Verbatim USA and the Datalifeplus brand

I’m sure many have noticed Verbatim’s decreasing use of the Datalife(plus) brand name with its DVD±R media in the US retail market. I shot an email over to Verbatim asking about this, and here is their official response:

Verbatim is in the process of changing our retail packaging to emphasize the Verbatim brand more than sub-brands such as DataLifePlus. All our DVDR products are manufactured with Azo dye (Super Azo or Advanced Azo depending on the specific product) and there has been no change in the rigid specifications and quality control procedures applied to these products. Thank you for your support and interest in our products.

Customer Service
Verbatim Corporation

You will get the same media whether it has DataLifePlus on the label or not, has been that way for DVD’s for as long as they have been selling them.

Not always. There have been times the Datalife (non-plus) has been Ricoh or CMC in the case of the +Rs, in the US.

Which is also true of every other label designation, which was my point. It’s the same media, or rather the same mix of media, regardless of the label.

Not sure I follow you, but regardless, it’s nice to know they’ll be sticking to their “own” media now, although it seems the retail spindles are all Taiwan MCC rather than Singapore :frowning:

Well… I don’t think a CMC Mag R01 disc was ever sold as “datalife plus” brand.
But I have a “datalife” disc with that code.

So the brand provided you some information about what is inside.
e.g. 2.4x +R datalife : CMC or Ricoh
2.4x +R datalife plus : MCC

If you don’t call it a difference, what is?

what’s the diff between Taiwan and Singapore? :confused:

Singapore media is actually made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (that’s where their factory is). Any Verbatim/Mitsubishi media made elsewhere (India, Taiwan) is made by other companies using MCC dye and equipment, but generally the quality of the Singapore media is best.

Is that so? …

Yes… I’ve asked an MBI rep here. He pretty much confirmed that they use MCC stampers, dye and QA.

“rigid” my butt. Their CMC DVD+R 2.4x media only burns well for me in the NEC burner. The Plextor won’t go near it and even the Pioneer isn’t thrilled.

Singapore media is actually made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (that’s where their factory is). Any Verbatim/Mitsubishi media made elsewhere (India, Taiwan) is made by other companies using MCC dye and equipment, but generally the quality of the Singapore media is best.

confirmed.

i recently got some jewel case dvd-r dlp made in taiwan. now look at my scan(s… as the other ones have been similar):

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. I agree that the MCC Verbs made in Singapour definitely seem to be excellent discs but everything else is questionable. I remember that there were a whole bunch of problems last year when Verbatim went through a bunch of batches that were made by CMC. Verbatim lost many a customer from that. :wink: