Verify MKV Problem (H264 + Audiocopy)

vbimport

I’ve had a problem with MKV creation using H264 + AC3 since the start of version 5. I have so far assumed that what I’m seeing is a simple bug in DVDFab and even received word from Fengtao that they would look into it back in version 5.0.7.5. I would think this is an easy bug to duplicate and therefor fix but I am no longer so sure. I’d like someone to duplicate the problem to make sure that it isn’t something to do with my setup.

I’ve used a custom profile to maximize the H264 quality coming from DVDFab. I’m using a rediculously high bitrate of 10000 to create an H264 reference sample. However, I experiance the following problems:

[ul]
[li]mkv2vob chokes on the file with “Could not parse mkv file!”.[/li][li]MediaInfo shows the video format as AVC but lists the profile as “0@L0.0”.[/li][li]VLC will play the file correctly but the progress bar and time readout keep jumping back and forth a few seconds.[/li][/ul]
Here is the complete video section from MediaInfo:

Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : 0@L0.0
Format settings, CABAC           : No
Format settings, ReFrames        :  frame0
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Width                            : 16 pixels
Height                           : 32 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 0.500
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Progressive

If you run the same exact profile except change the output container to AVI then you get the following correct output in MediaInfo:

Format profile                   : Main@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 1 frame
Codec ID                         : H264
Duration                         : 3mn 50s
Bit rate                         : 8741 Kbps
Nominal bit rate                 : 10000 Kbps
Width                            : 720 pixels
Height                           : 400 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16/9
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Resolution                       : 24 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 1.266
Stream size                      : 240 MiB
Writing library                  : x264 core 60
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=0:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0 / me=dia / subme=7 / brdo=0 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=4 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=2 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=0 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=0(pre) / rc=abr / bitrate=10000 / ratetol=0.8 / rceq='tex^qComp' / qcomp=0.50 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=31 / qpstep=3 / ip_ratio=1.25 / aq=0

I can fix the problem using tsMuxer by creating a M2TS file, clicking the “Change level” check box on the H.264 part (defaults to 4.1), and renaming the resulting file to a VOB extension (so it plays on the PS3). This option is undesirable because tsMuxer will sometimes de-sync the audio. What is interesting is that the MediaInfo output after tsMuxer has the same level of detail that the AVI does which means it is present somewhere in the MKV.

If you should decide to try to duplicate my issue make sure to use one chapter (10000 bitrate remember) from an NTSC DVD with content that was originally a film (a.k.a. a region 1 movie DVD).

The board won’t let me upload the file again but you can find the profile attached here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-platinum-gold-hd-decrypter-option-mobile-5-0-7-5-out-249573/#post2101384

Is the Bitrate or the framerate 10000?

10000 bitrate
23.976 framerate

I’ve change the “fps” part. Thanks for pointing it out quickly.

Wow, that’s a lot of bits. :slight_smile: I’m crashing but may give it a try tomorrow between football games.

So does the lack of responses mean that nobody found the same problem or nobody had time to try this?

The latest version, 5.1.0.5 Beta, generates the same result for me.

Dear all,

Please try DVDFab 5.1.1.0 to see the result:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-platinum-gold-hd-decrypter-option-mobile-5-1-1-0-out-255492/

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Fengtao

Dear Fengtao,

The problem persists with the latest release ( the one that has MKV fix in its release log ).

My tvix thinks the file is of Zero length when trying to jump in it. VLC will ( latest 0,9,4 ) behave when jumping in the file it will play but the slider will be confused and jump about.

This is the exact same problem as earlier so sorry to say its not fixed.

I can report that my media players are playing DVDFab produced mkvs now. That’s progress.

But when trying to remux DVDFab produced mkvs with the subtitle files MKVmergeGUI is quitting with errors each time. The log states the following:

Warning: ‘\HPSERVER\videos\Matroska Files\Pending\generic\THEREWILLBEBLOOD JPN\THEREWILLBEBLOOD JPN.Title1.DVDRip.idx’: Line 1527: The line seems to be a subtitle entry but the timecode was negative even after adding the track delay. Negative timecodes are not supported in Matroska. This entry will be skipped.
Warning: ‘\HPSERVER\videos\Matroska Files\Pending\generic\THEREWILLBEBLOOD JPN\THEREWILLBEBLOOD JPN.Title1.DVDRip.idx’: Line 2991: The line seems to be a subtitle entry but the timecode was negative even after adding the track delay. Negative timecodes are not supported in Matroska. This entry will be skipped.
Warning: ‘\HPSERVER\videos\Matroska Files\Pending\generic\THEREWILLBEBLOOD JPN\THEREWILLBEBLOOD JPN.Title1.DVDRip.idx’: Line 4360: The line seems to be a subtitle entry but the timecode was negative even after adding the track delay. Negative timecodes are not supported in Matroska. This entry will be skipped.
Warning: ‘\HPSERVER\videos\Matroska Files\Pending\generic\THEREWILLBEBLOOD JPN\THEREWILLBEBLOOD JPN.Title1.DVDRip.idx’: Line 5729: The line seems to be a subtitle entry but the timecode was negative even after adding the track delay. Negative timecodes are not supported in Matroska. This entry will be skipped.
Warning: ‘\HPSERVER\videos\Matroska Files\Pending\generic\THEREWILLBEBLOOD JPN\THEREWILLBEBLOOD JPN.Title1.DVDRip.idx’: Line 5798: The line seems to be a subtitle entry but the timecode was negative even after adding the track delay. Negative timecodes are not supported in Matroska. This entry will be skipped.
’\HPSERVER\videos\Matroska Files\Pending\generic\THEREWILLBEBLOOD JPN\THEREWILLBEBLOOD JPN.Title1.DVDRip.idx’: Using the VobSub subtitle reader (SUB file ‘\HPSERVER\videos\Matroska Files\Pending\generic\THEREWILLBEBLOOD JPN\THEREWILLBEBLOOD JPN.Title1.DVDRip.sub’).
’\HPSERVER\videos\Matroska Files\Pending\generic\THEREWILLBEBLOOD JPN\THEREWILLBEBLOOD JPN.Title1.DVDRip.mkv’ track 1: Using the MPEG-4 part 10 (AVC) video output module.
Error: ‘\HPSERVER\videos\Matroska Files\Pending\generic\THEREWILLBEBLOOD JPN\THEREWILLBEBLOOD JPN.Title1.DVDRip.mkv’ track 2: Malformed codec id ‘A_AAC’.
— END job 572, finished on 2008-10-01 21:57:43

This is certainly progress as the output from MediaInfo looks correct:

Video
Format profile                   : Main@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 1 frame
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                         : 3mn 50s
Bit rate                         : 8370 Kbps
Width                            : 720 pixels
Height                           : 400 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16/9
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps

However, it seems that only a symptom has been fixed rather than the real problem. As Paddy pointed out, the VLC time slider still jumps between 0 and 9 seconds back and forth. More importantly, mkv2vob v2.2.4 still rejects the file with “Could not parse mkv file!”.

Thanks for the effort.

As an update, I tried DVDFab 5.1.1.5 Beta and it still exhibits the time code jump problem in VLC and the MKV is not readable in mkv2vob.

I’m not sure, but I think something has changed here however. I always test with the first chapter of the exact same DVD title. The time code jump seems a bit different (smaller?). My best guess is that it is a rounding or time conversion issue.

I made a working MKV using Handbrake to see the differences in the DVDFab created file. The only thing I can see is that the Handbrake file is reporting more video information on MediaInfo such as:

Nominal bit rate                 : 10 000 Kbps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 1.448
Writing library                  : x264 core 58 svn-736M
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=4 / brdo=0 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=0 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=abr / bitrate=10000 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40

I have no clue if the MediaInfo reporting differences are related to the real problem(s). The downside to Handbrake is that it does not handle detelecine very well.

Again, using tsMuxer to create a MT2S file (and renaming to VOB) from the DVDFab created MKV results in playable file (at least on the PS3).

Is there any timeline on when we get multiple audio streams, and subtitles being muxed direclty into mkvs?

It’s kind of tiring having remux every title using different softare every time.

i am also trying to use mkvmerge to add subs to my mkv (from dvdfab) and am getting the same “malformed codec” error. is this a problem with mkvmerge or with dvdfab?

hi,

About current MKV mux problem, I will do some improvement, I hope can fixed them as quickly as possible, but not sure the time. :frowning:

Is there any timeline on when we get multiple audio streams, and subtitles being muxed direclty into mkvs?
It’s kind of tiring having remux every title using different softare every time.

the mobile engine struct has always been improvement, I think this feature will be added it in the future, but I am sorry cannot give the exact time.

Thanks.

i re-encoded my video using ripbot264 and there was then no problem getting mkvmerge to mux the subtitles (although the dvdfab-extracted subs didn’t work, i had to re-do that, too, with vsrip). just fyi.

FYI, retried my usual test chapter. VLC’s progress bar still jumps back and forth as the movie plays. The MKV file is still not compatible with mkv2vob.

No joy with latest 5.2.2.0 version.

hi,

:o

[quote=Ting;2179047]hi,

:o[/quote]

It occurs to me that my comment may not be very clear for non-native English speakers. Let me fix that…

The latest version 5.2.2.0 has not fixed the VLC or mkv2vob problems.

And… uh…

Hi :bigsmile:

Based on the last post, it seems this is a DVDFab problem. I recently purchased 5.2.2.2 and noticed a lot of little problems as such. I ripped a MKV.H264.AC3 and it plays on both VLC and Media Player Classic. VLC does a horrible job rendering the H264 codec and makes all lettering have jagged edges. Media Player Classic allows for perfect smooth playback of the MKV.H264.

Now I know the MKV container file works. I then decided to convert it to a VOB file so I can play it on my PS3. I also tried mkv2vob, but I get the same error, “Could not parse Mkv file” in the tool. This ultimately leads me to believe that DVDFab encodes MKV in a particular way that works for playback, but is not read by other programs allowing you to alter at a later time.

I haven’t tried muxing the main movie with the subtitles yet, since I am tring to figure out the best way to store the backups with the best video and audio quality, will taking advantage of the great compression H264 has to offer. Try ripping a BR and you will realize that it is a whole lot more challenging and takes 10 times longer to encode the files.

I am using Ripbot to rip a disc and convert it right not to MKV, so I will let you know how that works out. M2TS is accepted by PS3, but it is only Stereo, and I want 5.1. This process takes for ever, even on a very powerful computer.

DVDFab (Platinum/Gold/HD Decrypter) (Option: Mobile) 5.2.3.0:

• New: Increased conversion speed for “DVD to Mobile” greatly. (DVDFab Mobile Option)

It did seem faster. Unfortunately, the MKV authoring problem is still there. Again, if I remux and override the timing with tsMuxer then I get a playable file.