Verizon boots illegal file sharers

vbimport

I just posted the article Verizon boots illegal file sharers.

[quote][/quote]

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/verizon-boots-illegal-file-sharers-25132/](http://www.myce.com/news/verizon-boots-illegal-file-sharers-25132/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

from quote: ‘Comcast’s throttling of BitTorrent users was intended to reduce strain on its network.’

to learn and understand, i read definition of ‘bitTorrent(protocol)’ on wikipedia.org; and based on definition, bitTorrent was used for distributing big files/data and described was designed to reduce strain on host computer, and functions/capable on lower bandwidths; and mentioned bitTorrent has been most common file transfering protocol, accounts for aprox 27-55 percent of all internet traffic(depending on geographical location) as of 2/2009.

to ‘throttle bandwidth’ of bitTorrent users, doesn’t appear justified ; or could ths be near ilegal if one pays for isp and the isp has reduced(throttle) his bandwith; or, if thats whats necessary to manage/maintain good broadband traffic and service, i support the business’s perspective and decisions. appears 2 sided.

as for the ban or disconnection of service, wrong, and obvious the service has been crossing the line and watching/discern what one does and his emails, again wrong(wheres the warrant), intentions were right though the method bad.

sigh, where can i start. ths subject has been of concern and important to me, b/c wireless/wi-fi, cell and isp service(s) are now big part of ones lifestyle; and my concerns are of my security/protection and of privacy issues.

after reading(to understand) for more info in forums, crap, how conceited and rookie i am, regarding ths above issue(s) and the complexities (ths is very detailed, though i believe good to learn and understand);
eg, 1) ‘throttle bandwidth’ appears ok vs earlier commented, and has been apparent good defense for managing broadband and strains, and used for good defense against spammers per reading and referenced sites;

1. from those who know what i dont, the isp is apparent not detecting or able of watching/discern what one does and emails, though outside organisations have method(s) of detection, and could send complaint to the isp; my concerns, are the detections legal, or safe; if u didnt agree to the detection are u able to block/protect.

conclusion, recommend for rookies like me, good starting point for info:
ref ‘club myce > music downloads, file sharing and legal issues’, esp ‘read first: welcome’ and other recent posts,

can i stop blushing now, :o

Cable companies one and all have a VESTED INTEREST in keeping consumption of “free entertainment” low so that consumers buy Cable-TV services from them in a bundle. Verizon is only lately coming to sell Cable-Tv and was a poor negotiator when trying to get Video (cable-tv) franchises from municipalities… something the cable companies had to do. The ratio of deployed network to subscription uptake is quite low… it will be hard for this company to keep to that promise and grow their subscriber base-- especially after RAISING PRICES and adding a HUGE EARLY TERMINATION FEE to their TWO YEAR CONTRACTS! In addition, they have the highest pricing in the industry… but the more reliable internet access… cable companies have had monpoly markets for far too long and have not upgraded or maintained subscriber-to-PEAK node capacity in about 5 years (and even then, cherry picking tier upgrades where competition rears it’s head). There is some light docsis 3 rollout, but the state of competition and deployment is still poor. That said, alternatives to “free” and/or ‘allegedly copyrighted content’ (aka piracy) are almost nonexistent.

True that. Their other interest is keeping bandwidth down so they don’t have to upgrade their infra structure.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2489367]Cable companies one and all have a VESTED INTEREST in keeping consumption of “free entertainment” low so that consumers buy Cable-TV services from them in a bundle. [/quote] Gee a company that has itself as the best interest.

That said, alternatives to “free” and/or ‘allegedly copyrighted content’ (aka piracy) are almost nonexistent.
There are tons of different ways to connect to a network, proxies, TOR, routing, via companies, etc. Sad thing it’s not that legal, but there are tons and tons of possibilities.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2489370]Their other interest is keeping bandwidth down so they don’t have to upgrade their infra structure.[/QUOTE]

believe u hit tht one right on the mark, oly

[QUOTE=yelodog;2489603]believe u hit tht one right on the mark, oly[/QUOTE]
I wish they would start rebuilding their infrastructure again, I used to be a Cable TV Sweep Tech and could use the work…