Verification errors at 94% after burning DVDs

I have Optiarc DVD RW AD 7173A.

Here’s the problem: since the day before yesterday 90% of all my DVD burns fail, regardless of the software I’m using (Nero, Imgburn or CDBurner XP) or the writing speed.

I’ll post a log later, but roughly the situation looks like this:
some heavy buffering during the whole burning process regardless of how many processes are running (this used to always happen before but never caused me any problems), -> near the end of the burning process there is some pretty long buffering going on (again, this used to happen, no problems before), -> “burn process completed successfully”, -> verification -> “error reading sector XXX”, “error reading sector YYY” around 80-smth% -> Made some software changes -> Same thing, but now the errors always seem to happen at the 94% stage.

I must say I used two obscure brands of DVD-R discs (only 2 out of 22 discs burned fine) PLUS three Verbatim discs which all burned successfully, BUT I used to burn obscure crappy DVD s before, and the failure rate was very low, so why can this be happening now?

I tried several writing speeds and three kinds of burning software.
I read somewhere that Nero could interfere with other burning programmes, so I completely uninstalled Nero, but it didn’t help.
I also downloaded the most recent firmware for my drive, ran a “Reset DMA” utility, and even used a lens-cleaning disc. :-/ Nothing changed.

Did anyone have similar experience?

First off need more information such as what burning software are you using and OS the more information you can give the better, also we have DVD burning forums here on cd freaks under the movie copy headings and the program you are using also you answered your own question Crappy Media

I must say I used two obscure brands of DVD-R discs (only 2 out of 22 discs burned fine) PLUS three Verbatim discs which all burned successfully, BUT I used to burn obscure crappy DVD s before, and the failure rate was very low, so why can this be happening now?

The crappy stuff doesn’t work, but the Verbatims do, hmmm. I suggest using Verbatim.

I used Nero 6.603, CD Burner XP 4.2.4 and ImgBurn 2.4.0.0.

OS is XP 2002 SP 1.

I’m not sure as to which forum I should post that in, so if the moderator feels like this should be moved - please go ahead.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2306243]The crappy stuff doesn’t work, but the Verbatims do, hmmm. I suggest using Verbatim.[/QUOTE]

The crappy stuff used to work 95% fine before, not 95% crappy like now. I’m wondering about the change.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2306243]The crappy stuff doesn’t work, but the Verbatims do, hmmm. I suggest using Verbatim.[/QUOTE]
Open and shut case.

Those crappy/obscure discs you are burning with … turned out to be crappy.

Chalk this up to experience, and don’t buy crap media … it’s waste of money … worse … it’s a waste of your valuable time.

The “crappy” stuff are VS and SmartTrack.

And can somebody read the rest of the post, pretty please?

Its always about the crappy media.

Post a logfile here then.

Here’s what I, and every other experienced CDFreaks has read - translated for your convenience.

[QUOTE=shalilla;2306234]I have Optiarc DVD RW AD 7173A.]
90% of all my DVD burns fail, regardless of:

[ul]
[li]the software I’m using (Nero, Imgburn or CDBurner XP) or[/li][li]the writing speed.[/li][li]completely uninstalled Nero, but it didn’t help.[/li][li]the most recent firmware for my drive[/li][li] ran a “Reset DMA” utility[/li][li]used a lens-cleaning disc[/li][/ul]

The results:

[ul]
[li]I used two obscure brands of DVD-R discs (only 2 out of 22 discs burned fine)[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]three Verbatim discs which all burned successfully.[/li][/ul]
I used to burn obscure crappy DVD s before, and the failure rate was very low, so why can this be happening now?
Did anyone have similar experience?[/QUOTE]
Obviously the obscure DVD’s you used before were better quality than the crap you are using now.
The vebatims burn fine, but the crap media doesn’t … Duh. This should be obvious, even to a newbie.
Every newbie learns this pretty quickly, you’re not alone.
Here’s hoping that you didn’t “splurge” on a bulk “deal” on these crap discs.

[QUOTE=shalilla;2306248]The crappy stuff used to work 95% fine before, not 95% crappy like now. I’m wondering about the change.[/QUOTE]
Obviously the media is worse quality than the stuff you had before. Have you even checked the MID’s of the old discs, and the new (crappy) discs?

At any rate, I wouldn’t trust those 2x crappy media to last more than a few hours. They’ll probably be completely unreadable within a month :iagree: With a fail rate that high, successful burns are negligible, and can be considered a statistical anomaly, and can be safely ignored.

[QUOTE=shalilla;2306254]The “crappy” stuff are VS and SmartTrack.

And can somebody read the rest of the post, pretty please?[/QUOTE]
Why would you assume we haven’t?
It’s an textbook case of newbie bought budget media off the back of a camel & expected first class quality with chaffeur, and is upset when he just got camel spit.

Please post you log … everyone on this forum in driven by the need to drop everything they are doing, so they can read the burn log, and prove to you that you’ve bought unusable media, despite the fact it’s obviously the problem.

“Newbie” “newbie” “newbie”.
But of course I admit you’re an ace, although I doubt it you’ve been using your computer(s) for a longer time than I do.

everyone on this forum in driven by the need to drop everything they are doing

You don’t have to. Really. I wonder why you had to type yourself out twice. And have a very nice day too.

Guys and gals, there’s no reason making this into a “newbie this and newbie that” thread. I am sure all people here mean well when they try to help out :slight_smile:

Shalilla it does seem that the media are the culprit; even though they had not been in the past. We live in difficult times, and quality is sometimes not the first thought after coffee media manufacturers have in the morning when they wake up, unfortunately :stuck_out_tongue: