Verify written data in nero is this really useful or waste of time?

I have gotten verification errors in nero but the dvd video still plays no problems seems this is a waste of time!

waste of time

Transfer rate test in CDSpeed is a better measure of read-ability

Waste of time. Seems like as long as Nero has been around there have been complaints about the verification process being useless.

If you’re really curious, there are freeware/shareware binary comparison tools out there where you can compare the files on the hard drive with those burned to the DVD to see if they are identical.

And then of course the usual Kprobe/Disc Quality Scan testing (if you have a supported drive) or the error tests in DVDinfoPro.

surface scan with cdspeed 3.10 is good to do too… :wink:

aka “ScanDisc”

verifying with nero is a waste of time. as others said use cdspeed3 which is far better. you can also use dvdinfopro which will scan the disc for any errors which is helpful.

waste of time

verifying with Nero is NOT a waste of time.
I have burned my first ever DVD-R. A Ridisc, with the Pio 107D.
I have filled the disc to the top (4426MB).
Several big RARs, and a tiny txt.

Nero verification reported that the tiny .txt failed the test.
I opened this tiny .txt, and indeed, it was damaged (last words missing).
I guess the fault was in Nero, but don’t know for sure.
DVDInfo Pro scanned for errors, but found none.

What is the best tool to compare files binary (DVD-R vs HardDisc)?

DVDinfoPro checked the media for errors, not differences in the files from the source. That’s two different things.

I’ve used a program called Beyond Compare and found it useful. Not the fastest piece of software, but its a good compare utility.

DVDinfoPro checked the media for errors, not differences in the files from the source. That’s two different things.

ah,thats interesting. Then, can we affirm that the actual recording was done ok, but the file was somehow “trimmed” before being actually written to media?
Btw, even if that file was “trimmed”, the CDSpeed-Quality Test is quite decent.
I have now repeated the same recording, but this time with the NEC2510 instead the Pio. 107D, and Nero verified ok, but I am getting very ugly Quality Test.
I am running the QT on a 163D reader. The results are quite consistant.
The media tested is a Ridisc 4X. Recorded at 4X.
Fws are original: 2.15 for the NEC, and 1.05 for the Pio.

Regarding “Beyond Compare”, I am now going to get it. thanks.

Sort of. In DVDinfoPro, you’re checking to see if the media has any errors, errors that the drive cannot overcome.

As long as the drive can read from each sector fine, it passes. Whether the data there is the same data on the hard drive is not tested. It doesn’t use the source data to compare. It just uses the burned disc and the error correction data on it.

The NEC drive has issues with some Ritek media. That could be why you’re getting the ugly quality test.

I have never seen any real error found by the verify from Nero. I use the speed test in Nero CD/DVD Speed, however I never use scandisc.

Instead I use a tool called CDCheck from http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/ It reports both reading errors (i.e. CRC errors) and reading speed - with a little experience, the reading speed tells just the same as the reading curve from DVD Speed, but usually I do both once in while just to keep checking the spindles I use.

It just uses the burned disc and the error correction data on it.

so, the “CRC” correction code was satisfactory… mhhhh
could it be… I recorded a lot of data into the disc: 4426MB no less.
Nero reported an available capacity a bit higher: 4480 MB or so.
Maybe I filled too much data into the disk, and I got a “chunk” out of the disk?
maybe this is why no error is reported when you check the correction code,
but you get error when comparing with the original. Huh, from now on, I will always do compare-verifies.

The NEC drive has issues with some Ritek media. That could be why you’re getting the ugly quality test.

Yes, I have heard of that. But never believed the results were going to be so bad. Also I thought fw 2.15 was going to improve the situation, but I see it doesn’t.
Anyway, before making conclusions, I have to do more tests.

My problem is that I ordered the Ridiscs first, and then the NEC, and then, I read about the problem in the forums. That is why I later ordered the Pioneer 107D.
Also, having 2 burners will give me compatibility with a lot of media.

When I had my old Pioneer DVR-104 drive, there was an issue with it and Nero and Ritek media. Data written along the outer edge of the disc sometimes had problems. Was a fairly common occurrence for people.

The solution was to use a different software program (like RecordNow Max) or don’t fill the disc all the way to the outer edge.

I don’t know if that still happens or not with newer Ritek media, newer Pioneer drives, or newer versions of Nero. Was just one of those weird things that I remember from the “early days” of DVD recording. :slight_smile:

Well, other than Ritek media, the NEC drive is pretty darn compatible.

And I (and others) have burned Ritek media without issue on the NEC drive as well. Seems to be a limited problem, though how limited is anyone’s guess.

Herrie’s latest modified firmware does improve writing on “bad” Ritek G04 media over the stock firmware. I didn’t think there were any changes to the write strategies for the Ritek media in the stock firmware.

You might want to update to the newest ND-2510A firmware, which is version 2.06. (Even though its lower numbered, its a newer version.) You can get it from http://tdb.rpc1.org/.

@thegdog:

When I had my old Pioneer DVR-104 drive, there was an issue with it and Nero and Ritek media. Data written along the outer edge of the disc sometimes had problems. Was a fairly common occurrence for people.

great! this is almost certainly my problem. It is relieving to know that it is normal, and nothing serious.
Well, just for making sure, how can I find out the location of the tiny .txt file in the disc? it is probably located in the outest ring.

Well, other than Ritek media, the NEC drive is pretty darn compatible.

Yes, I am sure I will get better results with other media.

Herrie’s latest modified firmware does improve writing on “bad” Ritek G04 media over the stock firmware. I didn’t think there were any changes to the write strategies for the Ritek media in the stock firmware.

So, even the latest stock firmwares are bad with Ritek G04? What is NEC waiting for?
Regarding Harrie’s fws, yes, I know they specifically target G04 media. I will probably flash them in the future. But not yet. Before nulling my warranty, I want to make sure my NEC drive is OK :slight_smile:

You might want to update to the newest ND-2510A firmware, which is version 2.06. (Even though its lower numbered, its a newer version.) You can get it from http://tdb.rpc1.org/.

ermmmm, no, because this is another official firmware, not Harrie’s, isn’t it?
Then 2.06 will probably stay on the G04 problems.

I remember there were reports that G04 burns better with 2.06. I can’t find the exact thread.

2.06 firmware burns G05 at 8x while other firmwares lock the speed to 4x.
It is natural to assume NEC at least did “something” to Ritek -R family.

I remember there were reports that G04 burns better with 2.06.

ok, I will have this in mind. But for now, It seems my Pioneer will take care of the Ridiscs.

Well, it is serious in that your data isn’t being recorded correctly at the outer edge. :slight_smile:

I just brought it up because it sounded similar to something I remembered from ways back. One would think the problem would have been addressed by now.

I don’t know if there is a way to tell what data is where on the disc.

Well, it is serious in that your data isn’t being recorded correctly at the outer edge.

Of course, but it is easy to prevent from happening. :slight_smile:

I don’t know if there is a way to tell what data is where on the disc.

I will ask in the media forum.

EDIT:I have been at the Beyond Compare site, and it seems the dowload is a 30-day trial, and after that you must pay. Isn’t there a free version?

Hi,

i burned my first DVD-R.
It was a backup for the office with abt 300 file.
I used Nero 6.x. I verified by Nero the DVD and i got 41 file that couldnt be read.

I burned at 2x to be much more sure for the quality :confused:

Can you help me?

Many thanks

Alessandro