reasonable PIE scores, the problem isn’t the quality of the burn - it looks like both the Plex and the NEC produce burns that should play perfectly in a standalone player … do you not know anyone with one that will let you experiment for a few minutes? It would at least finally rule out media/burn quality issues.

I get skippy playback sometimes in Kaffeine (KDE GUI frontend for xine) and I think it’s mostly due to a pretty slow CPU running a somewhat bloated KDE 3.2 install. Are you using fairly recent hardware? Because of the nature of the beast, I’m almost certain your Gentoo install is pretty tight.

About those errors on hdc…were they generated while running PISUM8 or …? I’m pretty much of a linux noob, so all that I can think of is unlikely stuff like weird parms being passed on the mount command or something wrong in fstab. I’m also assuming the drive shows up as DMA 4 in the BIOS…? Is the PX716 alone on the IDE channel or is it sharing it with, say, an older CDROM drive? Is it Master?

If you haven’t already, another place to try is linuxquestions.org

Good luck and if you can add any more info, maybe something will stand out :-/

edit: How do (playback/scans) of pressed DVD-ROMs do?

I tried it in a Samsung DVDrom drive on another computer and it played back totally OK. :slight_smile: DMA is on and I haven’t touched anything on the NEC drive. I wondered if a firmware upgrade was needed but I remember that I’ve checked recently for it. Just in case I checked again and the latest firmware was still 1.0B.

Here is the hdparm info on the NEC drive:

Model=_NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A, FwRev=1.0B, SerialNo=
Config={ Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
(maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
IORDY=yes, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2
AdvancedPM=no

• signifies the current active mode

Here’s the PIF scan of a Verbatim DVD+R 16x disc burned with the PX716 at 16x (DVD movie):

I get skippy playback sometimes in Kaffeine (KDE GUI frontend for xine) and I think it’s mostly due to a pretty slow CPU running a somewhat bloated KDE 3.2 install. Are you using fairly recent hardware? Because of the nature of the beast, I’m almost certain your Gentoo install is pretty tight.

The computer is based on a P4 2.67ghz with 768mb ram and a Ati radeon 9800xt 256 mb which should be enough for xvid/divx and dvd. And yes the installation is very optimized with nptl, udev and some other goodies. It’s also running fluxbox so It shouldnt be so performance drawing.

About those errors on hdc…were they generated while running PISUM8 or …? I’m pretty much of a linux noob, so all that I can think of is unlikely stuff like weird parms being passed on the mount command or something wrong in fstab. I’m also assuming the drive shows up as DMA 4 in the BIOS…? Is the PX716 alone on the IDE channel or is it sharing it with, say, an older CDROM drive? Is it Master?

No I just got them by doing a #dmesg | tail after the movie crashed on the computer with the ND1300 drive. They were visible on the PX716 comp too but not that much (The error message in my previous post repeats over and over again). When you get such errors on a harddrive It’s often signs that the HDD is dying or that the filesystem is corrupt. That got me scared in the first place until I noticed it was the Nec drive having problems. In this case there were problems reading the disc.

If you haven’t already, another place to try is linuxquestions.org

I tried the Gentoo forum but noone even had a suggestion. I seem to be rather unlucky with my problems, there hehe. Though most have been fixed.

Good luck and if you can add any more info, maybe something will stand out :-/

Thanks a lot :).

edit: How do (playback/scans) of pressed DVD-ROMs do?

I tried one recently and it played back fine on the ND1300 drive.