Verbatim vs. TDK CD-R w/ PX-716 1.05

vbimport

Here is a C1/C2 test of Verbatim CD-R 52x burned at 32x (I couldn’t get Nero to give me a faster option) and a test of TDK CD-R 48x also burned at 32x. Same data using PX-716A with firmware version 1.05. The TDK is actually CMC Magnetics. Verbatim gave a much better result. (I know. CDs aren’t as exciting as DVDs. :slight_smile: )

Did you try fw 1.06?

I haven’t installed 1.06 yet. That will be my next experiment. I just did a Write Transfer test in PlexTools for the Verbatim and disabled PoweRec. The simulated burn looked fine all the way up to 48x. Why does PoweRec limit this media to 32x when it is rated at 52x and seems to do OK at 48x?

Why does PoweRec limit this media to 32x when it is rated at 52x and seems to do OK at 48x?
Same question unanswered for dvd folks too. :slight_smile:

Could you burn the same compilation with 1.04u firmware?

1.04u gave me serious problems. It would lock up my computer whenever I tried to burn a CD, so I reverted back to 1.04 until I installed 1.05. Apparently, Plextor fixed the problem in 1.05. I’m assuming 1.06 will be OK for me as well.

OK. I installed firmware version 1.06 and here are the results. Same data using Verbatim CD-R 52x and TDK (CMC Magnetics) CD-R 48x. I was able to get both burns to go at 48x and both burns were better than those using 1.05. The Verbatim is still better than the TDK.

Eric