Verbatim vs Sony

vbimport

The latest poll shows that Sony blanks are more popular than Verbatims. Media Code Poll

Yet people keep on recommending Verbatim and say nothing about Sony as seen in threads like this. Local stores out of good media?

Why isn’t Sony recommended very often? Price and availability?

Hi sunyd, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

I can only guess at other people’s motivation for voting and recommending blank media. Perhaps most of the people who vote in the polls don’t like to recommend the media they use when asked?

Verbatim media is much more easily available than Sony media around here and in the places I buy from online. Price is usually also higher for Sony media in the few shops I see it.

I’m far more likely to recommend Verbatim media since I have much more experience in using it compared to Sony media.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I tend to recommend both most of the time - just to give people a couple of quality choices, although I love Verbatim 16x +R (MCC004). Both Verbatim and Sony DVD R media is good media IMO.

There might also be a political factor as some harbor ill will against Sony for their leadership role in pushing DRM and Copy Protection hurdles to the public. While Sony makes or contracts out many fine products, in some people’s mind, not buying a Sony product sends a message.

No, the real reason is that at one time, people closely identified Sony media with being branded Taiyo Yuden or Made in Japan at Sony’s own plant, and once that stopped, people stopped thinking about Sony. It was a psychological forgetting, based on disappointment and nostalgia. Once many of the branded medias that used to be Made in Japan stopped producing media in Japan, they began to be looked upon with indifference at best, and disgust at worst. Only Verbatim has been able to maintain it’s reputation over time, being a media that was once primarily made in Singapore (a place revered as much as Japan), and then becoming a mainly outsourced media made in Taiwan, and now even India. It’s not that people don’t think that Sony is good, but they just haven’t put the effort into really testing it to the point where they can trust it not just for everyday use, but archival use. That’s another unspoken issue as well. When people recommend media wholeheartedly, what they’re recommending is what they think is the best archival grade media, even if they don’t say that explicitly. The inertia from Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim’s reputation has always caused Sony/Daxon media to be marginalized, even though it’s a lot better than given credit for, and could possibly be trusted as an archival media. The other huge issue is compatibility. There are situations where Sony media will not burn that well in some burners. The reason that people keep sounding like broken records in recommending Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim is that over time, it has come to be a kind of accepted wisdom that they are the safest choices for media, meaning that even the crappiest burner on the planet can burn a TY or Verb disc halfway decently. Sony is good media, but not all burners handle it as well. The last factor is harder to quantify, but basically, as Sony has switched from producing media themselves in Japan (yes, there used to be a LOT of it), to producing media in Taiwan with the help of Daxon, to now starting to switch their production to Malaysia, people have begun to feel less certain about Sony media, not that they think it’s bad or the quality has dropped, but they don’t feel that they know the media like they used to, and certainly not well enough to always recommend it. It’s going to take some time for people to get used to the new MIM Sony identity, before it jumps onto everyone’s recommended list again.

With all that said, the original poster does have a point. Sony is the one company out there who’s manufacturing process is almost the same as Verbatim, and in some ways better than Verbatim, and yet Sony get’s no respect. Unlike Verbatim, Sony works with pretty much only one manufacturer for 99% of it’s media, and that company is Daxon (only a small 1% or so is produced by Lead Data). Up until very recently, Sony media was pretty much only made in one country, but now it’s two, however with Verbatim, the number of countries is now at three and who knows where next. Just like Verbatim, no matter who makes Sony media or what country it’s made in, the media is made with Sony materials, using Sony specifications, and with Sony media codes. If anything, Sony is the relatively more “knowable” and trustworthy media.

A lot of different answers. Very interesting. It seems like all of you are right in one way or another.

[QUOTE=negritude;2164983]The other huge issue is compatibility. There are situations where Sony media will not burn that well in some burners. The reason that people keep sounding like broken records in recommending Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim is that over time, it has come to be a kind of accepted wisdom that they are the safest choices for media, meaning that even the crappiest burner on the planet can burn a TY or Verb disc halfway decently. Sony is good media, but not all burners handle it as well.[/QUOTE]

I think this is the best answer: people like to make recommendations without any qualifiers. Sony discs may not work well in some burners. When they do work, they’re good. Sounds like I should buy Verbatims at Best Buy for my crappy Matshita UJ-845.

I agree with [B]negritude[/B], Sony is good media. Since I can not buy any Verbatim discs because they are not available in my area, I tried the Sony media and they are very good, even my crappy samsung drive burns them good.

i do not recommend Sony media because it is highly overpriced in my area. :Z

[quote=sunyd;2165079]Sounds like I should buy Verbatims at Best Buy for my crappy Matshita UJ-845.[/quote] If your UJ845 is anything like my UJ-840S then it’s extremely picky about DVD media.

For what it’s worth, the safest bet for my Matshita UJ-840S is Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T03) media. For other DVD media it’s rarely safe to burn at maximum speed (8x) and sometimes not even 6x.

[QUOTE=sunyd;2165079]

people like to make recommendations without any qualifiers. [/QUOTE]

I don’t think that’s true, though it has been known to happen.

I wouldn’t say “without any qualifiers” without knowing what burners the discs have been used on by the person recommending them.

@Troy - hehe, it’s overpriced here too :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=troy512;2165196]i do not recommend Sony media because it is highly overpriced in my area. :Z[/QUOTE]

I’ve looked through websites of local retailers and it seems like Sony media is not widely sold. Verbatim is sold just about everywhere so it’s easier to find good deals.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2165236]If your UJ845 is anything like my UJ-840S then it’s extremely picky about DVD media.

For what it’s worth, the safest bet for my Matshita UJ-840S is Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T03) media. For other DVD media it’s rarely safe to burn at maximum speed (8x) and sometimes not even 6x.[/QUOTE]

TY is only sold in 100-pack cakeboxes. That’s way too much. Is there any place that sells them in 50-packs?

I just realized one other thing. In the old days, here in the states, when Sony media was mostly manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, we used to get a LOT of sales on it at places like the Staples retail chain, and in addition to that, Staples and Office Depot used to both carry the media (in addition to Best Buy, Sears, and K-Mart), and there were a lot of coupons being distributed, and we were doing lots of price matching, so many of us would be able to buy Sony media very cheaply. Sony was VERY popular back then, and it was affordable. Since then, the coupons have dried up, the sales are less frequent, and the number of outlets carrying Sony has diminished. So that would explain why even in places where Sony is easily found, it’s no longer as favorable as it used to be.

In other words, Sony media used to be more popular not just because it was made by Taiyo Yuden, but because it could be obtained relatively cheaply. Now that Sony is just another brand on the shelf, and no longer has a pricing advantage over Verbatim, it’s sort of slid into semi-obscurity among CDFreaks.

[quote=sunyd;2165504]TY is only sold in 100-pack cakeboxes. That’s way too much. Is there any place that sells them in 50-packs?[/quote] The answer wold depend on where in the world you live.

In Europe you can find Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T03) media branded as Verbatim 16x DVD+R marked as “Made in Japan” in 35pc and 50pc cakeboxes. Only some of the Verbatim 16x DVD+R are Taiyo Yudens, however, namely those marked “Made in Japan”.

I’m not sure about availability of YUDEN000 T03 in package sizes less than 100 in e.g. North America.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2171702]I’m not sure about availability of YUDEN000 T03 in package sizes less than 100 in e.g. North America.[/QUOTE]

Rima only has T03 in 100-pack cakeboxes, so that would be an indicator of what the general market looks like. In fact, I notice that most TY media at Rima is now only in 100-packs, so it seems like 50-packs are being phased out.

I suspect that distributors are no longer wasting their time with the kind of small orders that 50-packs encourage, and instead want you to buy at least 100 at a time. Frankly, if you’re into quality, and you’re not shopping at your local store for the random media on the shelves, then buying the good stuff in 100-packs makes perfect sense.

[quote=DrageMester;2171702]In Europe you can find Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T03) media branded as Verbatim 16x DVD+R marked as “Made in Japan” in 35pc and 50pc cakeboxes. Only some of the Verbatim 16x DVD+R are Taiyo Yudens, however, namely those marked “Made in Japan”.[/quote] That would be [B]25[/B]pc and 50pc cakeboxes of course. :doh: