Verbatim: which MediaCode is better?

hi,

I have just bought some Verbatim CD and DVD media, and they are different from the ones I bought last time, so I would like to know if the new ones are better or worst than the previous ones.

CD-R: (they both have the same dye)
- old: Made In India / MBI
- new: Made In China / CMC Magnetics Corp.

DVD+R:
- old: Made In Taiwan / MCC-004
- new: Made In India / MCC-004

as I have read in these forums, the difference between MIT and MII DVD+R is nearly insignificant, and they are both MCC-004, so I think they are similar in quality. but the CDs “Made in China” seem suspicious to me…

any help will be apreciated, and sorry if my english is bad, i’m spanish.

thanks!!

In my opinion, the only relevant answer to your question is the one you can supply by testing your new discs and comparing to your old discs.

The variance between batches is probably far bigger than any inherent quality difference between those discs.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2197563]In my opinion, the only relevant answer to your question is the one you can supply by testing your new discs and comparing to your old discs.

The variance between batches is probably far bigger than any inherent quality difference between those discs.[/QUOTE]

thanks for your answer. any other opinions?? most of all I would like to know something about the CDs.

greetings

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2197563]The variance between batches is probably far bigger than any inherent quality difference between those discs.[/QUOTE]
indeed, I’ve had some very good Prodisc MCC03RG20, and some very bad CMC MCC03RG20 :a

I’m kinda scared to buy some more, and apparently Verb don’t do TYG03 anymore :confused:

[QUOTE=diwit;2199134]thanks for your answer. any other opinions?? most of all I would like to know something about the CDs.

greetings[/QUOTE]I would not burn the CD-R’s faster than 24x. 8x or 16x would probably be the best speed for them.

I think in a good drive, anywhere from 16x-32x is a nice speed. 16x is my personaly favorite but I don’t get much improvement burning slower than 16x, especially on phthalocyanine discs.

[QUOTE=Bob;2199240]I would not burn the CD-R’s faster than 24x. 8x or 16x would probably be the best speed for them.[/QUOTE]

I also heeded that recommendation for quite a while until I ran across some Sigma-branded 48x MCC AZO discs. They would only have acceptable jitter at 40/48x on an LTR-52327S CD-RW drive. Burning at 16x/24x/32x resulted in jitter > 15% (some were max 20% jitter!). Must be a drive/media/enclosure issue, because my CMC and Ritek CD-Rs burn only acceptably at 16x/24x on the same drive. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is one of those times that scanning instantly affects decisions, but I’m still wary of those MCCs at 40x. I better keep in mind to scan those again in a month. :o

[QUOTE=evo69;2200437]I also heeded that recommendation for quite a while until I ran across some Sigma-branded 48x MCC AZO discs. They would only have acceptable jitter at 40/48x on an LTR-52327S CD-RW drive. Burning at 16x/24x/32x resulted in jitter > 15% (some were max 20% jitter!). Must be a drive/media/enclosure issue, because my CMC and Ritek CD-Rs burn only acceptably at 16x/24x on the same drive. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is one of those times that scanning instantly affects decisions, but I’m still wary of those MCCs at 40x. I better keep in mind to scan those again in a month. :o[/QUOTE]yeah DrageMester nailed it pretty much with his reply. I was just giving an idea of where to start out.

who is main distributor in europe for cd-r,dvd-r

so, could we say in any way that CMC is better than MBI?? or are they just about the same quality??

thanks!!

[QUOTE=diwit;2203918]so, could we say in any way that CMC is better than MBI?? or are they just about the same quality??

thanks!![/QUOTE]For the 3 past years we found CMC-made Verbs more consistent in quality than the MBI-made ones. But these days, with MBI having improved and CMC apparently lowering their standards, I think it will depend on the batch more than anything else. So as far as you’re concerned, it’s a matter of luck I guess. :bigsmile:

BTW, could a mod change the title of the thread? It’s rather misleading… :slight_smile: