Verbatim TYG03 reading speed drops near end of disc

Speed seems to drop near the end of disc when performing transfer rate tests of Verbatim TYG03 media using a HL-DT-STDVDRAM GSA-4163B (A106) drive . I get similar results for both media burned with this or other drives. Is this a drive related problem?

Most likely, yes. Try performing a “Burst Rate” test from the Run Test menu and tell us the result.

You should get something like 22-23 MB/s and anything lower than approx. 14 MB/s would prevent your drive from reaching 10x reading speed at the end of the disc.

• Changed thread title to something more descriptive * *

Should media burned on this drive test OK with other drives or would I get similar results?

• This thread will be split to avoid hijacking and the subsequent confusion…done * *

Some posts (and part of one post) moved to another thread:

YUDEN000 T03 bad TRTs on Pioneer DVR-112

@makabre: Please don’t hijack threads like this.

Should media burned on this drive test OK with other drives or would I get similar results?

It should read up to 16x or 12x depending on what speed the drive reads burnt discs. See what happens if you have another drive to test with. If it reads absolutely fine you know that the LG has issues with the burns because they aren’t that good.

Try a burst rate test as Drage recommended.

“Burst Rate” is only 11MB/s. IDE Channel is working in Ultra DMA Mode 2 transfer mode.

You using an 80 wire IDE cable? Best bet is to go to a PC shop and buy one. Just ask for an 80 wire IDE cable with two connectors on it (just incase they try and rip you off by giving you one with a single connecter). It will only cost a few dollars.

I am already using the correct cable.

I have had the same problem as You and I also used a 80 cable. I had to change the position of the burner to achieve a better speed. I put it on IDE1 on it’s own as ‘master’ and the DMA mode stayed on 4-5 as it should be (I was told here on CDFreaks that DMA 2 is no good for high-speed burners).

The dive is currently connected to the secondary IDE channel as device 0 (master). I have a different drive connected to the primary IDE channel and its burst rate is reported to be around 38 MB/s. Will moving to the primary IDE channel make a difference?

Is there anything else on the same IDE channel that may be somehow slowing it down? I would use an elimination process and completely leave the LG by itself on the one IDE cable to see what happens.

You can also try uninstalling the IDE channel your writer is on then restart your PC, it will then re-detect it upon reboot and possibly rectify the fault.

Trying to think of what else it can be…

Hmm if the Primary IDE channel is fine with 38MB/s I would simply use the IDE cable from the Secondary and put it onto the primary to see if it still works @ 38MB/s. If not you have the wrong cable and it’s 40 wire instead of 80 wire.

There is only one drive on the primary ide channel set as master and only one on the secondary ide channel set as master. Both cables are identical. The reported Ultra DMA Mode 2 seems correct as it is also what is reported by the BIOS. The question is what should be the speed when using this transfer mode?

It should go to at least 23-25MB/s on any optical drive when using UDMA2. Try hooking it up to the primary channel and making it the slave of the primary channel and see what happens.

Not sure where on here you heard that? My Samsung SH-S182D is UDMA2 and manages 18x burns with ease. Ditto my BenQs - manage 16x burns very well at UDMA2.

As for my 4163B (now retired) - I had to patch it with MCSE to get 16x reading, hope that helps. :)…and yes, UDMA2 is correct for the 4163B, although as others have said, the burst rate is well below what it should be. But also be aware that with a 40 wire cable, DMA will still be Mode 2 for the LG.

CD pirate’s idea of swapping the IDE cables around is an excellent one :wink:

It happened over at the Pioneer section of the forum. I had the same CDSpeed graph like the guy is having and I remember they told me to set it to DMA 4 instead of 2. When I finally managed to do that AND disconnect a HDD that apparently slowed down the reading the burner achieved its max read-speed.My comment is on reading not burning (I haven’t tested high-speed burning on DMA2).

Ohhhh, I see now.

Well, some drives are meant to run at UDMA4 (Pioneer, LiteOn etc), and some run at UDMA2 (Samsung, older LGs, BenQ etc). All are capable of high speed burns (16x+).

To get the UDMA Mode 4 that Pioneers and Liteys etc run at though, you need an 80 wire cable.

Just because a drive runs at UDMA2 doesn’t mean that mode is “no good for high-speed burners” - it all depends on the individual drive and what it’s specced to run at. :wink:

I managed to swap the ide cable and set the LG drive as master on the primary ide channel, but I am still getting the same low burst rate.

Is it time to get a new drive?

You could try the drive in a friends PC to see what happens. It’s a cost effective way of doing things. If it works fine then the problem is your PC setup and nothing to do with your drive. Getting a new drive could be a waste of money and not solve any problems.