Verbatim vinly+liteon52246S

vbimport

check out the results of both the liteon and ricoh when burning these discs. Here

wow, the liteon @ 8x results were pretty bad. i also notice feurio gave these an A+, so i wonder what these grades are based on. have u tried burning at higher speeds?

well, it seems that the LiteOn burned well one disc and very badly another… any reason for that?
The Ricoh seems to work well with them

I wonder if Verbatim is taking old CDR stock and slapping the vinyl layer on them?
also, do the ones with excessive errors have any unusual appearance to the burned side?

Yep, I’ve been having very similar problems with my 52246S. I got loads and loads of C2 throughout the disc, and unreadables near the end at 16x which is what I think Verbatim recommends as max speed. Updating to 6S0C helped a little, but I still got quite a few C2 errors toward the end.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
I wonder if Verbatim is taking old CDR stock and slapping the vinyl layer on them?
also, do the ones with excessive errors have any unusual appearance to the burned side?

yes., the burned side with the liteon @ 8x is dark and swirly. at 4x the disc is much cleaner but still an odd colour. with the ricoh the burns both look much the same and are a very nice blue colour. it looks to burned way better with the ricoh. can you actually see pits and lands? i think i can. always with verbatim metal azo i can see these dots all over the disc. like i said with the ricoh the burns look like the pits are shaped well and burned deeply. however with the liteon they are much larger and very long. any ideas??

I burned @16x around 60min of data to the CD. The recording surface looks pretty good to me. No C2 errors reported by CDSpeed. But not sure about C1 since my TDK (Teac) drive does not support KProbe, cddoc yada yada…

Originally posted by AZImmortal

i wonder what these grades are based on

Originally posted by BoSkin
[B]

Disc Grading System[/B]

There are five different grades covering a wide range of performance: A, B, C, D, and F.

This feature provides a means of instantly evaluating a disc without looking at the
individual data. Here are the criteria used to determine the GRADE. These criteria are somewhat arbitrary, but reflect generally accepted practice in the industry.

GRADE A = AVE BLER over the whole disc less than 6
NO E22 ERRORS
NO E32 ERRORS

GRADE B = AVE BLER over the whole disc less than 51
NO E22 ERRORS
NO E32 ERRORS

GRADE C = AVE BLER over the whole disc less than 101
NO E32 ERRORS
LESS THAN 1000 DROPOUTS

GRADE D = AVE BLER in all ten second periods is less than 220

GRADE F = AVE BLER in any ten second period is greater than 220 or Track Loss
occurred.

Generally, a GRADE A disc represents the best possible quality of disc.
GRADE B is still an excellent disc, but not quite perfect.
GRADES A & B are good discs for any use, including the most stringent CD-ROM uses.
Most CD-ROM publishers do not like to see BLER more than 50 or any E22 or E32
errors. Therefore, GRADES C through F would be unacceptable for these users.
However, GRADES C through D are still usable discs.

Source > [COLOR=indigo]Clover QA-201 or QA-201 Instruction Manual[/COLOR]

Originally posted by cfitz @ CDRLabs

I believe the “+” and “-” indicate the writing strategy (long or short) but will have to get back to you on that.

A negative beta means that, on average, the marks are underpowered ( short ) - Short Strategy Type.

I3 deviation of RF of a disc which is written in Alternative media testing condition described in the chapter 2 of the Orange Book is small, when a length of the I3 write pulse is short . ex. Phthalocyanine type media.

A positive beta means that they are overpowered ( long ) - Long Strategy Type.
I3 deviation of RF of a disc which is written in Alternative media testing condition described in the chapter 2 of the Orange Book is small, when a length of the I3 write pulse is long . ex. Cyanine type media.

See my report on Disc Identification Method & Running Optimum Power Control
published on 04-04-2003 12:42

Thanks BoSkin. I already followed up the post you quoted above with a link to a thread where spath explained the Beta categories, but your link is also very helpful.

cfitz

Originally posted by cfitz

where spath explained the Beta categories
Yes, as a matter of fact, that was his explanation that made me really wonder at that time,
and, as you can see, thanks to it IMO I was sort of succeeded in finding more material on that matter.

Cheers ! :wink: