Verified BUG in DVR-212/212D firmware 1.24

vbimport

MCSE shows duplicate strategies for Verbatim MCC-004-00 discs - one with write speeds and one blank, for Pioneer firmware for the DVR-212/212D.

Further down in the list there is another MID listed twice, with BOTH blank.

What is the reason for this, and is it safe to delete the blank MCC-004-00 one?

I ask because sometimes my DVR-212 will show all the write speeds through 18X for my MCC-004-00 media and other times it ONLY offers 4X. If I try another disc in the spindle, I can get back to all write speeds. All have the same codes in the hub (ZD5136-DVR-T47D) and the same stamped number, so this makes no sense. The only thing I can guess is that sometimes my drive’s firmware is referring to the strategy with all write speeds (and therefore offers them), and others it refers to the blank one and “defaults” to 4X.

Did MCSE insert this blank one when it patched my firmware (to remove riplock and enable bitsetting)?

I’ve attached a clip that shows this.

Also, is it possible to change HOW a particular media is written? I ask this because despite the fact that the DVR-212 is SUPPOSED to write MKM-001 media at 6X CLV (like my older DVR-111 drives do), it instead uses ZCLV - with 4X only for the first 670 MB, and then switching to 6X, and if the second layer is full, I can watch it switch from 6X to 4X as it gets closer to the hub.

See http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/45/104/442/DVR-212/index.html for verification that it is supposed to write DVD+R DL at 6X CLV.

What I hate about ZCLV is the “banding” that appears on the media.

So, can I make my DVR-212 write MKM-001 at 6X CLV with MCSE? It does MCC-004 media at 6X CLV, so it should be possible, and my older Pioneer 111 drives write both of these at 6X CLV with beautiful results!

[QUOTE=FordMan;2026585]MCSE shows duplicate strategies for Verbatim MCC-004-00 discs - one with write speeds and one blank, for Pioneer firmware for the DVR-212/212D.

Further down in the list there is another MID listed twice, with BOTH blank.

What is the reason for this, and is it safe to delete the blank MCC-004-00 one?[/QUOTE]

OK, I’ve verified that this is a BUG in the Pioneer firmware. I opened the original 1.24 firmware with a hex editor and there are TWO instances of MCC_____004, but there is not for MCC_____003 and other strategies.

So, which is the best way to fix this? Should I Hexedit the first instance of the MID to something like “MCC_____009,” which presumably doesn’t exist and therefore it will be ignored, or should I replace the blank stragegy with the one below it that has the write speeds? I tried that and noticed that it replaced part of that second MID with the letter “X.” Which is the cleanest way to fix the Pioneer firmware?

Any advice is much appreciated!

fordman

See above [I](which has been merged from another crosspost by imkidd57)[/I] for details.

Basically there are two instances of of the MCC_____004 MID (MCC-004-00) in the firmware, one with no specified speeds and the second one with the correct supported speeds. It manifests itself by SOMETIMES (about one third of the time in my experience so far) refusing to allow the media to be burned at other than 4X speed.

This is true for both the DVR-212 and DVR-212D firmware version 1.24. It was also in version 1.22…

So, what is the best way to fix - use a Binary editor to change the first instance of the MID (with no speed info) to something that doesn’t exist, or to replace the blank one with the strategy for the second one, which then deactivates the second one?

[QUOTE=FordMan;2027205]So, what is the best way to fix - use a Binary editor to change the first instance of the MID (with no speed info) to something that doesn’t exist, or to replace the blank one with the strategy for the second one, which then deactivates the second one?[/QUOTE]
I’m not sure how Pioneer firmwares do the MID detection but since they are using the same chipset that NEC/Optiarc drives have this task could be similar. On NEC the search starts with the last entry and then goes back to the first until a matching entry was found. So if there are multiple entries with the same MID only the last one would count.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2027270]I’m not sure how Pioneer firmwares do the MID detection but since they are using the same chipset that NEC/Optiarc drives have this task could be similar. On NEC the search starts with the last entry and then goes back to the first until a matching entry was found. So if there are multiple entries with the same MID only the last one would count.[/QUOTE]

I guess I don’t follow from your description - if the NEC starts at the last and then moves toward the first until a matching entry is found, wouldn’t it use the earlier one? Or when you said “last one” did you mean the last one encountered (toward the first entry), as aoppsed to “last entry” that you referred to first? Regardless, the firmware seems to be pointing to the latter MCC-004 entry about 2/3 of the time, giving me all the proper speed choices, and then the first entry the remaining 1/3 of the time, showing/allowing only 4X burning…strange indeed.

Anyway, I have loaded DVR-111 firmware in MCSE and can confirm that there is only one MCC_____004 entry there, as well as others. I’d have to do more checking to see if they made the same error there.

So, do you have a recommendation on how to fix this until Pioneer sees fit to fix it? I figure I can do the replace strategy in MCSE, replacing the blank with the good entry, deactivating the bad one, or use a binary editor and change the MID of the bad entry to some fictitious value…the MID at least seems to be plain text.

[QUOTE=FordMan;2027349]I guess I don’t follow from your description - if the NEC starts at the last and then moves toward the first until a matching entry is found, wouldn’t it use the earlier one? Or when you said “last one” did you mean the last one encountered (toward the first entry), as aoppsed to “last entry” that you referred to first? Regardless, the firmware seems to be pointing to the latter MCC-004 entry about 2/3 of the time, giving me all the proper speed choices, and then the first entry the remaining 1/3 of the time, showing/allowing only 4X burning…strange indeed.[/QUOTE]
I guess I didn’t explain myself clearly enough. Let’s make an example with a firmware having the following MIDs stored in the same order

1. “XXX”
  2. “MCC004”
  3. “YYY”
  4. “MCC004”
  5. "ZZZ"
    and the disc you inserted is an “MCC004”. The firmware first compares the MID with “ZZZ”. That one doesn’t match so it goes back to number 4. It compares “MCC004” with “MCC004” and bingo - we found a matching value, so there’s no need to search any further. The entries at 1, 2 and 3 are not even checked anymore. However that’s what it’s like on NEC/Optiarc firmware - I have not checked Pioneer.

Not sure what exactly is causing your problem and how it can be fixed but I highly doubt that the drive is sometimes using the first entry and sometimes the second one. With the same input data, a given software (and a firmware is nothing else) should always give the same output.

Sounds to me like a “verified bug resolved”. ???

There is nothing to fix. The firmware MID table scanner takes the first match when searching for MCC_____004, which is the correct entry. The bad entry is not used.

@ FordMan,

I suspect your problem with some of your MCC004 Media being able to display all the write speeds through 18X speed and some of your MCC004 Media only displaying 4X speed is that there is some manufacturing flaw in the particular MCC004 Media that is only displaying 4X speed. In this day and age of mass manufacturing and the slip in quality control on all fronts there is a distinct possibility that is what is happing with the variances you are experiencing with your MCC004 Media. If your particular problematic MCC004 Media displaying this variance is manufactured in any country other than Japan or Singapore that is what I suspect is happing especially if this problematic MCC004 Media is manufactured in India. In sort I suspect your problem does not lie in your Pioneer DVR-212D Drive or some ‘Bug’ in Pioneer version 1.24 Firmware but in the poor quality control in your particular MCC004 Media.

Regards,
bjkg

@ FordMan,

[Please review my reply to your so-called “Bug” in Pioneer DVR-212 Firmware in your recent posting in the “MediaCodeSpeedEdit support for Pioneer DVD-Writers” posting thread ->

[I]//link redundant after merging of posts//[/I]

I suspect your problem is not some so-clalled Firmware “Bug” problem but a MCC004 Media quality control problem. Refer to my above referenced Forum posting for details.]

You know it gets difficult to keep track of Forum Member problems when the Forum Member starts makes different multiple postings concerning the same problem in multiple postings threads. That’s why the Forum has a Double Posting rule.

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks bjkg: apologies for the edit and hope you can all make sense of this after the merging of the relevant posts.

@FordMan: lets keep it all here please :wink:

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2027573]Thanks bjkg: apologies for the edit and hope you can all make sense of this after the merging of the relevant posts.

@FordMan: lets keep it all here please ;)[/QUOTE]

Sure, I made a separate thread because it seemed it wasn’t getting any attention buried in the MCSE sticky thread…

However, I’m not sure it should even be considered a double post. I first posted it in the MCSE thread thinking it could be a problem. After I verified the double entry in the firmware itself, I posted it as a new topic and merely pointed back to the MCSE thread for details…

[QUOTE=ala42;2027500]There is nothing to fix. The firmware MID table scanner takes the first match when searching for MCC_____004, which is the correct entry. The bad entry is not used.[/QUOTE]

ala42,

I love your program!

However, I must respectfully disagree with your assertion that there is nothing to fix, unless you mean in MCSE. I agree that the MCSE-patched firmware is not the source of the problem, so your program is performing its intended function flawlessly.

However, there is indeed something that needs fixed in the firmware, unless you know of some reason there is a duplicate and blank entry for MCC-004 firmware in this particular Pioneer model, or why I only experienced this issue with this media, and not the MCC-003 or MKM-001 media that I also use. It seems more than a coincidence.

From what you wrote that “firmware MID table scanner takes the first match…which is the correct entry.” Is that because it scans from end to beginning like Liggy suggested? If not, then the first in the table would appear to be the one with no speed info.

Also, can you explain why the EXACT SAME DISC that only offers 4X in my DVR-212 offers all the write speeds in my DVR-111? See the attached as proof. This was after inserting two discs that showed all available speeds for the DVR-212 in the ImgBurn windows, then the third (pictured) showed only 4X. This is in line with my observations that it occurs one-third of the time. ImgBurn clearly identified that disc as MCC-004, so shouldn’t the DVR-212 be reporting back all available speeds that corresponed to that MID?

So, recorder with no duplicate entry works correctly every time, and recorder with duplicate, blank entry works sporadically. Coincidence? Not likely. Deductive reasoning says there is a cause-and-effect relationship here.

By the way this is Verbatim MCC-004 media made in Taiwan, which is known to be good…

So, if everyone else is convinced there is no fix to the firmware needed and that the duplicate, blank entry is OK since it should never be referenced, then I’ll just have to choose one of my suggestions to patch it and see how it goes. Otherwise, I’ll keep running into this problem.

Note that this has occurred both when the recorder was flashed with DVR-212D 1.24 official firmware patched for speed and bitsetting (but not RPC1) with MCSE, and then crossflashed to a DVR-212 with DVRFlash and the kernel provided here, and then flashed directly to official DVR-212 1.24 firmware also patched for read speed and bitsetting with MCSE…

[QUOTE=bjkg;2027517]@ FordMan,

I suspect your problem with some of your MCC004 Media being able to display all the write speeds through 18X speed and some of your MCC004 Media only displaying 4X speed is that there is some manufacturing flaw in the particular MCC004 Media that is only displaying 4X speed. In this day and age of mass manufacturing and the slip in quality control on all fronts there is a distinct possibility that is what is happing with the variances you are experiencing with your MCC004 Media. If your particular problematic MCC004 Media displaying this variance is manufactured in any country other than Japan or Singapore that is what I suspect is happing especially if this problematic MCC004 Media is manufactured in India. In sort I suspect your problem does not lie in your Pioneer DVR-212D Drive or some ‘Bug’ in Pioneer version 1.24 Firmware but in the poor quality control in your particular MCC004 Media.

Regards,
bjkg[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree in this case - the media is Verbatim MCC-004 made in Taiwan with identical codes at the disc hub, and ImgBurn is able to correctly able to identify it as MCC-004. From that point, the recorder should match that MID to the complete list of available set of write speeds. Any variation in quality would be seen in the burn, which is not an issue here.

So, its as simple as the following:

1. Program (ImgBurn in this case) polls the recorder for the MID.
  2. Recorder responds (correctly) with the MID and offers all available speeds associated with that MID
  3. Program allows user to select any one of those speeds.

So, given that that EXACT SAME disc shows all available speeds in other recorders points to an issue with step 2. The recorder is NOT responding correctly with the speeds associated with that MID. Given that the recorder has an erroneous extra and blank entry for this media (I haven’t encountered it with other media in the same recorder), then it is obviously related.

I’d be interested in anyone else encounters this, but in the absence of an official fix from Pioneer, I’ll be experimenting on my own…

Regards,
FordMan

[QUOTE=chef;2027495]Sounds to me like a “verified bug resolved”. ???[/QUOTE]

Read my later posts and decide for yourself. As far as I’m concerned, it is not resolved…

I’d like to see the FULL MID first.

@ FordMan

As Forum Member chef I would also like to see the full complete MID information of both the MCC004 Media that displays all the write speeds through 18X speed and also the full complete MID information of the MCC004 Media that only displays 4X speed.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=chef;2027703]I’d like to see the FULL MID first.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean by a full MID.

The MID is MCC-004-00, as shown in the posted pics, or MCC_____004 as used by the firmware and MCSE.

If you mean the hub code, here you go:

All 3 have the “laser etched code” ZD5136-DVR-T47D

Then the stamped code in the plastic ring of the discs are as follows:

Disc 1 (all speeds allowed): 6101E2063-07294E01

Disc 2 (all speeds allowed): 6101E2064-05917E00

Disc 3 (only 4X allowed): 6101E2065-05916E00

So, I see the regular numerical progression of the first part of the 2nd number, but then the second part seems to vary greatly.

As I stated before, all Discs, including Disc 3 allowed all speeds in my DVR-111 drive.

So, any ideas? I plan to run a patch to disable the blank entry in the firmware and will see if Disc 3 is then recognized at all speeds…

I think you just have a bad drive, FordMan, if it’s not recognizing those discs dependably. I’ve had this happen with an LG 4166 (getting only 4X speed with MCC004) and promptly returned it. Test it in another PC (preferably with another SATA controller) and if it does the same, RMA it.

Edit: You don’t happen to be using AHCI mode on your SATA do you?

@ FordMan,

Suggest using DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) software utility program.

Insert a MCC004 Media disk in you DVR-212 Drive and clicking on the Media Info icon located on the top DVDInfo Menu Bar and a “Media Information Page” is displayed which provides complete Media MID information. Then click on the Clipboard icon located on the top DVDInfo Menu Bar and this will load the Media Information Page to your Clipboard and you will then be able to include this Media Information Page data information in your Forum Posting. Do this procedure for both a MCC004 Media disk that displays all the write speeds through 18X speed and also for a MCC004 Media disk that only displays 4X speed.

Regards,
bjkg