Verbatim Ultralife Gold $49.50 + S/H

vbimport

It’s not exactly a bargain, but still almost $20 cheaper than the next lowest price.
http://www.mediasupply.com/veulgoargr47.html

Consensus seems to be that archival-grade gold media is a waste of money. Are these really better than just using regular Verbs?

I didn’t even know verbatim made these. They do not seem to be the same as the other gold disks we have seen though. Other gold disks use a gold layer to record on (didn’t work as well as silver layers though they wouldn’t oxidize). These almost seem to have a standard silver recording layer and a gold protective layer to protect the silver layer from oxidation. I had thought that it was usually the dye layer that failed first though, so would these do any good? Maybe under harsh humid environments?

Per the Verbatim rep I spoke with, these are legit discs. The rep stated the gold archival disc manufacturing is much better today then it used to be. According to them, the regular DVD’s last 100 years while the gold archival discs last 120 years, according to their accelerated testing. They (tech support) said I could call back tomorrow and speak with an engineer.

“the regular DVD’s last 100 years while the gold archival discs last 120 years”

In 100 years it won’t matter if your dvds are still readable because tech. will have advanced so much. Just think how outdated cassette tapes and Walkmen are. O and many of us will have perished by then as well, bummer.

Here are some results from using this Ultralife media:
http://dvd-r.jpn.org/test2/qcheckformv.cgi?mode=main&name=Verbatim_UltraLifeGOLD

Not that impressive, but within spec with most of the drives tested.

Some data will be valuable to future generations. Photographs and videos come to mind.

How many of us have photographs from prior generations? Many of us do.

With so many people doing their photography digitally, the archival qualities of the media used to save these images is very important.

I don’t share Verbatim’s optimism about the longevity of any burned media, but I definitely share their view of its importance.

Right, but unlike photographs which are physical things. Digital photos, movies, and music can all be back up in the future on newer technology just as they were on the DVDs. That was the point I was trying to make before. In 100 years time, TBs of storage will come in forms so small and cheap we cannot imagine them.

these are made by MAM-A, formerly known as Mitsui.
these are the same as you found in those Memorex Pro, they are either made in France or Made in the US

What is made by MAM-A? The Ultralife discs are made by Prodisc…

Umm… NO

I have no idea where you heard that. These are MCC02RG20 made by Prodisc (unfortunately) with the semi-gold reflective layer and hardcoat. It’s a good price, but I don’t trust Prodisc to make anything that will last.

Maxell BQ ftw! :bow:

I’d even go so far as to say all of us! :flower:

I am in my 60s, do you really think I care if my DVDs last 100 years. Even my son will probably trash them in 10 years as technology is advancing at such a fast pace, I don’t even buy green banannas anymore.:disagree:

And to think, I watched a TV show the other night on producing the old records and they said there is still a demand for them because people say their quality is better that CD.

Mack

You got any old records, do you believe that the quality is better on vinyl, I don’t, I wish I had all my old vinyl records if they were really worth anything. Most entertainment Center would be laughable at a turntable nowadays.:iagree:

I remember how records sounded on mid-range record-players before the CD was introduced, and the improvement in sound quality from LP to CD was staggering!

With high-end equipment and rare and expensive records (e.g. special pressings from Japan) it’s possible to get some aspects of sound quality on an LP to compete with a really good CD, but signal/noise and dynamic range aren’t among those qualities.

I went from LP to CD in 1984 and I’m never ever ever ever ever going back! :wink:

Just my opinion of course. :cool:

My God I would be 150 something. Half the time I can’t find my teeth now. LOL

Looking on verbatims site, these look different than the mam-a gold disks that were sold under other brands like kodak etc. The mam-a disks use a gold reflective layer. The verbatim use a standard silver reflective layer, but in addition have a transparent gold layer that is supposed protect the silver layer. I couldn’t find much info beyond that on their site.

As far as the 100 year plus claims, I’m not so sure I believe that. The question is, in real life, do they last longer (and is there really any way to know)? If the dye layer breaks down, does it mater if the reflective layer is still good?

If you really need a reliable storage for that long, just buy a hard drive that’s built for abuse, test it, then store all your valuables on there, put that hard drive in a safety deposit box, and over time, move the data onto the current norm.

R Saotome, how is the FW BSRB for the BenQ 1640. I haven’t paid attention to the firmware lately and did not even know the R firmware launched. I am still using the BSLB and I love it. The last time I used BSPB was almost a year ago and it is not as good and the BSQB produced some weird spikes in other peeps burner so I did not even bother with it.

Reguarding of the Verb, if it is made by prodisc, yuk yuk
not worth it