Verbatim Vinyl CD-R: A search for Metal AZO

vbimport

So I’m looking to get and stock up on some Verbatim Metal AZO CD-R since they are hard to find and I found some here: http://www.nortsandones.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=492

They say the discs use the “Patented AZO dye” so I’m guessing thats Metal Azo. I search the verbatim site and came up with this.

http://www.verbatim.com.au/productbrochures/CD_2006.pdf

Scroll down to inkjet printable CD-R and it says: 94550 DataLifePlus Digital Vinyl CD-R 80min 700MB Inkjet Printable 50pk Spindle 16x

The numbers are the same as what’s on the website (94550). I emailed the business to check if they are in fact Metal Azo discs.

If they are i’ll whip out my old Ricoh MP7200A which used to love burning those @4x :bow:

Has anyone tried these discs and are they still good quality like they used to be back in the day?

I guess you could find this input of mine irrelevant (sorry about that), but aren’t the Verbatim “pastels” (Taiyo Yuden) just as good, waaaaay cheaper, and more easily available? :confused:

I’m afraid they’re not, when it comes to the quality.
If you get the Made in China or Made in Taiwan discs: You’ve won the lottery.
If you get Made in India discs, which is nowadays more likely: Sorry, try again. Those aren’t better than any run-of-the-mill Ritek CD-R.

[B]Francksoy:[/B] I’m not sure whether pastels are available at all outside of Europe.
Besides, the dark-blue Metal Azo dye is cool (and retro-style too). And coolness counts :smiley:

:o Didn’t know that…

Besides, the dark-blue Metal Azo dye is cool (and retro-style too). And coolness counts :smiley:
LOL the coolness factor. Yeah, I also go for it sometimes. The pastels may not have a dark blue dye, and are nothing special (quality-wise) compared to standard unbranded TY CDRs, but they have a this cooool 50’s-like logo and colors…

You’re referring to the metal azo discs, right?

Yes. I’m sure they were better when they were still made in Singapore and Taiwan and not in China or India.
You beat me by a few seconds with the reply, you know? :stuck_out_tongue:

The pastel color layer does make a (small) difference, although it doesn’t cover all of the surface.
[B]Dolphinius_Rex[/B] once mentioned that some shiny silver TYs’ reflective layers started to have holes only months after the burn. Now I don’t think this is specifically TY’s fault, it’s just that shiny silver CD-R in general should not be recommended, especially not for everyday usage.

This explaining that. :slight_smile:

You may be interested to know that a short while ago [B]dakhaas/RJW[/B] told me that he has a few 16x CMC-made metal Azo CD-Rs that are giving him trouble after a number of years years… he might be able to tell you more.

Personally, I’m convinced that TY is only way to go for CD-Rs. If you were to find some older ones, that would be even better.

Don’t forget the old TDK CD Media (made by TDK). Almost impossible to get these days, but nothing comes even close as far as quality and longlivety ist concerned, not even TY (example).

Fortunately, I still have ~35 discs left (TDK 8x 650MB CD-Rs), and only use them for very special audio recordings. They simply don’t make CD media like that anymore.

Unfortunately, the 52x-rated Verbatim Digital Vinyl CD-R’s are not Metal AZO at all - but are just plain phthalocyanine CD-R’s with a fancy label, usually manufactured by CMC Magnetics in Taiwan with CMC codes.

My old (< 2003) TY, TDK and Maxell are all in the same league in terms of both burning quality and stability (simply perfect, no degradation whatsoever, just as new!). But this is kinda useless info for [B]cd_pirate[/B] I guess.

Well, the verbatim site said they were lifetime warranty and 16x not 52x so I don’t think they are CMC pthalo discs.

KG, you said the quality is not the same? If so I might just buy a 50 pack and not anymore until I have confirmed what their quality is like. Remember, I’m using a Ricoh MP7200A here, it used to burn them pretty hard f you know what I mean. Putting under a strong light it looked more burnt (if that makes any sense at all :stuck_out_tongue: ) than what my LG4167B or Pioneer111L did. The PI was also never above 2000 total with those.

But we shall see I guess.

Btw Franc, I have heaps of TY so I don’t care for Verb pastels, plus I have never seen them anywhere in Aus :flower:

Thanks for all the info anyways everyone :kiss:

I still have some Verbatim DataLife Plus 16x Made in Taiwan with deep, Pepsi blue recording layers. I remember my Walkman (ooh with AM and FM, hot stuff back then) simply disliked this media.

I think they’re circa 2000. Are they still good or should I toss them?

Manufacturer : Verbatim
Code : 97m34s21f
Disc Type : CD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : Dye Type 1: Long Strategy (Cyanine, AZO)
Recording Speed : n/a
Capacity : 79:59.74
703 MB

They are excellent, and if you really want to get rid of them, send them to me. :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree with those above who say that Verbatim Metal Azo is good media. Only problem is, new drives aren’t calibrated for it. Burn these only on your NEC ND-2500A/ND-2510A (at 16x) or Yamaha CRW-F1 for the best results.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

The Plextor Premium loves those discs also.

Latest 52x-rated Verbatim Digital Vinyl CD-R’s are Super AZO Made in India.
Burn quality is good.

I just bought 52X Verbatim Digital Vinyl CD-R (10 Jewel Cases) last month at DSE. I’m disappointed to find that it’s phthalocyanine and made in TaiWan.